• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Trailer] Hero

Krug

Newshound
Thanks 2d6. Actually I've seen it and I like it a lot. Good that Tarantino has pushed this through. :)

Last edited:

Mog Elffoe

Explorer
Very cool movie. I've had it on DVD since last summer. I do wonder how many changes we might see in it for a Stateside release. I understand that something like a half hour or so was edited out of Shaolin Soccer and Hero is being released by the same company.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Saw it original without subtitles. Was somewhat underwhelmed, actually. Maggie Cheung's impression of Brigitte Lin was a highlight (who am I kidding, every frame that includes Maggie Cheung is a highlight), and the final scene between Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung was awesome (man do those two have CHEMISTRY). Otherwise, meh.

Not up to the standards of the Swordsman films. Not as good as The Bride With White Hair.

Might have been improved with subtitles, I'll admit. It did get a little confusing at times...

Mog Elffoe

Explorer
barsoomcore said:
Saw it original without subtitles. Was somewhat underwhelmed, actually. Maggie Cheung's impression of Brigitte Lin was a highlight (who am I kidding, every frame that includes Maggie Cheung is a highlight), and the final scene between Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung was awesome (man do those two have CHEMISTRY). Otherwise, meh.

Not up to the standards of the Swordsman films. Not as good as The Bride With White Hair.

Might have been improved with subtitles, I'll admit. It did get a little confusing at times...

Mmm... If we could only see Swordsman 2 but with Hero's budget... Ahhh... >drool<

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Mog Elffoe said:
Mmm... If we could only see Swordsman 2 but with Hero's budget... Ahhh... >drool<
Baby.

But you know, deep in my heart of hearts, I suspect that the budget alone makes things less interesting to me. I LIKE seeing the roughness in things. I like having to use my imagination to REALLY convince myself that Jet Li is running on the tips of the grass blades. I like how to show someone flying up a canyon wall you get a close-up of their foot on a rock, and spiralling sound effect and a guy on a wire shooting up into the air.

When it's all done for me, somehow, I think it's less satisfying.

Maybe it's cause I feel a sense of comradeship with the film-makers that way -- like we've collaborated to make my heart beat faster, rather than me just sitting there while excitement is DONE to me. If you see what I mean.

It's also very true that tight resources inspire creativity. We probably will never see the kinds of story-telling we got out of Hong Kong from the mid-eighties to the mid-nineties. Not from Hong Kong anymore, I think. They just don't need to be that creative.

Plus, the concentration of talent there, when Jackie Chan, John Woo, Tsui Hark, Ringo Lam, Chow Yun Fat, Brigitte Lin, Jet Li, Maggie Cheung, Yuen Biao, Michelle Yeoh, Sammo Hung, Tony Leung, Anita Mui and so many others were all working simultaneously -- that doesn't happen too often. And when the "critical mass" doesn't exist, everybody suffers -- even those who were brilliant at the time.

Don't get me wrong. I liked Hero and may even buy the DVD (if I can get past my dislike of Zhang Zhiyi) -- but I'll take Dragon Inn any day.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads