Transcendence Now - M&M Game [Resumed!]

RobotRobotI

First Post
Past Tense:
[sblock]Maleck was born to a very well-off couple, as her father was a very efficient executive sort. She lived with the sort of family that maintained different homes for different seasons, and was put into the best schools available since kindergarten, which she began at age four. Life with Maleck's family was always relaxed, as long as she kept her grades up; beyond school, Maleck didn't much understand the idea of work; as long as she can remember, everything was always handled for her. The complete disregard for Maleck's work ethic (or anything else beyond her report card) allowed her to dabble in all sorts of various pastimes - Maleck found great joy in linguistics, especially, and had a knack for picking up languages. More than anything, though, she spent time with her friends and not-friends; Maleck was the pride of her in-group, and walked with her head up. Maleck was the kind of girl who could get anything she wanted with a smile.

Maleck graduated fourteenth in her class. With her parents breathing down her neck to move on to a prestigious college, her newfound responsibilites as an adult, and the stresses of the fabled real world, Maleck just sort of... faded away. She became a recluse; didn't answer her phone, disconnected her internet, and locked her door. People she called friends became worried, her parents became angry, but it didn't really seem to matter to her. In a time later than this, she would remark that it felt like if she just closed her eyes, the world would stop screaming. When Bastien and Angel came for her, it was only the prospect of getting further and further from the world that convinced her.[/sblock]
Present Tense:
[sblock]Maleck is only recently released and Transcended, but she can already feel the changes. Maleck knows how the world works as best her school could teach her, and yet she does things now that make no sense to her. When she was normal, shadows were, too; a lack of light is a lack of light. So how is that she can twist absence until it's presence? Maleck has found, since her release, that the dark places she had retreated into from the world are now at her beck and call - literally. The Transcendence opened Maleck's eyes - and the world didn't scream, but smiled.[/sblock]
Future Tense:
[sblock]Maleck will continue to grow, as an adult and as a Super. Her powers will give her greater and greater control over shadow, and it's likely that she will eventually assume an entirely shadow-form (at least, an Alternate Form as such.) Maleck's goals for the future are to re-integrate herself with society, but to do so as a force of renown, not just another face in the crowd. She has overcome her need to escape, but will likely to continue to struggle with finding a place in the world - especially now that she's become further removed from nearly all of her fellow humans.[/sblock]
Adjectives:
[sblock]Maleck is a pretty girl, although not the most beautiful in the world. Naturally, her hair is a very bright sort of blonde/red hybrid, something like an orange; she wears her hair most often in a low ponytail. Maleck has a varied wardrobe, although her outfits seem to have a notable trend toward that of your stereotypical 'goth' - an overindulgent preference for dark colors and shiny things. Of course, she also has a habit of showing up wearing bright colours or fashionable dresses. She's all over the place.[/sblock]
Personification:
[sblock]Maleck is a very friendly girl, open-minded and kind - but she's not without her cruel streaks. She still has trouble overcoming the lifestyle she took for granted before her Transcendence, and, on a bad day, it doesn't take anyone long to conclude that she's just a brat. Maleck's trying to deal with this, of course, but there's only so much she can do. If Maleck were a D&D character, her outlook on life would place her nearer the 'Neutral Good' side of the axis. Of course, she's not a D&D character, but it's a mostly effective way of looking at it.[/sblock]
Syntax:
[sblock]
Code:
Maleck "Miss Maleck" Blackwell

[Shudder to think it could ever be true]
[That anyone else is as lovely as you  ] - KMFDM, Superhero

PL: 6 (90pp)

Abilities: Strength 8; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 16; Wisdom 12; Charisma 18

Skills: Bluff +5 (+9), Computers +5 (+9), Concentration +5 (+6), Diplomacy +5 (+9), Gather Information +5 (+9), Perform +5 (+9), Notice +5 (+6), Sense Motive +5 (+6), Knowledge (Psychology) +4 (+7), Speak Language (Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese)

Feats: Attractive, Blindfight, Evasion 2, Distract, Fascinate (Diplomacy), Redirect, Sneak Attack, Startle, Taunt, Benefit (Wealth) 1, Ultimate Effort 2 (Bluff, Diplomacy)

Powers: Blast (shadow) 4, Darkness Control 5, Supersense 2 (Darksight)

Combat: Attack +3 (+2 Melee, +5 Ranged); Defense +3(Normal +5, Flatfooted +0)
Saves: Toughness +3(+4), Fortitude +1(+2), Reflex +3(+5), Willpower +6(+9)

Wealth 12 (8 + 4)

Abilities 20 + Skills 12 (48 Ranks) + Feats 13 + Powers 20 + Combat 12 + Saves 13 = 90pp
[/sblock]
Authorial Intrusion:
[sblock]I'm *pretty sure* I did everything right, but for whatever reason, M&M's system (which is supposed to be pretty simple, as I understand it) tends to confuse me. If someone can let me know if I did any of the numbers wrong, I'd appreciate it. Numbers in parenthesis are numbers-after-modifiers.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Clarification on Gen's powers...hopefully it won't step on a major NPC's too much. :)

Gen makes -things-. Not giant energy hands, and so on. If she were to Immobilize someone, it'd be by conjuring bonds around them. At first the things she makes will be visually different from real things, and limited to simple forms. As she develops, the things she makes will become visually identical to "real" matter objects, and be capable of appearing in more complex forms. Eventually she'll be able to create machines, even electronics, out of thin air.

So the Green Lantern analogue is only -very- loosely applicable. Her manifestations aren't "energy constructs," for example, though at first they may SEEM to be. They don't visibly emanate from her, but rather appear fully formed where she visualizes them.

Shalimar

First Post
That sounds like variable power from the Masterminds Manual (ie gadgets without the ability to lose them). 8pp/rank buys you 5pp/rank to divy up however you want (limited by your rank in the power), and it takes a standard action to redivy them each time you change it up.

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm!

I may have to invest in this book. I have the 2nd Ed main book...

It was my original intent to simply buy broad powers and arrays to simulate the things she could do. But if that 'variable power' ability is allowed, it might work a lot better.

GM?

Rybaer

First Post
Sounds like a fun game concept. I like the idea of playing a lower power level character who's just beginning to explore his abilities in a world unfamiliar with such things.

If you're looking for examples of my M&M experience, just follow the links in my sig. I've been running my Curtains M&M game for over two years now and have played in numerous other games.

Here's my concept - Joe Vaughn, personal density control powers:

[sblock=Backstory]
Joseph Vaughn; 24 yr old, 6’0” Caucasian – an “Average Joe” kind of guy

Joe was born and raised in a middle class family in middle-America (St. Louis). He was always a pretty average guy. He had good but not great grades, came off the bench in football and basketball, and was the “Bored Police Officer #2” in the school play. In college, Joe earned a degree in history, which he would later use to land a job as an assistant to the purchasing manager of a food wholesale company. In short, there was absolutely nothing remarkable about his life, except for Susan.

Joe met Susan during his senior year of college. She was everything a person could hope to be – energetic, brilliant, attractive, athletic, ambitious, and charismatic. The two of them fell in love and married a year after graduation. Joe considered himself incredibly lucky to have met someone so wonderful, someone whose energy pushed him to stretch his own comfort zones. He often wondered just what it was she saw in him, even to the point of feeling unworthy to be her husband. When he inquired as to why she married him, she would just smile and say that there was something deep within him that she was drawn to…something she was determined to unleash upon the world.

On the day of their first wedding anniversary, Susan collapsed. At the hospital, she was diagnosed with a rare and fatal heart condition, and the doctors didn’t expect her to last through the night. Susan regained consciousness only for a couple minutes before passing away, during which she said farewell to Joe and insisted that he make her one promise. Susan wanted him to “do something with his life…something extraordinary.” Through his tears, Joe vowed that he would.

Joe was devastated by her passing. He cursed at the cruelty of fate for taking someone so wonderful from the world at such a young age. Over the next few months, Joe sank further into depression. He put on a good face for his friends and family, but everyone knew that he was hurting badly. What made things worse for Joe was the daunting task of fulfilling his vow to Susan. He had no idea how he could possibly do something “extraordinary” with his life, especially something worthy of her memory. Joe had always stood by his promises in the past – a mark of pride for him – but this one only buried him further in his sorrow.

When things looked their bleakest, Angel and Bastien came calling. He was a bit dubious as to the nature of their program at first. On the other hand, a small part of him wanted to believe that Susan had somehow foreseen this path for him. He needed a change in his life. He needed to find a way to fulfill his vow. Joe took them up on their offer and joined the Transcendental Human Project.

In the three months at the Project, Joe’s depression has all but vanished. He is amazed at his new powers and has gained a sense of confidence that he never before possessed. As the time at the facility came to a close, however, a hint of doubt began to creep back into his mind.

“Okay Susan,” he would say quietly to himself. “You’re gonna have to help me figure out just what I’m supposed to do with these powers.”

His sole focus and responsibility in life right now is to fulfill his promise to his deceased wife. Having supernatural powers alone, he believes, would not be "extraordinary" enough by Susan's standards.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Powers]
Joe has the ability to increase and decrease the density of his body at will. He doesn't know how his powers really work, but he knows they're pretty nifty and could potentially be useful in the right circumstances.

He can increase his density, gaining nearly 2,000lbs and becoming as strong and tough as metal. Alternatively, he can decrease his density to give his body the consistency of liquid or even a gaseous cloud. Doing the latter still creeps him out a bit.

For future advancement, he'll be able to further increase his density, becoming more durable and strong. At present, he has minimal combat training, though this would be a logical place to continue studying.)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]
Joseph Vaughn
6'0", 200lbs (flexible between 0.5lb and 2000lbs), brown hair, brown eyes

Str 12/32 (+1/+11, limited to +8 for damage)
Dex 14 (+2)
Con 12 (+1)
Int 12 (+1)
Wis 12 (+1)
Cha 12 (+1)

Saves:
Tough +8 (5 impervious), Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +4

Attack +3
Defense +2
HP's 3
Init +2

Attacks:
Melee (dense form) +3, Tough save DC23
Suffocate (liq/gas forms) +3, Fort save DC16

Feats:
Diehard
Luck (2)
Power Attack
Stunning Attack
Ultimate Save (Fort, Toughness)

Skills:
Knowledge - History (4) +5
Notice (2) +3
Search (2) +3
Stealth (4) +6

Powers:
Density 10 - [Extra: Continuous] (Includes Str +20, Impervious Protection 5, Immovable 3, Super Str 3, Mass x10) (42PP)
*AP Insubstantial 1 (liquid-like density) [Extra: Continuous] + Elongation 5 + Protection 5 + Suffocate 6
*AP Insubstantial 2 (gas-like density) [Extra: Continuous] + Flight 4 + Suffocate 6

Immunity 3 (Critical hits, high pressure)

Lift - 3 ton, 6 ton, 9 ton, 18 ton, 22 ton (while in dense form)

Breakdown:
Stats (14) + Saves (11) + Combat (10) + Feats (7) + Skills (3) + Powers (45) = 90PP

Trade-offs:
Tough/Defense +2/-2
Dmg/Attack +2/-2
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Shalimar

First Post
Shayuri said:
Hmm!

I may have to invest in this book. I have the 2nd Ed main book...

It was my original intent to simply buy broad powers and arrays to simulate the things she could do. But if that 'variable power' ability is allowed, it might work a lot better.

GM?

It functions identically to the shapeshift power, except that it takes a standard action instead of a move action, and you cannot subtract pp from your physical stats.

There is a large sidebar that talks about Variable power being possibly unbalanced if treated like a I can do anything I want power. That said it does sound close to what you want.

Last edited:

Sollir Furryfoot said:
Kain -> Seems like a solid concept, still I'd like to see what you have in mind for your character's motivations, now that he has these new powers. What type of roles would his personality lean towards?

Well Iwas thinking he'd go the techie way..though I'm seeing folks that would easily outclass him. I mean the ability to elongate, a little SS/Morph so he can form tools out of his body and he'd be a kick but mechanic. Slip in the abilty/gear to run fiber optic camera hookups/lights and he could pretty much get into any place you (and he) imagines.

Rybaer -> Solid concept, slight pun intended. Wondering though, in wanting to do something extraordinary, does Joe have any particular, initial motivations/goals with his powers? What does he have in mind? Its okay if he's Joe average on the outside, but preferably, there'd need to be some quality or drive of his that another transhuman might not possess.

This is more for everyone, but as this game is focusing on what the first handul of mutants will do, I prefer characters that have more set motivations and driving forces behind them to begin with. I can throw plot hooks your way, if you can't come up with specifics, but I need an idea of your character's basic philosophy/outlook to sort of predict how they will mesh (or not mesh) with other characters chosen.

Kain -> Likewise, what you described there were his possible powers, but why would he use them in a situation, to get into buildings in the first place? For money? Power? Because he can? That's the question I'm asking for you :)

Last edited:

Samnell

Explorer
Sollir Furryfoot said:
This is more for everyone, but as this game is focusing on what the first handul of mutants will do, I prefer characters that have more set motivations and driving forces behind them to begin with. I can throw plot hooks your way, if you can't come up with specifics, but I need an idea of your character's basic philosophy/outlook to sort of predict how they will mesh (or not mesh) with other characters chosen.

Awesome. Josh is pretty flexible, mostly up on proving himself an exceptional transhuman (he's not sure what this means yet) and skill-building in powers. So anything where he gets to perform (in the broad sense, not just music) with his TK would be an easy sell. Since he's already well off, money isn't a big motivator. A LOT of money might be. Josh sees this as day one of his shiny new life and thus is open to a lot that he otherwise wouldn't be, monetary issues aside.

Remove ads