• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thinking about Warhammer?

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Which brings me to my next question whar are the quality of the Warhammer novels?

Some are great (particularly Nathan Long's efforts with the seminal WHFRPG iconics Gotrek and Felix, nd CL.L. Werner's Witch Hunter novels))

Some are abysmal (I tossed them and, unfortunately, don't remember the titles)

as time goes on flight fantasy games will probably get more
I'm sure they will. But considering the sheer volume of stuff that Black Industries had on their site, it's gonna take a while for FFG to catch-up.

By the way, a poster named Sythorn over on the FFG boards nice enough to compile all the BI stuff into a MediaFire download folder (if you don't feel like hunting and picking through the BI archived site like I posted earlier):

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

Treebore

First Post
I'm sure they will. But considering the sheer volume of stuff that Black Industries had on their site, it's gonna take a while for FFG to catch-up.

By the way, a poster named Sythorn over on the FFG boards nice enough to compile all the BI stuff into a MediaFire download folder (if you don't feel like hunting and picking through the BI archived site like I posted earlier):

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

Thanks! If you could, let Sythorn know I appreciate what they did as well!

Sir Oliver

First Post
This spring, after two years of DM burnout, I started running my first WFRP game. Never had such fun times as a GM: lots of improvisation in a setting oozing with flavor.

I like Old World because it's very clearly and firmly inspired by Medieval Europe: Tilea is Renaissance Italy, Bretonnia is inspired by chivalric romances of France and England, Empire is the Holy German Empire... Europan names, customs, legends, politics, superstitions - it's all there in the Old World. As a GM, I love playing with things like that.

I like Warhammer because all of the effort obviously invested in maintaining a very distinctive flavor: in concept artwork, maps, quotes, even book designs. Merely skimming through WFRP rulesbook gave me ideas for NPCs, enemies or plot hooks.

I like Warhammer because it's magic is actually mysterious, dangerous and unpredictable.

I like Warhammer because it's, basically, "Blackadder: The RPG". ^_^

Sir Oliver

First Post
Which brings me to my next question whar are the quality of the Warhammer novels?
In general I try to keep away from any RPG-inspried novels: I never enjoyed fantasy novels set in Forgotten Realms. Even so, I was more then delighted by Jack Yeovil's "Vampire Genevieve" series of novels (actually, more like a bunch of short stories). Yeovil (alternate penname of British fantasy writer Kim Newman) doesn't waste his time re-iterating facts about gods and amgic as many D&D novels are prone to do. Instead, he tries to convey the feel of Warhammer and succeeds marvelously. One of his Genevieve stories is a gothic horror inspired by all of the famous gothic novels of our own world. The other clearly draws inspiration from "Phantom of the Opera". Third one describes a mass murderer in Altdorf very much like Jack the Ripper.

Very entertaining and fun novels to read.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
This spring, after two years of DM burnout, I started running my first WFRP game. Never had such fun times as a GM: lots of improvisation in a setting oozing with flavor.

Ditto

I like Old World because it's very clearly and firmly inspired by Medieval Europe: Tilea is Renaissance Italy, Bretonnia is inspired by chivalric romances of France and England, Empire is the Holy German Empire... Europan names, customs, legends, politics, superstitions - it's all there in the Old World. As a GM, I love playing with things like that.

Same here :)

I like Warhammer because all of the effort obviously invested in maintaining a very distinctive flavor: in concept artwork, maps, quotes, even book designs. Merely skimming through WFRP rulesbook gave me ideas for NPCs, enemies or plot hooks.

Agreed 100%!

I like Warhammer because it's magic is actually mysterious, dangerous and unpredictable.

Best part about it. It's like you are speaking my thoguhts...

I like Warhammer because it's, basically, "Blackadder: The RPG". ^_^

Then, suddenly, this. :erm:

Sir Oliver

First Post
Then, suddenly, this. :erm:
Yeah, yeah, I know. It's supposed to be all grim and gritty.... But on the other hand, in "Enemy Within" campaign there are drunk NPC noblemen vomiting on PCs, a giant cocroach-man playing a harpischord and a dwarven engineer named Isembeard Brunel.

Compared to that, things that happen in my campaign - PCs getting drunk and plotting absurdly complex schemes to make themselves rich and famous - are practically serious in tone. Otherwise, I do have a tendency toward moronic, fanatical and/or assinine NPCs, but these kind of people are pretty much a regularity in Warhammer world.

Last edited:

Remove ads