• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Things you did NOT like about Fellowship of the Ring.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Re: Re: Eye of the beholder

Piratecat said:
...I just saw it a third time, and it's still amazing.

Y'know, me too. My wife expressed interest in seeing it again. If my WIFE, the avowed queen of suspense and murder mystery thrillers, whose favorite movies involve serial killers and wife-beaters, who hates supernatural elements in a movie, wants to see it again, that's really saying something.

I definitely seem to be in the minority on the 'temptation of Galadriel' scene, but thats OK...I'm used to it! :D

I'm not saying it could have been better if they had gone so far with it...but I'm not saying it would have been worse either. Anyway, as it stands I love it.

In fact, overall, I loved Galadriel. I thought she was well played from start to end. Now if we get the gift giving scene on a director's cut DVD, I'll REALLY be happy.

Uller

Adventurer
It took WAY WAY too long for things to get going...I mean, 17 years?!?!

Tom Bombadil seemed like a big waste of time. Sure, he was silly and gay and all, but what did he really add to the story?

Gandalf didn't cast enough flashy magic spells.

The chapter on Lothlorien was too long. I don't care about the damn leaves. Show me orcs getting cleaved...Besides, we had enough "Elves are pretty...Elves are neat" crap in Rivendell...what did Lothlorian add that couldn't have been covered in Rivendell?

The whole thing was too long...c'mon...350+ pages and this is as far as they got?!?!

Oh wait...you wanted complaints about hthe MOVIE?

I have none. It was a great movie. Sure it was different from the book, and sure there are things in the book that I'd have liked to see on the big screen....but as far a cinematic experiences go, it was nearly perfect.

The books were great, too, but I've never seen a movie and I've never read a book that I wouldn't have done just a tad differently.

Sammael99

First Post
Very simply put, I didn't like :

* the cave troll (unconvincing video game feel)

* most of the combats (jerky, fake HK action feel)

* how the uruk-hai were stormtroopers (aragorn takes 15 on with a smile and ends up with a cut)

* the power of the ring on people : gandalf, bilbo and galadriel were played by fine enough actors that they could convey the same feeling without any kind of special effects... Galadriel being the worse

* the chopped Lothlorien scenes

It was a good movie, probably one of the best in Fantasy (but that's not saying much...) but come on, in no way is it a masterpiece. In 50 years people will still be talking about Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Brazil. FoTR will go down in the dungeons of film history. let's stop pretending it's a godsent chef d'oeuvre of a movie, please !

Sammael99 said:
It was a good movie, probably one of the best in Fantasy (but that's not saying much...) but come on, in no way is it a masterpiece. In 50 years people will still be talking about Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Brazil. FoTR will go down in the dungeons of film history. let's stop pretending it's a godsent chef d'oeuvre of a movie, please !

Really? 37,940 votes at imdb.com would seem to disagree with you. Its currently #2 behind 'Godfather' and above all the movies you mentioned.

~shrugs~
Time will tell...

King_Stannis

Explorer
saying that FotR will reside in the dungeons of film history is a little harsh. actually, it's alot harsh.

while it won't (and probably isn't) be remembered as the greatest film of all time, it is a phenomenon. and, unlike anything before, it's a three-year phenomenon. talk of these films will dominate for the next 3-4 years straight.

they will be remembered by alot of people in 50 years. alot.

Sammael99

First Post
Malcor Sylverwood said:

Really? 37,940 votes at imdb.com would seem to disagree with you. Its currently #2 behind 'Godfather' and above all the movies you mentioned.

~shrugs~
Time will tell...

As for that last bit, you're absolutely right.

On the rest, I'm not sure if 38000 voters out of millions of viewers mean much... If 38000 thousand voters is all it takes to become number one, it doesn't mean very much.

As I said, I enjoyed the movie, but to be honest, I find it scary that some people here seem to resent the fact that the movie can be criticised...

Sammael99 said:
On the rest, I'm not sure if 38000 voters out of millions of viewers mean much... If 38000 thousand voters is all it takes to become number one, it doesn't mean very much.

I admit, its a fairly small sample...but it's the largest on the net that I know of. Its actually rated tho, so those votes average out to a 8.9/10. For contrast the Godfather is at 9.0 with 47,522 votes. Not the end all by any means, but impressive...

As I said, I enjoyed the movie, but to be honest, I find it scary that some people here seem to resent the fact that the movie can be criticised...
You'll find that with just about any movie that people love. Try critisizing Star Wars sometime, it can get ugly... ;)

Sammael99

First Post
King_Stannis said:
saying that FotR will reside in the dungeons of film history is a little harsh. actually, it's alot harsh.

while it won't (and probably isn't) be remembered as the greatest film of all time, it is a phenomenon. and, unlike anything before, it's a three-year phenomenon. talk of these films will dominate for the next 3-4 years straight.

they will be remembered by alot of people in 50 years. alot.

OK. I'll admit it was harsh.

But I honestly don't think the movie, on its own merits (take off the marketing hype and the huge advertising campaign) stands the ground vs. what is considered a movie masterpiece. That's what I meant.

OK guys, sorry about spoiling your fun. Back to cloaking mode, fire away...

Remove ads