D&D 5E This is a directory of posters who think the sorcerer needs fixing

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
#1. More Sorcery Points. Equal to half your sorcerer level.
#2. extra spells equal to your Charisma modifier.
#3. Allow the Sorcerer to cast spells from the Wizard spell list if they so desire.

I'm playing a sorcerer, and from my personal experience these changes would make it better.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
#1. More Sorcery Points. Equal to half your sorcerer level.
#2. extra spells equal to your Charisma modifier.
#3. Allow the Sorcerer to cast spells from the Wizard spell list if they so desire.

I'm playing a sorcerer, and from my personal experience these changes would make it better.

I once made a subclass that did that. It was lost in the crash.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I once made a subclass that did that. It was lost in the crash.

It wasn't this, was it? (I think I based this on one of the subclasses on ENWorld pre-crash, but I'm pretty sure I tweaked it a little, so it may not be exactly as you remember it.)

You have no indication where your powers come from, you simply have them. Magic is as natural to you as breathing, though some magics feel more natural than others.

*Talented*
At 1st level, choose a school of magic. You gain an additional cantrip, from this school from the wizard list.

Additionally, at sorcerer levels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10, the spell you learn may be chosen from the wizard list as long as it belongs to that school and is of an appropriate level.

*Natural*
Understanding magic comes naturally to you, so you've had time to hone other skills. At 1st level, you are proficient in Light armor, Shields, and Simple weapons.

Additionally, you are proficient in the Arcana skill, and have advantage on Arcana checks pertaining to your chosen school of magic.

*Arcane Recovery*
At 6th level, when you finish a short rest, you may recover expended sorcery points, up to half your sorcerer level. You must complete a long rest before using this again.

*Ephemeral Arcana*
Starting at 14th level, you can improvise magics previously beyond you. During a short rest you can prepare spells, which remain prepared until your next long rest. These spells do not count against your spells known, but must come from the sorcerer or wizard list and belong to your chosen school of magic. For each spell prepared in this way, you must expend sorcery points equal to one plus the level of the spell.

*The Cycle Arcane*
At 18th level, when you cast a spell of your chosen school of 1st level or higher, you regain 1 expended sorcery point.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
I make the following changes to sorcerers in my house rules:

Natural Casters
Sorcerers gain their magic not through study or discipline, but through natural, in-born magical talent. Their magic is in their blood, and so they do not require material components, or focuses, to cast their spells.

Metamagic
At 3rd level, you gain the ability to twist your spells to suit your needs. You gain all of the following Metamagic options (in other words, all of them).

The Wild Mage gets the following overhaul:

Wild Magic Surge
Starting when you choose this origin at 1st level, your spellcasting can unleash surges of untamed magic. Immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, roll a d20. If you roll a 1, roll on the Wild Magic Surge table to create a random magical effect.

Tides of Chaos
Starting at 1st level, you can manipulate the forces of chance and chaos to gain advantage on one attack roll, ability check, or saving throw. Once you do so, you must either have a Wild Magic Surge or finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
It wasn't this, was it? (I think I based this on one of the subclasses on ENWorld pre-crash, but I'm pretty sure I tweaked it a little, so it may not be exactly as you remember it.)

You have no indication where your powers come from, you simply have them. Magic is as natural to you as breathing, though some magics feel more natural than others.

*Talented*
At 1st level, choose a school of magic. You gain an additional cantrip, from this school from the wizard list.

Additionally, at sorcerer levels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10, the spell you learn may be chosen from the wizard list as long as it belongs to that school and is of an appropriate level.

*Natural*
Understanding magic comes naturally to you, so you've had time to hone other skills. At 1st level, you are proficient in Light armor, Shields, and Simple weapons.

Additionally, you are proficient in the Arcana skill, and have advantage on Arcana checks pertaining to your chosen school of magic.

*Arcane Recovery*
At 6th level, when you finish a short rest, you may recover expended sorcery points, up to half your sorcerer level. You must complete a long rest before using this again.

*Ephemeral Arcana*
Starting at 14th level, you can improvise magics previously beyond you. During a short rest you can prepare spells, which remain prepared until your next long rest. These spells do not count against your spells known, but must come from the sorcerer or wizard list and belong to your chosen school of magic. For each spell prepared in this way, you must expend sorcery points equal to one plus the level of the spell.

*The Cycle Arcane*
At 18th level, when you cast a spell of your chosen school of 1st level or higher, you regain 1 expended sorcery point.

Nah, mine focused a lot more heavily on metamagic. It gave more sorcery points, additional metamagic known and either 1d4 sp/combat or select free metamagics. Talented was the same though, sans school.

mellored

Legend
IMO: they do just fine at higher levels, but could use help at lower levels.

I also agree they don't have much in the way of uniqueness.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
The last time I really tried to take a "stab" (heh) at Sorcerers, it was for 4th Edition. At that time, all I came up with was a set of quotes from the Internet and notes for myself, not any finished product. (I think this was from 2011.)

http://old.disinfo.com/archive/pages/article/id762/pg1/
. . .
"Sorcery breaks no law of nature because there is no Natural Law, only the spontaneity of natura naturans, the tao. Sorcery violates laws which seek to chain this flow--priests, kings, hierophants, mystics, scientists & shopkeepers all brand the sorcerer enemy for threatening the power of their charade, the tensile strength of their illusory web."
. . .
"The tactics of ontological anarchism are rooted in this secret Art--the goals of ontological anarchism appear in its flowering. Chaos hexes its enemies & rewards its devotees . . . this strange yellowing pamphlet, pseudonymous & dust-stained, reveals all . . . send away for one split second of eternity."

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/E/bo5356659.html
The University of Chicago Press Books
Ethnographic Sorcery - Harry G. West
. . .
"According to the people of the Mueda plateau in northern Mozambique, sorcerers remake the world by asserting the authority of their own imaginative visions of it. While conducting research among these Muedans, anthropologist Harry G. West made a revealing discovery—for many of them, West’s efforts to elaborate an ethnographic vision of their world was itself a form of sorcery."

"THE SORCERER'S DILEMMA"
• NO REALITY CHECK: Wizards can check reality by referring back to books, and Warlocks can check reality by referring back to patrons, and bards can check reallity by referring back to training, and witches can check reality by referring back to their familiars; but the sorcerer's power comes entirely from within. When you combine that fact with Confirmation Bias, you usually get sorcerers who amplify their own mistakes: once they start going wrong, they keep going farther wrong in the same direction, because they have no external reference point to guide them back from the brink of madness.
• THAT MUCH POWER CREATES ITS OWN REALITY: Sorcerers cause things to conform to their wishes, and think more and more that, "It's true because I say so."
• YOU CAN'T HIDE: The use of arcane power leaves lingering impressions in the places where those powers are used; and those impressions include information about which spells were used, and what kind of source empowered them.

Sorcerers overpower reality. That is both their strength and their weakness: it lets them change reality, but it keeps them from appreciating the true nature of the changes they make.

( "If reality is whatever I say it is, why are those blamed peasants coming for me with torches and pitchforks? I never said they should do so!")

The essential difference between sorcerers and wizards is that the sorcerers "just made things happen": whatever they really wanted to happen, happened. From this, it follows that most sorcerer powers are things that a sorcerer would really like to have happen, over and over again: the powers all have to be emblematic. (Hence, few spells known.)

Sample, new (home-brew) 4th Ed. At-Will Attacks (which would have to be toned down to make them comparable to 5th Ed. Cantrips):
Bending Light ("The energy of your attack writhes and twists as a thing alive, absorbing your enemy's attention and reducing its damage against distant creatures.") Ranged 10 sq. (50 feet), one target, DEX save: 1d8 + CHA radiant damage, and target takes a penalty to damage on its ranged and area attacks equal to your STR modifier until end of your next turn. (in 5th Ed., there is no "area" keyword for attacks)
Consternation ("You imbue your arcane magic with the baleful influence of cosmic aspects to impede your opponent's accuracy.") Ranged 10 sq. (50 feet), one target, WIS save: 1d8 + CHA psychic damage, and the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls and the save DC for DEX saves until end of your next turn. (originally for 4th Ed.: penalty to attacks vs. AC and Reflex)
Pummeling Peal ("Power swells within, and thunder blasts out from you to pummel those nearby.") Close blast 5 sq. (in 5th, it might be Renge "Self," 25 foot cube), each creature, DEX save: 1d6 + CHA thunder damage. Extra for Storm sorcerers: The blast creates a zone filled with echoing thunder that lasts until the end of your next turn. Whenever an enemy ends its turn within the zone, that enemy takes thunder damage equal to your Dexterity modifier.
Shakestaffe ("Inborn magic empowers both ends of your staff at the same time.") Range melee, one target, attack roll vs. AC. Requirement: must be wielding a staff. Primary attack: one target: 1[W] damage, and make a secondary attack against the same target: Secondary attack: CHA damage, and target takes a -2 power penalty to the next attack it makes against you before the end of your next turn.
Special: You can use this power in place of a melee basic attack.
Special: You may apply the extra damage from your Spell Source class feature to both the primary attack and the secondary attack.
(Yeah, the "extra damage from your Spell Source" was a 4th Ed. thing.)
Buckle the Land ("You warp one location so badly that creatures there are forced aside.") Range area 1 sq. (so a 5-foot cube) within 10 sq. (so 50 feet), each creature in area, CON save. Effect: the area is difficult terrain until end of your next turn, and all grabbed ("restrained") conditions within the square end. Hit: 1d6 force damage, and the target is ejected from the target area (subject to the usual restrictions such as resistance to forced movement).

Generally about 5th Ed. Sorcerers: A Favored Soul version would be good, but I would like to see some built-in differentiation based on which deity is being worshipped.
One nice advantage of the current sorcerer class is that it gets its Origin at 1st level, earlier than Bard get their Colleges or Druid get their Circles.
I'm afraid there is no room in the current sorcerer class for things such as cantrips (as, for example, my Pummeling Peal above) that give different results to sorcerers with different Origins, and I miss that from 4th Ed.

I don't think the sorcerer strictly needs fixing in any urgent sense--I have no house rules currently which modify it. But if a player asked for it, I'd be open to:

(1) Sorcerers can learn any spells a wizard could learn, including what a wizard could research with moderate difficulty (e.g. Cone of Flames instead of Cone of Cold); OR
(2) Sorcerers get domain spells (chosen by the DM per-archetype); OR
(3) Sorcerer "spells" are not spells at all, just spell-like abilities: they do not require components of any kind unless those components are expensive, and cannot be Counterspelled.

I wouldn't go for all three simultaneously, and #2 is in some ways the most boring option, so I guess if I were re-designing sorcerers I'd go for #1 and #3 together. #3 is the most interesting to me from a roleplaying perspective and, I think, gives sorcerers a unique flavor a la X-Men. It probably has limited impact on combat, mostly benefiting illusions and out-of-combat roleplaying, whereas #1 has a huge impact on combat from letting the sorcerer pick better spells like Evard's Black Tentacles.

I think implementing #1 and #3 together would suffice to give sorcerers a very distinct feel and niche.

flametitan

Explorer
On the line of more spells, just a greater variety in what a dragon can pick up for their elemental niche would go a long way in giving you more variety than just Fire and Ice dragons. It wouldn't have to be a lot of them, just enough that the sorcerer always has one or two at any given spell tier (and they can swap out the lower level spells for utility/control)

For Green dragons specifically, I would recommend a spell (I'm not sure of what level, probably around that of Elemental Bane, i.e. 3rd or 4th level) that allows you to give creatures vulnerability to poison damage, removes resistance, and turns immunity into resistance. That might help it deal with the fact that almost everything is immune to poison.

Additionally, more non blasty spells. I like the theme of sorcerer spells being raw magic, but that doesn't mean that they have to blast. Surely there's a means of making spells that feel "raw" without having to deal damage?

Remove ads