D&D 5E Tiefling assassin 5e build

My gf insists on playing a Tiefling assassin with the charlatan background. I need help coming up with a decent build from Lvl 1 to Lvl 5 using the standard array or point buy system. Thanks again guys

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Without more information about how she wants to play, it sounds like a pretty straightforward build without much to tweak. A by-the-book Rogue doesn't have a lot of "tough" choices, especially since she has already decided on the Archetype. I feel like a straight Rogue build is hard to un-optimize, and the only issue that comes up would be learning how to use the tools they have.

Basically she wants to play a stealth assassin who can use disguises to get what she needs and wants while sticking to the shadows for sneak attacks. Pretty basic build but what should her stats be or go into what ability scores?

WarpedAcorn

First Post
For what you mentioned, I would suggest Dex > Cha > Con > Wis > Int > Str. Go with Stealth and Deception as her Expertise skills. At 4th level she could bump her Dex or take an appropriate Feat depending on if she has been more of a ranged rogue or a melee rogue. She could also take Alert to try and help win Initiative and take advantage of the Assassin opener.

Again, its hard to mess this one up. The big tip I would give is to be smart about using the Cunning Action during combat encounters. From experience, that was the one thing the last person who played a Rogue in my group kept neglecting.

Vulf

First Post
Use the Feral Tiefling variant from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. (Don't use the winged option if you think it will cause an issue.)
Instead of the PHB version, their attribute bonus is +2 Dex +1 Int.

Before the bonus attributes, something like this;

8 str
15 dex
15 con
11 int
10 wis
12 cha

After the Tiefling bonus and the level 4 ASI, you should have 18 dex, 16 con, and 12 int.
Rogue Expertise should go in Stealth and Deception
Dip a level into Fighter for a fighting style if you must. Two Weapon and Archery, probably the best for a Rogue.

Last edited:

Remove ads