• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To prestige or not to prestige

aurin777

First Post
My highest level pc in 2nd edition was a priest of Athena and I was recently converting him to third edition. Looking through the prestige classes in the Manual of the Planes and the DMG, there are plenty of fitting prestige classes that fit the model of the warrior cleric of knowledge and war thing, but most fitting were the Lore Master, the Divine Champion, and the Divine Emissary. The two later prestige classes cause the cleric do not gain full spellcasting abilities. This brings me to my question: Is any prestige class for the cleric ever worth giving up spellcasting levels? The difference between 5th and 6th level spells is harm which is a necessity to memorize. I know 3.0 very well, yet I cannot seem to wrap my mind around trading in spell levels for any sort of extra class abilties. Any thoughts?
~~Brandon

evileeyore

Mrrrph
aurin777 said:
Is any prestige class for the cleric ever worth giving up spellcasting levels?
~~Brandon

Yes. However that is up to you in the end. You must make the choice on how you wish to fight... With spells or melee?

The difference between 5th and 6th level spells is harm which is a necessity to memorize. I know 3.0 very well, yet I cannot seem to wrap my mind around trading in spell levels for any sort of extra class abilties. Any thoughts?

I recently made the same type of choice (when 3.5 came out we converted instantly-just add water) and my Sorc 12/Cour 1 became a Sor 4/Clr 3/MystTh 5/Cour1... I lost a whole lot of power in spell casting, but gained the versitility I originally wanted for the concept (I had originally planned to start alternating Cleric and Sor/Pres levels after reaching Epic...).

Just to note I am our groups multiclassing king.

TTFN

EvilE

editted for clarity and to fit your wide screen format...

Last edited:

Remove ads