• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Thieves' World] Murder at the Vulgar Unicorn (full)

Lars Wodensson

First Post
Request to join game in progress

I got an e-mail from one of the other players I met on the Thieves' World Yahoo Group who told me you might have an opening. I have two players I created before I joined this site, but I don't know if they will fit in with your current group, or meet what you are needing for the next stage of the adventure.
What I have is an Ilsigi Godsworn whose background is Entrepreneur (he is a stonemason/architect) His god is Siveni, and his goal is to rebuild the temple to her in Sanctuary.
The other character is a Nisibisi Assassin with Dyareelan Cultist as his background. Now instead of killing for the bloody hand, he kills for his own profit and tries to bury his sordid past.

I know you already have a Godsworn and a Assassin character in the group, so I can come up with something else pretty quick if needed that will fit the storyline better.
Just let me know , and also if you have a particular cahracter class/background in mind. I'm flexible.
Thanks,
Lars

Lars Wodensson

First Post
New Character

Name: Derleth Verkan
1st level Wrigglie Ranger
background: Soldier
Height 5'8"
Weight: 155 lbs
Hair: dark blond
Eyes: grayish blue
deity: Sostreia, Lady of the Underworld
Str: 14 (+2)
Dex: 16 (+3)
Con: 14 (+2)
Int:12 (+1)
Wis:12 (+1)
Cha:8 (-1)

Hit Points: 10

Fortitude: +4
Reflex: +5
Will: +2

Armor Class: 16
Base Speed: 30
Attack bonus :+3 melee, +4 Ranged
Feats: Maze Savvy, Track, Manhunter
Languages: speaks Sanctan, Rankene, Ilsigi, read/write Rankene
Special Abilities: Ranger's favored environment: Underground +2 bonus on checks to Hide, Listen, Move Silent, Search, Spot, and Survival when in this environment.
Armor Check penalty reduced by 1 and +1 Max Dex bonus (due to Soldier background)
Skills: ranks/bonus modifiers
Climb 1 +2
Disable device 2 +1
Gamble 1 +1
Gather Information 2 -1
Hide 3 +3
Ride 1 +3
Knowledge:local 4 +1
Knowledge: dungeons 1 +1
listen 2 +1
Move Silently 4 +3
open lock 1 +3
search 3 +1
sense motive 1 +1
spot 3+1
survival 1
swim 1 +2
use rope 1 +3
read Rankene 1
speak Ilsigi 1

Weapons:
Longsword d8 crit 19-20 x2 15 sh
Light Crossbow 1d8 crit 19-20 x2 and 20 bolts (heirloom no cost)
Daggers (2) d4 crit 19-20 x2 4 sh

Armor: studded leather +3 to AC 25 sh

Equipment:
Thieves tools 30 sh
Silk rope and grapple 100 ft 21 sh
5 rope pitons and hammer 1 sh
bullseye lantern and oil flask 12 sh
travellers outfit (black) 1 sh
2 belt pouches 2 sh
flint & steel 1 sh
chalk 1 pd
Briar wood pipe and tamper 1 sh
Bone Dice (hand made)

money left: 13 shabooze 15 padpols

Derleth is a mercenary/bounty hunter Ranger hired by the Town Guard and the Magistrate from time to time for special assignments deemed too sensitive or too difficult for the regular guards and to track down criminals who have eluded the Sharda and the Guard.
He was born and raised in Sanctuary by an Ilsigi Father, who was a soldier and taught him to use his weapons and a Rankan Mother who taught him to speak and read Rankene. His specialty is infiltrating tunnels, dungeons and caverns, but also in tracking down evaders of the law wherever they may try to hide within or outside the city walls. He has long sinewy muscled arms and legs and a lean frame. His dirty blond hair is cropped short and he has a light brown mustache and goatee. His gray-blue eyes fix those he looks at with a piercing gaze, as if looking right through them. He typically wears a black or gray tunic with black leather pants and black studded leather armor. A black wool cloak when needed rounds out his attire when cold or rainy outside. His mannerisms are gruff and taciturn. His humor dark.
When not working he likes to drink and gamble and occasionaly partake of a little krrf now and then which he smokes in a pipe. His favorite activity is the exploring of new, unknown tunnels, and caves which he does on the job and off. He is single and has no children.(that he knows of or claims anyway) He frequents the Aphrodisia House occasionaly, when he has enough shabooze for services rendered.

I put revisions in red. I swapped out Intimidate for Ride skill as an afterthough, and because the -1 from Cha pretty well negates the skill rank.

Last edited:

I've been out of town since Friday so just now had time to get online and check the boards.

Lars, I'll look over your character today and make sure everything looks good.

Everyone, I'll get a new post up soon in the IC thread.

Lars, on my initial scan of your character, I noticed you've spent 38 points on attributes. Total point buy for this game is 30 points so you are over by quite a bit. Go ahead and correct that and make the appropriate changes to skills, saves and anything else affected by attribute bonuses. Just dropping Strength and Dexterity by 1 each will save you 5 points and leave the attribute bonuses the same (+2 and +3 respectively). You would still have to trim 3 points somewhere else however.

Everyone, I'll have a new post up shortly. I want to work Lars in right away and I should be able to do that by having him already at the Vulgar Unicorn waiting for you all as the town guard representative on your team.

MummyKitty

First Post
Jim, I also was wondering if you mind if we split up. I'm fine staying with the group if that would be better. Also for creating NPC contacts, can we also use the 30 point buy for attributes or are they on a different scale? I was going to create a preistess contact for Kadramis. Or do you want to create all NPCs based on our background concepts?

Lars Wodensson

First Post
Character revisions

OK, maybe I am not understanding this point buy system for attributes. I will lower Str and Dex 1 each, but I don't understand how that eliminates 5 points. What else can I reduce to get rid of the other 3 points? Can you clarify this for me, because this is new to me since I have never done play by post games.
Also I was thinking about changing from heavy crossbow to light crossbow, just on the basis that it takes a full round to re-load the thing every time. I like the damage the heavy inflicts but on further thought maybe it's impractical. Also I was thinking I might move some skill points around, taking 1 each from spot and search and adding to Local knowledge to reflect the fact that he has lived in Sanctuary his whole life. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for your help.

Lars

Lars Wodensson

First Post
Thanks for the help

Thanks MummyKitty, the site link was a big help. Good to see I'm not the only insomniac tonight. Can't wait to get started in the game. I've been trying to come up with some more backstory for Derleth, but it's slow going. I like to make my characters as in depth as possible. Guess it's the writer in me.

Lars

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads