• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tiny creatures, AoOs, and 5' steps

Urbannen

First Post
It seems like the AoO that tiny or smaller creatures incur for entering another's space is specific only for that circumstance. The rules for tiny or smaller creatures only say that the AoO is granted to the creature whose space is being invaded.

My DM is going to use a lot of tiny creatures in the next few sessions, I suspect, so he got a little indignant when I said that they provoke an AoO from someone whenever they enter her space. His first response was that that made weak creatures even weaker, especially since whoever is being attacked can always just take a 5 foot step away every turn to continually get the AoO from the creature's melee attack. The 3.0 PHB just says that a tiny creature entering another creature's space provokes a normal AoO for movement, meaning a 5 foot step would negate it.

It doesn't really seem right that a tiny creature would always provoke this AoO - they are small enough to fit into the space, they are not letting down their guard (as long as they only take a 5 foot step), and they are a credible threat. At the very least it seems like there should be a feat that allows a tiny or smaller creature to enter spaces to attack without provoking this AoO. "Improved Tiny Melee Fighting"?

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
His first response was that that made weak creatures even weaker, especially since whoever is being attacked can always just take a 5 foot step away every turn to continually get the AoO from the creature's melee attack.

Not if dozens and dozens of them Aid Another to keep him grappled! Bwa-ha! Take that, Gulliver!

-Hyp.

Remove ads