D&D 5E This is a directory of posters who think the sorcerer needs fixing

ccs

41st lv DM
I haven't played one yet, & i havent seen one played either. So I lack practical xp with the 5e version of the class.
But when I read it? I'm just not inspired by it. It's in that same catagory as monks (wich I do have practical xp with) for me. I guess they work mechanically, they just don't pique my interest....

CapnZapp

Legend
Please unsubscribe me from any further messages/mentions about this topic.

I agree the sorcerer is underdeveloped and will not personally choose to play one until WotC releases a "version 2" of the class (not a "version 1.1").

But that does not mean I'm interested in unofficial versions (3rd party or fan-based). To me, the class is basically a lost cause until (and if) WotC agrees and redoes the class from scratch.

Thanks

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I knew I'd created some sorcerer only spells.

Elemental Dart (sorcerer – this spell replaces scorching ray on the sorcerer spell list)
2nd-level conjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
From raw elemental matter, you form three magical darts of energy and hurl them at targets within range. You can hurl them at one target or several. When you cast this spell choose acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder; the spell deals damage of that type. Make a ranged spell attack for each ray. On a hit, the target takes 2d6 damage of the elemental energy chosen when this spell is cast.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you create an additional dart for each slot level above 2nd.

Elemental Missile (sorcerer)
1st-level conjuration
Range: 120 feet
Duration: Instantaneous
From raw elemental matter, you form three magical motes of energy and direct them to strike at targets within range. Each mote hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A mote deals 1d4+1 elemental damage chosen from the following list when you cast the spell: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several. Elemental Missile is completely blocked by the shield spell just as if it was the magic missile spell.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you create an additional mote for each slot level above 1st.

Flame Spiral (sorcerer)
3rd-level evocation
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
You surround yourself in a vortex of fire, which lashes out at nearby foes. Each creature within range must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 6d6 fire damage. On a successful save, the target takes half the damage.
In addition, for the duration of the spell, whenever a creature within 5 feet of you hits you with a melee attack, the shield erupts with flame and dealing 2d6 fire damage to the attacker.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the initial damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 3rd.

Nahal’s Reckless Dweomer (wild sorcerer)
1st-level evocation
Range: as chosen spell
Duration: as chosen spell
This spell is the wild mage’s ultimate last-resort spell. When cast, the sorcerer releases a sudden flood of wild magical energy in the hope of seizing and shaping that energy into a desired spell effect. The attempt usually fails, but something almost always occurs in the process.
Before casting the spell, the sorcerer announces the spell effect he is trying to create. The spell can be any 1st level spell on the sorcerer spell list. After announcing the spell (along with the target and any other conditions required by the spell), the wild mage casts Nahal’s reckless dweomer. A burst of magical energy is released, which the wild mage tries to manipulate into the desired form. They must roll the wild die and add the level of the spell slot used, if they roll a 10 or less, then the spell operates as normal, otherwise they must roll on the wild magic table.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can attempt to cast a spell of that level or less.

Vortex (wild sorcerer)
5th level evocation
Range: 30 feet
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
A vortex is a swirling mass of magical energy, barely controllable by the caster. On the round of casting, a small sparkle of lights fills the air at the desired position before forming into a 5-foot wide, 10'-tall, multi-coloured tornado. From this moment on, the caster must maintain concentration in order for the vortex to remain.
Each round, the caster can move the vortex 30 feet using their action up to a maximum distance from the caster of 60 feet. However, control of direction is not perfect. The caster has complete control over distance, but can only suggest the desired direction. The caster must make a DC 10 intelligence check when moving the vortex, if he fails the vortex moves randomly in the general direction (either veering off to the right or left of the desired direction).
The vortex cannot pass through objects larger than its area of effect (it could move through a sapling but not an ancient oak tree) and will be redirected by these, rebounding along the general line of movement. For example, if cast in a narrow hallway, the vortex might ricochet down the hall, bouncing from side to side.
The vortex is composed of raw magical energy. Creatures struck by the vortex suffer 8d6 points of arcane damage, with a Dexterity saving throw allowed for half damage.
Each time a creature is struck, there is a chance that the vortex will explode in a wild surge, the wild mage must check by rolling a d20 with a 20 indicating a wild surge. Any surge effect that specifies the caster, instead targets the creature struck by the vortex. If the vortex causes a wild surge, the spell ends immediately.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Sorcerers need significantly less spells know, but significantly more ability to change them around.

No, that doesn't cover it, that's just trying to stay in existing D&D-language.

Let me describe. I want sorcerers to be able to do one thing, but it it damn well. If they can do fire, they can do FIRE - they can shoot blasts, make explosions, cloak themselves in it, use it like jets, etc. If they can control cloth it can become hard like armor, or grab, or make glider wings, or whatever. Shadows can conceal, or hear whispers said in them, or walk through them to other, unconnected shadows.

How would you realize that - something like domains that are linked by a common theme? Making sure all of them have the ability to be upcast? Recovery of SP is you cast using a higher level slot and don't upcast to cover the ones that don't?

And I'd probably break the standard casting model, in the reverse way that the warlock does. The warlock gets very few slots, but gets them powerful. I imaging the sorcerer as able to pull out magic all day long, but the issue when I've tried the spell point varient is that people use just a few of their highest level spells and then are out for the day, so instead of the warlock few/high level I'd give the sorcerer few high level (but recharge on short rest) so they can't just uber-nova, but then lots of low level slots. I wouldn't even mind if at some point they started being able to cast 1st level spells like cantrips, without using up a slot.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Sorcerers need significantly less spells know, but significantly more ability to change them around.

No, that doesn't cover it, that's just trying to stay in existing D&D-language.

Let me describe. I want sorcerers to be able to do one thing, but it it damn well. If they can do fire, they can do FIRE - they can shoot blasts, make explosions, cloak themselves in it, use it like jets, etc. If they can control cloth it can become hard like armor, or grab, or make glider wings, or whatever. Shadows can conceal, or hear whispers said in them, or walk through them to other, unconnected shadows.

How would you realize that - something like domains that are linked by a common theme? Making sure all of them have the ability to be upcast? Recovery of SP is you cast using a higher level slot and don't upcast to cover the ones that don't?

And I'd probably break the standard casting model, in the reverse way that the warlock does. The warlock gets very few slots, but gets them powerful. I imaging the sorcerer as able to pull out magic all day long, but the issue when I've tried the spell point varient is that people use just a few of their highest level spells and then are out for the day, so instead of the warlock few/high level I'd give the sorcerer few high level (but recharge on short rest) so they can't just uber-nova, but then lots of low level slots. I wouldn't even mind if at some point they started being able to cast 1st level spells like cantrips, without using up a slot.

I would realise this like the disciplines for the mystic. If you stop and think about it, this is similar to what you want, if you want a sorcerer that can master fire then there is the mastery of fire for the mystic that grants more and more effects as they level up and can spend more spell points. I'm not saying that you should just roll a mystic, but I think taking the ideas of disciplines could be a good way to go for a simple system of a sorcerer who has fire in the blood.

For a more advanced system, I would use a somewhat free-form system similar to sorcery in Dragonlance saga where the caster could develop spells as needed using different parameters to cast their spells as long as those spells fit within their known realms of sorcery. If using this system, I would probably create some examples so that a player could quickly throw a fireball spell rather than having to try and figure out all the requirements to make a fireball while still giving them the option to use their sorcery to, for instance, shape a ring of fire around someone on the fly.

Mephista

Adventurer
Thoughts on the Sorcerer

1) Better spell list.*

2) More spells known

3) More Sorcery Points / recover on short rest

Honestly, I don't think that the Sorcerer is really that badly designed. It was just designed too conservatively with numbers. And, even now, we can improve the sorcerer with access to more spells, create more metamagic options, and possibly a feat or magic item for Sorcery Points.

My houserule for sorcerer is this:
"Ignore the PHB spell list. If you can make a reasonable argument why your subclass choice should have acess to a spell (as per ST judgement), you can get the spell."
"Here's this custom item that's a sorcerer version of the warlock's pact rod. Have fun."

Haven't really touched making new metamagics, but just having fun with mroe spells seems to work for my game.

Last edited:

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
They need metamagic taken away and given back to the wizard and more focus on bloodline abilities. Where is the Demon, Genie, Old One, etc. bloodlines. Yup better defined bloodlines and metamagic back to the wizard that is what the Sorcerer needs.

Remove ads