Tiny creatures, AoOs, and 5' steps

Urbannen

First Post
Just fought a tiny flying demon. According to the rules, a tiny creature provokes an AoO from a larger creature whenever it enters that creature's space. Is this true even when it only takes a 5' foot step?

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I would say yes because it's entering the square that provokes (special movement) rather than leaving the previous square (which is the part of movement that ordinarily provokes AoOs) but I think it's an arguable part of the rules.

Urbannen said:
Just fought a tiny flying demon. According to the rules, a tiny creature provokes an AoO from a larger creature whenever it enters that creature's space. Is this true even when it only takes a 5' foot step?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Similar question for initiating a grapple or being bullrushed.

When you move in after successfully making the touch attack to start a grapple, eveyone who threatens you gets a movement-based AoO.

If you're bullrushed back 5 feet, you provoke AoOs for movement.

If you haven't moved at all during the round, would those two circumstances fit the "if your entire movement for the round is 5 feet" clause? Or do you still incur AoOs?

-Hyp.

Tellerve

Hypersmurf, your actually asking a question? And here I thought you had all the answers :p

As for the demon, I believe he does provoke an AoO. As for the grapple and bullrush, my initial thought is again yes, they do provoke AoOs, although I can easily see the other side of the argument.

*jumps up onto the pretty white fence and sits down for a spell*

Tellerve

Kirowan

First Post
I don't think you can avoid the AoO when moving in on a grappling or bullrush if you take just a 5' step. I think that moving into someone's square is an example of a specific action that provokes an attack of opportunity rather than an attack of opportunity that arises from moving in threatened squares.

Nick

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Quote 3.5 PHB page 144

"You can move 5 feet in any round when you don't perform any other kind of movement. Taking this 5-foot step never provokes an atttack of opportunity."

Never is a very strong word. So IMO unless entering an opponent's square specifically overrides the the no AoO from 5ft step rule then I would say you do not provoke an AoO.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Hypersmurf said:
If you're bullrushed back 5 feet, you provoke AoOs for movement.

If you haven't moved at all during the round, would those two circumstances fit the "if your entire movement for the round is 5 feet" clause? Or do you still incur AoOs?

-Hyp.

I do not think being Bull Rushed counts as a movement action (or free action) on your part, so it would not be eligable to count as a 5ft step.

gordonknox

First Post
5 ft step

Still not getting how this is used to avoid an AoO.

If a mage can cast a spell and take a 5 ft step, there is no AoO, right? So, why doesnt a mage always do this? Or for that matter, anyone?

gk

sithramir

First Post
Its moving into someone's square that incurs the AoO. It doesn't matter if its a 5' step or not. In fact if it was a 10' step then you'd allow AoO's to other people nearby along with the guy who's square you are attempting to invade.

A mage could take a 5' step and then cast a spell without an AoO but he could not move any further in the round thus giving up his move equivalent action. He could NOT cast a spell and then take a 5' step without incurring the AoO from casting the spell in the opponents threatened square.

What camarath said about bull rush is correct. It states it explicitly in the description that you still incur the attacks of opportunity.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Re: 5 ft step

gordonknox said:
If a mage can cast a spell and take a 5 ft step, there is no AoO, right? So, why doesnt a mage always do this? Or for that matter, anyone?

There is no AoO from movement when you take a 5ft step. Any other action that provokes an AoO still does so normally.

sithramir said:
Its moving into someone's square that incurs the AoO. It doesn't matter if its a 5' step or not. In fact if it was a 10' step then you'd allow AoO's to other people nearby along with the guy who's square you are attempting to invade.

IMO if the AoO is movement based then taking a 5ft step would pervent the AoO. But if it is based on the miscellaneous free action "Enter Opponent's Space" that acompainies you movement you would still provoke an AoO inspite of taking a 5ft step.

Remove ads