• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E This is a directory of posters who think the sorcerer needs fixing

Ketser

First Post
I feel that the class needs some adjustment and that it shouldn't come from adding more spells known, but rather by improving subclass options, metamagic, sorcery points and adding more sorcerer-only spells, the latter being perhaps more flexible than spells for other classes, but in the end the class should be more about the class features than spell or rather a nice mix of them.

The other option would be have an alternate revised sorcerer who perhaps works a bit more like the latest iteration of the mystic class.

But now a longer thought about the sorcerer. This not to bash the class, but rather to talk about the source of its issues.

Talking about the sorcerer generally i feel that the class has had issues from the beginning. Mainly of having a great concept, but suffering from mechanical issues. The original 3.0 sorcerer seemed less like a full class and more like an optional rule.* And in many ways it was that and option to play a "wizard," without the "stupid" fire-and-forget spell system. Most people who i saw playing sorcerers during 3.5 days played sorcerers not because the concept, but because the mechanics were far more convenient for them. I had also a few players who picked the spontaneous casting cleric option from the 3.5 Unearthed Arcana stuff, because they liked it more than "forgetting" spells after casting them. In addition the wizard class was bashed for being worse because of the less convenient looking spellcasting. The sorcerer became the class that was for people that didn't like vancian magic and sadly it was its only shtick.

The neo-vancian spellcasting appeared in earliest playtest packets of D&D next and it became highly popular. Initially only a cleric mechanic, it was soon extended to wizards and later to other spellcasting classes. Considering that half the people liked the old style and the other half wanted it to be purged with fire, it was clear that the neo-vancian style was perhaps the best compromise. WoTC probably realized it already back then that this was going to affect the sorcerer class. Initially, before the decision of making neo-vancian the main thing, they had some very different ideas for the class. The initial playtest sorcerer was a weird hybrid class, that used spell points and gained new abilities as they spent them on spells, becoming "less human." And while that idea didn't work out as they hoped, they had probably something closer to that in mind, when the neo-vancian for wizards was decided. But the every class casts spells differently idea was mostly dropped and it seemed that WoTC was ready to drop the class as a separate entity. In 1 or 2 packets the mage class appeared, which attempted to handle the sorcerer, warlock and wizards as its subclasses, that would still have had arcane school, origin and patron options. WoTC dropped the idea, basically admitting that having a class whose subclasses had subclasses became to messy and probably got a lot feedback noting that people wanted those as separate classes. So in the end the still needed to have a separate sorcerer class and i feel that what ultimately happened with it, but also with the ranger and they weren't sure how to go with the class and just ran out of time.

So we are now here with the sorcerer, whose original shtick does no longer mean anything. The shtick(s) that should become more important are the inborn talent and/or heritage ones, through better class and subclass features. More flexible handling of limited about of spells can also fit there.

Also speaking of innate talent, an actual arcane talent origin would be nice.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Thoughts on the Sorcerer

1) Better spell list.*

2) More spells known

3) More Sorcery Points / recover on short rest

Honestly, I don't think that the Sorcerer is really that badly designed. It was just designed too conservatively with numbers. And, even now, we can improve the sorcerer with access to more spells, create more metamagic options, and possibly a feat or magic item for Sorcery Points.

My houserule for sorcerer is this:
"Ignore the PHB spell list. If you can make a reasonable argument why your subclass choice should have acess to a spell (as per ST judgement), you can get the spell."
"Here's this custom item that's a sorcerer version of the warlock's pact rod. Have fun."

Haven't really touched making new metamagics, but just having fun with mroe spells seems to work for my game.

I had a player that wanted to create a dragon sorcerer using one of the acid blood lines who decided against it after seeing the lack of acid spells on the list. I told him that if he needs acid spells, I was fine for him to take acid spells outside the sorcerer spell list, no reason why a black dragon sorcerer shouldn't be able to pick up Melf's acid arrow. I'd even be fine with simply changing the element of major spells. Want a spell that's like fireball that deals acid damage instead? Done, it's called acidball until we come up with a better name for it. Ideally, we'd alter spells slightly so that the different elements have different effects (Acid might do less initial damage but also do secondary damage the round after) but for starters, just give the spell a different name and a different element.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I've made significant homebrew changes to the sorcerers in my games. I have one player playing one right now and he is enjoying it pretty thoroughly, but he is also not outshining others. Before I list the changes I made, I want to list my goals for a revised sorcerer.

1) Number of spells known: I think it is silly that a level 20 sorcerer can know about 10 fewer spells than a level 20 wizard can prepare, to say nothing of having almost 3 times as many spells in their spell book at minimum. Sorcerers need more spells, but I believe these spells should be reflective of their magical heritage or source.

2) Metamagic: If metamagic is the defining feature of the sorcerer, they should be given more options than 4 throughout their career. Additionally, the metamagic options provided should actually be worthwhile.

3) Sorcery Points: Sorcery points are the fuel for metamagic, as well as the wizard equivalent for Arcane Recovery. This is taxing enough as it is to choose between the two. Given that, I don't believe a sorcerers class abilities should require additional resource expenditure of sorcery points. Sorcerer abilities should be created based on the short rest/long rest recharge as most other abilities for PHB classes.

And so, given these goals, I have created the following adjustments:

General Sorcerer Ability Changes

Sorcerous Bloodline Magic: A sorcerer gains additional spells known related to the source or their power. These spells are gained automatically at the given level, do not count towards the normal number of spells a sorcerer can know, and cannot be traded out for new spells.

Metamagic: Sorcerers learn 2 metamagic options at level 2, level 10, and level 17. This provides a sorcerer with 6 metamagic options by level 20 rather than 4.

Careful Spell: This metamagic option has been changed into the following

When you cast a spell that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, you can protect some of those creatures from the spell’s full force. To do so, you spend 1 sorcery point and choose a number of those creatures up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one creature). A chosen creature automatically succeeds on its saving throw against the spell.

If you choose to spend 3 sorcery points, your chosen creatures are completely unaffected by the spell.

Energy Substitution: This new metamagic option is made available

When you cast a spell with a designated energy damage type, you can spend 2 sorcery points to change the energy damage type to any other energy damage type (1 sorcery point if the spell is a cantrip). You can use Energy Substitution even if you have already used a different Metamagic option during the casting of the spell.

Heighten Spell: Now costs 4 sorcery points.

Empowered Spell: Description has changed as follows

When you cast a spell, you can spend 2 sorcery points to increase the spell’s raw force. If you roll damage for the spell when you cast it, increase the damage against every target by 2d10 damage of the same type as normal for the spell. If the spell can deal damage on more than one turn, it deals this extra damage only on the turn you cast the spell.

You can use Empowered Spell even if you have already used a different Metamagic option during the casting of the spell.

Versatile Spell: Created this new metamagic option

When you cast a spell that requires a saving throw, you can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell’s level to change the saving throw from one ability score to another of your choice (1 sorcery point if the spell is a cantrip).

Limitless Font of Magic: This ability replaces Sorcerous Restoration

At 20th level, whenever you begin your turn with 0 sorcery points, you immediately gain 3 sorcery points.

For this ability, I am also considering whether it would work better written as: At 20th level, whenever you begin your turn with 0 sorcery points, you can use a bonus action to immediately gain 3 sorcery points.

My reasoning for this ability is that it provides the ability for a sorcerer to have constant access to lower level spells in a way similar to Spell Mastery and Signature Spell for the Wizard.

Changes to the Wild Magic Sorcerer

Wild Spark
You add the Chromatic Bolt cantrip to your list of known cantrips (See Below). This cantrips do not count towards your list of known cantrips.

Wild Magic Sorcerer
Level - Spells

1st- Chromatic Orb,* Hex
3rd - Crown of Madness, Mirror Image
5th - Counterspell, Hypnotic Pattern
7th - Confusion, Freedom of Movement
9th - Animate Objects, Circle of Power
*Does not require Material Component, but must roll a d6 to randomly determine energy type of the spell damage.

Bend Luck (Redux)
Starting at 6th level, you have the ability to twist fate using your wild magic. When another creature you can see makes an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can use your reaction to roll 1d6 and apply the number rolled as a bonus or penalty (your choice) to the creature’s roll. You can do so after the creature rolls but before any effects of the roll occur. After using this ability twice, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

At level 14, you use a 1d8 rather than 1d6 when using your Bend Luck ability.

Controlled Chaos (Redux)
At 14th level, you gain a modicum of control over the surges of your wild magic. Whenever you roll on the Wild Magic Surge table, you can roll twice and use either number or choose both effects.

Chromatic Mage (New, Replaces Spell Bombardment)
You gain immunity to a random type of damage. In addition, spells you cast using this type of damage pierce the defenses of targets that might normally resist such energies. Those normally immune to the damage type are instead considered resistant to your spells. Those that would normally be resistant take full damage against your spells. This ability is reset and must be rolled after each long rest. Roll a 1d12 and consult the following table.

Wild Magic Resistance
Result Damage Type
1 Acid
2 Cold
3 Fire
4 Force
5 Lightning
6 Necrotic
7 Poison
8 Psychic
9 Radiant
10 Thunder
11 None
12 Roll twice and use both results. Reroll subsequent 12s.

Dragon Sorcerer

Dragonborn
You add the Firebolt cantrip to your list of known cantrips. However, this cantrips deals damage of the same energy type related to your draconic heritage. This cantrips do not count towards your list of known cantrips.

Dragon Sorcerer
Level - Spells

1st - Burning Hands,* Detect Magic
3rd - Agnazaar’s Scorcher,* Enthrall
5th - Fear, Fireball*
7th - Elemental Bane**, Wall of Fire*
9th - Cone of cold*, Dominate Person
* Damage type changes to type associated with your dragon heritage
** Damage type affected by spell is always the type associated with your dragon heritage

Elemental Affinity (Redux)
Starting at 6th level, you exert more control over the energies associated with your dragon heritage, making your spells more potent while increasing your ability to protect against them.
You gain resistance to damage type associated with your dragon heritage. In addition, when you cast a spell that deals damage of the type associated with your draconic ancestry, you add your Charisma modifier to the total damage.

Draconic Emergence (Redux)
Beginning at 18th level, you have taken on the aspect of your draconic heritage. This grants you immunity to the damage type associated with them, as well as the ability to channel the dread presence of your dragon ancestor.

As bonus action, you draw on this power and exude an aura of awe or fear (your choice) to a distance of 60 feet. For 1 minute each hostile creature that starts its turn in this aura must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed (if you chose awe) or frightened (if you chose fear) until the aura ends. A creature that succeeds on this saving throw is immune to your aura for 24 hours.

Once you’ve used this ability, you must finish a short or long rest before using it again.

Stormborn Sorcerer

Stormborn
The arcane magic you command is infused with elemental air. You can speak, read, and write Primordial.

You also add the Gust and Thunderclap cantrips to your list of known cantrips. These cantrips do not count towards your list of known cantrips.

Stormborn Sorcerer
Level - Spells

1st - Fog Cloud, Thunderwave
3rd - Gust of Wind, Warding Wind
5th - Call Lightning, Sleet storm
7th - Conjure Minor Elementals,* Ice Storm
9th - Conjure Elemental**, Control Winds
* Unless you gain this spell from another source, you can summon only smoke mephits, steam mephits, ice mephits, or dust mephits with it.
**Unless you gain this spell from another source, you can summon only air elementals with it.

Tempestuous Magic (REDUX)
At 1st level, you are attuned to elemental air magic. You can use a bonus action to fly 10’ without provoking opportunity attacks.

Shadow Sorcerer

Shadow Sorcerer
Level - Spells

1st - Silent Image, Sleep
3rd - Darkness, Misty Step
5th - Major Image, Nondetection
7th - Dimension Door, Greater Invisibility
9th - Dream, Mislead

Eyes of the Dark (Redux)
From 1st level, you can see normally in darkness, both magical and nonmagical, to a distance of 60 feet.

You also add the Shadow cantrip to your list of known cantrips (See below). This cantrip does not count towards your list of known cantrips.

Cloak of Darkness (New. Replaces Strength of the Grave)
Starting at 1st level, you learn to pull the shadows around you to protect you from sight. You may use a bonus action to hide. In addition, as long as you are not in direct sunlight you may attempt to hide.

At 6th level, when you are not in direct sunlight, you have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks to hide.

Hound of Ill Omen (Redux)
At 6th level, you gain the ability to call forth a howling creature of darkness to harass your foes. As an action, you can summon a hound of ill omen to target one creature you can see. The hound uses a dire wolf’s statistics with the following changes:

• The hound is size Medium.
• It can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. The hound takes 5 force damage if it ends its turn inside an object
• At the start of its turn, the hound automatically knows its target’s location. If the target was hidden, it is no longer hidden from the hound.

The hound appears in an unoccupied space of your choice within 30 feet of the target. Roll initiative for the hound. On its turn, it can move only toward its target by the most direct route, and it can use its action only to attack its target. The hound makes opportunity attacks, but only against its target. Additionally, the target has disadvantage on all saving throws against your spells while the hound is within 5 feet of it. The hound disappears if it is reduced to 0 hit points, if its target is reduced to 0 hit points, or after 5 minutes. Once you use this ability, you must finish a long rest before it can be used again.

Master of Darkness (New)
At 14th level, your Shadow cantrip can even affect magical sources of light.

Shadow Form (Redux)
At 18th level, you can become make yourself invisible as a bonus action. While invisible, you can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. You take 5 force damage if you end your turn inside an object. This effect ends if you attack to attack or cast a spell.

Favored Soul

Chosen of the Gods
At 1st level, you can choose cantrips and spells from the cleric spell list. These cantrips and spells count as sorcerer cantrips and spells for you. In addition you choose one of the cleric class’s divine domains. You add that domain’s spells for 1st-level clerics to your known spells. These spells do not count against the number of spells you can know, and they are considered to be sorcerer spells for you. When you reach 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th levels in the sorcerer class, you likewise learn your domain’s spells that become available at those levels.

Bonus Proficiencies
At 1st level, you gain proficiency in light armor, medium armor, shields, and simple weapons.

Armor of Faith (Replaces Spark of the Divine)
Starting at level 6, you gain resistance to necrotic and radiant damage.

In addition, the power of your faith can provide protection from those that would seek to harm you or your allies. As a bonus action, you can grant yourself or one ally within 5 feet of you temporary hit points equal to your sorcerer level + your Charisma modifier.

Once you use this ability you must complete a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Divine Wings (Redux)
At 14th level, you gain the ability to sprout a pair of wings from your back (feathered or bat-like, your choice), gaining a flying speed equal to your current walking speed. You can create these wings as a bonus action on your turn. They last until you dismiss them as a bonus action on your turn.

You can’t manifest your wings while wearing armor unless the armor is made to accommodate them, and clothing not made to accommodate your wings might be destroyed when you manifest them.

Power of the Chosen (Redux)
Starting at 18th level, you gain immunity from necrotic and radiant damage.

In addition, you gain the ability to overcome grievous injuries. As a bonus action you can heal a number of hit points equal to your current maximum hit point total. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Stone Sorcerer

Stone Sorcerers do not gain access to the spells described in the original UA. Instead, they gain bonus spells as follows.

Stone Sorcerer
Level - Spells

1st - Earth Tremor, Shield of Faith
3rd - Maximilian’s Earthen Grasp, Spike Growth
5th - Erupting Earth, Meld Into Stone
7th - Stone Shape, Stoneskin
9th - Transmute Rock, Wall of Stone

Stone Magic
At 1st level, you gain the Mold Earth cantrip. This cantrip does not count towards your normal number of cantrips known.

In addition, when you are choosing your cantrips, you may also choose Blade Ward, Magic Stones, and Shillelagh. These cantrips are treated as sorcerer cantrips for you.

Phoenix Sorcerer

Phoenix Sorcerer
Level - Spells

1st - Faerie Fire, Hellish Rebuke
3rd - Flame Blade, Flaming Sphere
5th - Daylight, Revivify
7th - Fire Shield, Wall of Fire
9th - Flame Strike, Immolation

Ignite
At 1st level, you gain the Control Flames and Produce Flame cantrips. These cantrips count as sorcerer cantrips and do not count towards your normal number of cantrips known.

Mantle of Flame (REDUX)
Starting at 1st level, you can unleash the phoenix fire that blazes within you.

As a bonus action, you magically wreathe yourself in swirling fire, as your eyes glow like hot coals. For 1 minute, you gain the following benefits:
• You shed bright light in a 30-foot radius and dim light for an additional 30 feet.
• Any creature takes fire damage equal to your Charisma modifier if it hits you with a melee attack from within 5 feet of you or if it touches you.
• Whenever you roll fire damage on your turn, the roll gains a bonus to damage equal to your Charisma modifier.

Phoenix Spark (REDUX)
Starting at 6th level, the fiery energy within you grows restless and vengeful. In the face of defeat, it surges outward to preserve you in a fiery roar.

If you are reduced to 0 hit points, you can use your reaction to draw on the spark of the phoenix. You are instead reduced to 1 hit point, and each hostile creature within 10 feet of you takes fire damage equal to half your sorcerer level + your Charisma modifier.

If you use this feature while under the effects of your Mantle of Flame, this feature instead heals you up to half your hit point total and deals fire damage equal to your sorcerer level + double your Charisma modifier. Your Mantle of Flame immediately ends after this effect.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Form of the Phoenix (REDUX)
At 18th level, you finally master the spark of fire that dances within you. While under the effect of your Mantle of Flame feature, you gain additional benefits:
• You have a flying speed of 40 feet and can hover.
• You have immunity to Fire and Cold damage.
• If you use your Phoenix Spark, that feature deals an extra 20 fire damage to each hostile creature.

Sea Sorcerer

Sea Sorcerer
Level - Spells

1st - Ice Knife, Witch Bolt
3rd - Invisibility, Snilloc’s Snowball Swarm
5th - Lightning Bolt, Tidal Wave
7th - Storm Sphere, Watery Sphere
9th - Cone of Cold, Maelstrom

Soul of the Sea
At 1st level, your tie to the sea grants you the ability to breathe underwater, and you have a swim speed equal to your walking speed.

In addition, you gain the Shape Water cantrip. This does not count against your normal number of cantrips known.

Water Soul (REDUX)
Starting at 18th level, your being is altered by the power of the sea. You gain the following benefits:
• You no longer need to eat, drink, or sleep.
• A critical hit against you becomes a normal hit.
• You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
• You have immunity to fire damage.

New Spells

Chromatic Bolt
Spell List: Sorcerer
Evocation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Duration: Instantaneous
Components: V, S

You fire off a scintillating bolt of multi-colored light. Make a ranged spell attack against a single creature within range. On a hit the target takes 1d8 damage. The type of damage is determined by rolling a d6 and consulting the table below.

d6 Damage
1 Acid
2 Cold
3 Fire
4 Lightning
5 Poison
6 Thunder

This spell's damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

Shadow
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: S, M (a small black cloth)
Duration: 1 hour

You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sends out magical energy that temporarily extinguishes any source of nonmagical light within 40 feet. Any effected light sources return once outside the range of the spell. Completely covering the source of the magic with an opaque object, such as a bowl or a helm, blocks the effect. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.

If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

Li Shenron

Legend
I would focus on improving the Sorcerer without actually changing what is in the PHB. This, in other words, means through additions rather than modifications. For example:

- a feat that grants extra spells known (also available to other classes)

- a feat that grants extra metamagic abilities (not available to other classes)

- a feat that increases spell points and grants additional ways to use them

- new and slightly stronger Sorcerer archetypes

- new Sorcerer-only spells which are more versatile than average

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I feel the sorcerer lacks identity, which is bad for a class that is all about manifesting magic because of a particular identity. In my games, I add the ability to cast without needing focus or components and a specific ''origin'' spells list to the ''generic'' spells. I use the Chaos magic, Draconic Magic, Angelic seals and Shadow magic from Kobold Press.

akr71

Hero
IMO: they do just fine at higher levels, but could use help at lower levels.

I also agree they don't have much in the way of uniqueness.

I think that uniqueness was intended to be through the use of metamagic, but it falls flat. More options please and at lower cost, IMO.

Sorcerers need significantly less spells know, but significantly more ability to change them around.

No, that doesn't cover it, that's just trying to stay in existing D&D-language.

Let me describe. I want sorcerers to be able to do one thing, but it it damn well. If they can do fire, they can do FIRE - they can shoot blasts, make explosions, cloak themselves in it, use it like jets, etc. If they can control cloth it can become hard like armor, or grab, or make glider wings, or whatever. Shadows can conceal, or hear whispers said in them, or walk through them to other, unconnected shadows.

How would you realize that - something like domains that are linked by a common theme? Making sure all of them have the ability to be upcast? Recovery of SP is you cast using a higher level slot and don't upcast to cover the ones that don't?

And I'd probably break the standard casting model, in the reverse way that the warlock does. The warlock gets very few slots, but gets them powerful. I imaging the sorcerer as able to pull out magic all day long, but the issue when I've tried the spell point varient is that people use just a few of their highest level spells and then are out for the day, so instead of the warlock few/high level I'd give the sorcerer few high level (but recharge on short rest) so they can't just uber-nova, but then lots of low level slots. I wouldn't even mind if at some point they started being able to cast 1st level spells like cantrips, without using up a slot.

This is just my 2cp, but if ever a class was meant to be severely restricted by the school of magic chosen, it should be the sorcerer. I don't mean that the sorcerer can't choose from other schools, just that there should be a cost associated with it.

Probably a more practical approach would be for each sorcererous origin (wild, dragon, favored soul, etc) would be to have a tightly controlled list of spells to choose from and at certain points the sorcerer can choose off-list (as the bard).

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
What about taking the Lore Wizard abilities that are basically meta magic, and adding those to the sorcerer?

I think this is what will happen in the final release anyway. I'm 90% sure that giving these features to the wizard was just WotC doing a little smoke-screen to cover their intentions.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
A brief(?) treatise on the plight of Sorcerer

The fundamental problem with the Sorcerer in 5e is that the reason the class was created in the first place was to create a mechanical distinction that no longer exists in 5e. 4e solved the problem by creating a new mechanical distinction, but that no longer exists in 5e either.

See, the 3rd edition Sorcerer was basically worse than the Wizard in all but a handful of ways (more spells per day being the big one, also they had slightly better weapon proficiencies and were more fun at parties). In exchange they had slower spell progression and no bonus feats, because WotC overestimated the power of spontaneous casting Monte Cooke hated sorcerers reasons. Pretty much everyone agreed that simply on the basis of the slower spell progression (something which was then saddled onto all future spontaneous full-casters), spontaneous casters were not as good as preparation casters. Optimizers basically gave them their own tier. But people still played them, because six magic missiles are better than four, and spontaneous casters were simply easier to play. There were some off-hand mentions of flavor differences between Sorcerers and Wizards (owing mostly to the Int vs. Cha divide) but they could easily be ignored. 4e made Wizards controllers and Sorcerers strikers, and so had entirely different spell selections with entirely different functions. Wizards were the battle nerds, employing tactics and conditions to manage the battlefield; Sorcerers were spell jocks, blasting foes with panache. 4e also solidified the core flavor of the big three arcanes: wizards studied and warlocks bargained (3.5: "Warlocks are born, not made"), but sorcerers simply were magic.

Cue 5e, which brings us neo-Vancian magic. The changes to spell preparation have turned prep casters into essentially spontaneous casters who change their spells known every day. Spontaneous casting loses its luster. What's worse, the Sorcerer lost every advantage it had in 3.X; the Wizard and Sorcerer have identical spell slots, and the Wizard gets to memorize more spells than the Sorcerer can know at basically any level. Sorcerers don't even have better weapon proficiencies anymore (not that it matters anymore). Sorcery points are supposed to make up the difference, but these are a split resource and probably better spent on metamagic. The final nail in the coffin is the Sorcerer's spell list, which is a heavily trimmed down version of the Wizard's spell list because WotC overestimated the power of Sorcery points Mike Mearls hates Sorcerers reasons. Once again, Sorcerers are, mechanically, objectively worse than Wizards.

And that's just the mechanical issues. I'll chop this up it's getting two long; in part two I'll discuss the flavor problems.

Remove ads