• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tokyo Crush!: A d20 Modern Game in the Godzilla Universe

Godzilla

First Post
Let me think about the "Prince of Space" angle.

And while we wait here are some classic lines from "Prince of Space"

"Your weapons are useless!"

"You there! Discharge the caustic vapors!"

"What's the matter with bootblacking? Both of us like it VERY MUCH."

"Come closer!"
"I'm close enough, thank you anyway. The stench of your foul breath is more than my stomach can stand!"

"When will you ever learn your guns won't work on me?!"

"How many times do I have to demonstrate to you...your guns are worthless against me!"

Last edited:

Godzilla

First Post
A short review of "Prince of Space"

Which brings us to Prince of Space (Yusei Oji in Japan). I don't care what any of you think: one does not have to be Japanese to accurately critique this movie. This movie SUCKS with a capital S - U - C - K - S regardless of what side of the International Date Line you're on. Words simply cannot describe how this film will scar you. In the 1950s there was Kurosawa's Japan (and Godzilla falls into that camp during this time period) and there was the Japan that demanded this film.

If I had to distill this movie I'd claim that what we're dealing with is a Buck Rodgers/Buzz Lightyear/Busta Rhymes something meets the Japanese UltraMan concept. In other words, pure goofiness. It appears Wally is a boot black whose self appointed good deeds include working with children and inventing unknown technology to possibly fight off alien invaders. Lucky for him alien invaders - arriving in their toy spaceship - show up so he can use that technology. Since he can't very well fight as Wally, he takes on a cover name to go with his super silly outfit. That name? The Prince of Space.

Thus begins our pattern for the next 90 minutes - 90 minutes that will feel like 90 years as this film does it's best to rob your soul of vitality. The aliens try something, the Prince confronts them, he pursues them, the action peters out and we start all over again. This exact pattern occurs close to ten times. It really does feel like someone tried to string all of the Gene Autry serial The Phantom Empire into one life-sucking movie.

But while the action is incredibly repetitive, that's not the problem. The problem is everything else about this movie! Where to start? How about the alien costumes? Basically they're humans with very fake nose beaks and ill-fitting cloth suits with head antennas. Not to mention the fact that they're VERY OBVIOUSLY NOT WEARING UNDERWEAR! Maybe that's the one part of this movie that really makes you wonder why Japan's auto industry is so much better than ours. How can it be if they won't wear undergarments onscreen?! While we are discussing pants and related clothes items, what is the Japanese obsession with little boys and tiny shorts? It continually crops up in 50s, 60s, and 70s Japanese science fiction - in this film, several Godzilla movies, and most horrifically in the Gamera series. This kid is worse than most, as he is dubbed with a Brooklyn accent. At least he doesn't make governmental policy as children so frequently do in Gamera.

Wilphe

Adventurer
While the game is full there is also an archtype you haven't covered yet:

The Token European Guy.

Normally found in the UN or other international agency, he is invariably number two or co-pilot to the Japenese leading male. His sole plot function is to add credibility and demonstrate that not all world agencies are run soley by Japanese. He might help with foriegn marketing as well, but the numbers of real stars who a) can act in Japanese and b) are willing to appear in one of these is roughly nil.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Godzilla said:
A short review of "Prince of Space"

Which brings us to Prince of Space (Yusei Oji in Japan). I don't care what any of you think: one does not have to be Japanese to accurately critique this movie. This movie SUCKS with a capital S - U - C - K - S regardless of what side of the International Date Line you're on. Words simply cannot describe how this film will scar you. In the 1950s there was Kurosawa's Japan (and Godzilla falls into that camp during this time period) and there was the Japan that demanded this film.

If I had to distill this movie I'd claim that what we're dealing with is a Buck Rodgers/Buzz Lightyear/Busta Rhymes something meets the Japanese UltraMan concept. In other words, pure goofiness. It appears Wally is a boot black whose self appointed good deeds include working with children and inventing unknown technology to possibly fight off alien invaders. Lucky for him alien invaders - arriving in their toy spaceship - show up so he can use that technology. Since he can't very well fight as Wally, he takes on a cover name to go with his super silly outfit. That name? The Prince of Space.

Thus begins our pattern for the next 90 minutes - 90 minutes that will feel like 90 years as this film does it's best to rob your soul of vitality. The aliens try something, the Prince confronts them, he pursues them, the action peters out and we start all over again. This exact pattern occurs close to ten times. It really does feel like someone tried to string all of the Gene Autry serial The Phantom Empire into one life-sucking movie.

But while the action is incredibly repetitive, that's not the problem. The problem is everything else about this movie! Where to start? How about the alien costumes? Basically they're humans with very fake nose beaks and ill-fitting cloth suits with head antennas. Not to mention the fact that they're VERY OBVIOUSLY NOT WEARING UNDERWEAR! Maybe that's the one part of this movie that really makes you wonder why Japan's auto industry is so much better than ours. How can it be if they won't wear undergarments onscreen?! While we are discussing pants and related clothes items, what is the Japanese obsession with little boys and tiny shorts? It continually crops up in 50s, 60s, and 70s Japanese science fiction - in this film, several Godzilla movies, and most horrifically in the Gamera series. This kid is worse than most, as he is dubbed with a Brooklyn accent. At least he doesn't make governmental policy as children so frequently do in Gamera.

So... Got an opinion? RoFL! :D

Maybe I won't do that. It's not the concept I thought it was anyway.
(Back to the drawing Board.)

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Godzilla said:
Argent, after I thought about it. I want all the character to be human. I hope you understand. :)

No Sweat! It's not like I was seriously thinking about it.
I'm working on an Astronaut.
He works for the World Space Authority
Very much a Buck Rogers/Flash Gorden concept.

Radiant

First Post
Wilphe said:
While the game is full there is also an archtype you haven't covered yet:

The Token European Guy.

Normally found in the UN or other international agency, he is invariably number two or co-pilot to the Japenese leading male. His sole plot function is to add credibility and demonstrate that not all world agencies are run soley by Japanese. He might help with foriegn marketing as well, but the numbers of real stars who a) can act in Japanese and b) are willing to appear in one of these is roughly nil.

that's my agent:rolleyes: but following what you just said it can't be someone who like the one in the movie since he actually wasn't a bad actor and wouldn't really appear again in any Godzilla moive, regardless who made it. So instead it is his daughter (who is of course also an agent because they allways are) who is played by an unsuccesfull eurpean actress who never got to make more than commercial spots. With leads to the character constantly tries to be ridicoulusly cool, blurt cheesy remarks that she thinks are fitting for secret agents (imagine things like : "Don't worry I'm an agent, danger is my buisness." here). Of course that is allways kílled because the actress sees any scene where her character may show feelings as a chance to proove she is a real actress so she takes any opportunity to fall in love, get depressed or anithing else i can't think of at the moment.

tsadkiel

Legend
Godzilla said:
Argent, after I thought about it. I want all the character to be human. I hope you understand. :)

You mean I can't be a dark elf? :( :)

Thinking about it, I can't see a way to work an annoying kid, even an annoying kid form a Godzilla movie, as a 6th level PC. So I'll play an adult.

Checking the thread, we seem to have a secret agent, an astronaut, a sassy girl reporter, a G-Force operative, and a telepathic scientist so far. That right?

Looking at the other PC options, I'm drawn to the Sarariman - perhaps a loyal company man, looking out for the corporation's best interests, but with a guilty conscience, so that in the end he winds up helping the heroes. Probably a charismatic hero with the negotiator advanced class.

Or an adventurous, pipe-smoking archeologist, inexplicably played by Chow Yun Fat. Smart/fast, most likely.

Which one would fit into the adventure better?

Godzilla

First Post
tsadkiel said:

Looking at the other PC options, I'm drawn to the Sarariman - perhaps a loyal company man, looking out for the corporation's best interests, but with a guilty conscience, so that in the end he winds up helping the heroes. Probably a charismatic hero with the negotiator advanced class.

Or an adventurous, pipe-smoking archeologist, inexplicably played by Chow Yun Fat. Smart/fast, most likely.

Which one would fit into the adventure better?

Well, both are good choices. I could fit the Sarariman in the adventure I have planned right away. But the archeologist could be fun too. So either would be fine by me.

tsadkiel

Legend
Godzilla said:

Well, both are good choices. I could fit the Sarariman in the adventure I have planned right away. But the archeologist could be fun too. So either would be fine by me.

I'll go with the Sarariman, then.

Remove ads