• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Things you did NOT like about Fellowship of the Ring.

Harlequin

First Post
Gee wiz...

I dont really want to come off as a winer about the whiners whinning that the movie wasnt the perfect thing they had in thier minds but all this whinning is really pissing me off...

theres a whine for you

If PJ listened to any of the complaints people have had after he made his movie he would of locked up the reels in a box put in in a waterproof case (hopefully) and filled the outer case with cement, throw it into the deepest depths of an ocean, so no one could enjoy what in my mind is the greatest cinematic experience of high adventure there has ever been made...

Okay so it wasnt perfect, what in life is?
whether a movie, relationship, book, internet post or anything else in life

"Oh i hate the way they portrayed Gandalf, i hate Saruman, Sauron was a woose, Arwen sucks, Gimli was crap, Legolas was too girly, all the hobbits are sucky, Orthanc wasnt how i wanted it to be, Isengard wasnt cool enough, the orcs were cheap looking, Aragorn wasnt rangery enough or kingly enough, Boromir's death scene was too soppy, Galadriel's temptation was too scary or too comical, they rushed thru Lothlorien Moria was too dark i couldnt see, Elrond wasnt elfy enough, the Balrog didnt have wings, the Balrog had wings, Hobbitton was too happy, the hobbits were gay, the Ringwraiths sound like women, the ring wasnt gold enough, Narsil wasnt reforged, Lurtz wasnt in the book, Orcs born in pods, i didnt know what was happening in the fight scenes - the camera shakes too much, i didnt like the logo, Boromirs horn was a wounded duck, the fireworks were too much, the waterfalls in Rivendell didnt flow, there was a van in a scene, i hated the soundtrack, Gandalfs death scene was crap, the movie was too melodromatic, i saw the troll scene and i knew what was coming, Pippen and Merry where abbot and costello, they pulled Gimli's beard, everything happened in a week, there was no character development - i wanted 30 minutes of dialogue for every character in the movie..."

BLAH BLAH B L A H ! ! !

PEOPLE its one mans vision of the books

ITS NOT YOU OWN PERSONAL VISION

Enjoy the movie for what it is

a MOVIE

Gee wiz i didnt realise how many totally anal people there are on the net

I've seen the movie four times now and will see it many more
before the DVD comes out, its not perfect but its a fantastic piece
of cinematic film...enjoy it for what it is

Okay call me a fanboy
I am

Harlequin

Last edited:

d12

First Post
There was nothing wrong with the movie - the Shire looked like the shire, Galdalf was Gandalf, etc... The script was great, the acting good and the action and scary parts were very well done. I'm a 25 year old American male who has seen quite a lot of movies and television and I JUMPED when the Cave troll came around the pillar Frodo was hiding behind. I haven't jumped at a movie since 1984.

In terms of pure entertainment value, this is the best movie I've ever seen. It is better than Star Wars, better than Crouching Tiger, better than the Matrix. I could post a few compalints about the BOOK, but that's not what this post is about so I'll be good.

[ducks behind counter]

Eye of the beholder

A2Z said:

I have to agree with this. I wish they could have done something a little different here. It bothered me a little when she started glowing and fairly screaming. It was a little much I think.

Takes all types I suppose, this was probably my favorite scene in the film. I was afraid they would underplay it and not convey the sheer power that Galadriel has.

~shrugs~

Rashak Mani

First Post
OK so its Peter Jackson view of Lord of the Rings... and we are here to complain and bicker about his view ... no one gets it right 100%... we are discussing if he got it 90% correct or 88% correct.

I found the complaints interesting because they pointed out specific things I hadnt noticed myself. Things that make me appreciate the book even more and the film no less. Some of the differences I now beleive were well done. I will start a what did you like most from the film post to do the opposite... to discuss what PJ hit on the spot.

Remember... the difference between a great movie and a good movie isnt much... a little care and vision are the difference between a blockbuster only or a film made eternal.

Sauron

First Post
Sigh.

So, this is what backlash is like.

All of you have forgotten how your body trembled when the movie started rolling, the wonderful feeling you had after seeing the movie, the goofie smile you wore for days afterwards.

All that has faded from you...and that's a shame. I still smile goofily when I think of the movie. In fact, I may just go see it again today just because I want to feel that magic again.

Poke at the movie if you will. It is impervious to your jabbings...head to toe in mithril and untouchable.

King_Stannis

Explorer
Re: Sigh.

Sauron said:
So, this is what backlash is like.

All of you have forgotten how your body trembled when the movie started rolling, the wonderful feeling you had after seeing the movie, the goofie smile you wore for days afterwards.

All that has faded from you...and that's a shame. I still smile goofily when I think of the movie. In fact, I may just go see it again today just because I want to feel that magic again.

Poke at the movie if you will. It is impervious to your jabbings...head to toe in mithril and untouchable.

careful with the generalizations, my man. i made it abundantly clear that it was one of my favorite movies of all time. but favorite does not necessarily mean perfect.

there's a difference between being a tolkien-nut who hates the movie because they didn't give you aragorn's entire history in flashback, and being fan who has some legitimate criticism.

and yes, it was magical - even after the third time.

A2Z

Explorer
Re: Eye of the beholder

Malcor Sylverwood said:

Takes all types I suppose, this was probably my favorite scene in the film. I was afraid they would underplay it and not convey the sheer power that Galadriel has.

~shrugs~

Really! I kind of thought it was overdone. I understand she's probably the most powerful elf left in middle-earth, however it bothered me a bit to see her pull back and start raving about the havoc she could cause. Oh well, you're right. Everyone is different. You can't please everyone all the time.

Last edited:

Lothaire

First Post
The only thing that really displeased me was the attack on weathertop was caused in the movie by Merry and Pippin making a cooking fire, whereas in the book it was due more to the skill and cunning of the Nazgul.

And yes I really like the movie, but I don't consider it the epitome of cinema.

-edited to correct spelling

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Re: Eye of the beholder

Malcor Sylverwood said:

This scene was perhaps the only thing I found disappointing in the movie. Have you ever heard this done in the BBC radio production of the LotR? It's perhaps my favorite scene in all 13 hours; the woman playing Galadriel sends chills up and down your spine as her voice rises, and you truly grasp how terrible and beautiful she really would be. No turning purple, no special effects, just good acting. Cate Blanchett could have easily carried it, too, but the vocal distortion and color changes really dampened the impact for me. Ah, well; if this is all I have to be disappointed about, I'm not really disappointed, am I? I just saw it a third time, and it's still amazing.

Last edited:

Remove ads