• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trapped in Hell's Basement (DM: Mal Malenkirk Judge:Covaithe)

Voda Vosa

First Post
"It is of no consequence, we will be joining them soon." Disregards Sheng.
As Raiko charges in, he grins "You are impulsive and emotional, such bravery and recklessly will grant you a quick passage to the afterlife. This time Chaos has smiled upon you, but do not taste your luck again, his favor is unpredictable."
Sheng dodges the attacks of his enemies with ease. He steps back timely and avoids the drake's claws. As he moves back, his silhouette is surrounded by the green gases and the entropy that his mere presence invoke. With a whirlwind move of his arms, Sheng concentrate the gas into the deadly nightmare inducing skull.
The sorcery floats into the drake. No one could imagine what kind of nightmare the foul magic of Sheng has induced in the poor reptile, but it starts to bit itself, tearing chunks of flesh off.
"And you wanted to do that to me..." comments the sorcerer before lunching another set of attacks. He poses again and unleashes the gaseous creature one more time. The drake this time lashes at himself with its claws, before a blob of acid was sapped by the sorceror, and strikes the creature out of his trance, and almost out of his misery.

[sblock=Actions]
Shift back
Chaos bolt on Drake: 11+7=18 vs will, hits for 15
AP with bravura: 15+7=22 hits drake for 11
Bravura basic attack: 18+7=25 hits drake for 11
Total damage: 15+11+11= 37 Damn damage rolls![/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Raiko scoffs at the sorcerer. "I wear plate for a reason. Guard drakes fight with less aggression if they cannot maintain a pack mentality. Do not confuse age with wisdom."

Voda Vosa

First Post
Sheng merely smiles laciviously at Raiko. "It is easy to dodge a spear that comes in front of you but hard to keep harms away from an arrow shot from behind." the sorceror quotes. "You are now amidst the enemies. I ask you to be prudent, not wise. It is futile to ask apples from a cherry tree."

dimsdale

First Post
"Yessssss! Ha Ha! You guys should argue more often." Max yells as he looks at the carnage, both dead and still living (but hurting) do to the brutal attacks from both Sheng and Raiko. Max tries desperately to think of something else that will piss the two of them off even more.

ooc: Sheng, Max and Raiko don't get another AS until we kill the drake, correct?

[sblock=stats]
Adverse Condition: none
Initiative: +4
Max - Human Bravura Warlord
*Passive Insight 12
*Passive Perception 13
*Senses Normal
*HP 22 18 + 1 temp = 19
*Bloodied 22 Surge Value 5; Surges Per-Day 7 5 LEFT
*AC =18
*Fortitude 16 Reflex 15 Will 13 Speed 5
*action Points: USED
*Second Wind: 1
Powers
*At will:
Commander's Strike
Brash Assault
Opening Shove
*Encounter:
Inspiring Word 2
Battle Awareness
Hammer and Anvil USED
*Daily
Concentrated Attack USED
[/sblock]

Last edited:

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Haruka stumbles back as the arrow catches her shoulder. Shakily, she reaches up and touches the wound, getting blood on her fingers. Her eyes narrow in anger.

"I don't know, Ashir. If I could see him, he'd be on fire. This one will have to do." She flicks her bloody fingers at the nearby cultist, who immediately falls to the floor writhing in pain.

[sblock=Actions]Move: Shift to current location, lose concealment.
Minor: Curse guard
Standard: Eyes of the Vestige the guard. Hits Will 19 for damage. Gain 6 thp. If there is an enemy within his line of sight and within 3 squares of him, that enemy gets cursed.

Can I see the sniper? The flavor text says yes but the map says no. Nevermind. If he's still hiding, I'm unlikely to find him, since I usually don't have the minor action to spare. Also, shoddy perception.[/sblock]

[sblock=Haruka's mini-stats]Haruka Sato- human warlock 3
Initiative: +2 | Passive perception: 10 | Passive Insight: 16
AC: 17 | For: 16
| Ref: 16 | Will: 15
HP: 28/40+6 | Bloodied: 20 | Surge value: 10 | Surges: 10/10
Resist: 5 Necrotic, 5 Poison
Speed: 6 | Languages: Allarian, Tsugo
AP: 1 | Second Wind: not used
Basic Attack/Opportunity attack: +3 vs AC, 1d6
Powers: Eldritch Blast, Hellish Rebuke, Eyes of the Vestige
Vampiric Embrace
Fiery Bolt

Flames of Phlegethos

Ethereal Stride

Deathcut Armor
Prison of Salzacas[/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=Haruka]Yep, you cursed the sniper; he was in the guard's LOS without cover.[/sblock]

[sblock=Max]I noticed I missed a question concerning the battlefront leader ability; it only triggers when you roll initiative, just like the +2 to initiative from the other possible warlord class feature.

That's why I allowed you to swap for battlefront; that way at least you get a heavy shield!

Technically, you don't get an AS after killing these monsters; none are 'boss' monsters like the Evil Wizard. But for balance's sake, you will gain the AS when the evil wizard dies. The surge of triumph carried through the crystal will motivate you.
[/sblock]

Patrin, staggered, makes a clumsy swing but that's good enough for a lowly guard and he dispatches him. His vision is still swimming, though.

The sniper reappears and once again nails Haruka. This time though, her eyes lock on him. Time for some payback.

The elite trooper keeps the pressure on Patrin and scores some blood. The Wizards makes it worse with an accurate arcane bolt.

The archer trailing the heroes keeps firing arrows toward Ashir.

Elsewhere, claws rake harmlessly against steel as the bloodhawk fails to avenge its brother when he attacks Raiko. The Drake is crazed by pain and attacks Sheng, jumping and nearly tearing his throat. He is then punished by divine sanction for ignoring Raiko's challenge and is nearly done for.

[sblock=Action]
Patrin kills the guard
1d20+11=17, 1d10+6=16

save (1d20=7)
It starts over...

Sniper: Move current position (this time, since he had to move to get LOS before his attack, he can't hide)
Standard:
vs AC 17 (1d20+9+2=30, 1d8+4=8, 1d6=4)

Elite Trooper
1: attack 2:recharge (twice, I forgot last round) 5-6 (1d20+10+2=30, 1d10+3=8, 2d6=5)
Recharge: was 1 and 4, no recharge.

Wizard
vs Patrin Ref 17 (1d20+6+2=17, 3d4+4=8) hit

Archer
vs Ashir (1d20+9=12) miss

Blood Hawk
vs Raiko AC 20 (1d20+6=13, 1d6+5=6)

Drake
vs Sheng (1d20+6-2=17, 1d10+9=18)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats and Status]
Evil Wizard: 63/88

Guard Drake: 7/48

Haruka: 22 /40 [10/10] AS 1
Max: 18 +4 /22 [5/7] AS 0
Raiko: 22 +5 /25 [6/10] AS 1
Patrin: 13 /52 [10/11] AS 1, Dazed (save ends), marked by Elite guard
Sheng 12 /36 AS 1
Ashir: 17 +4 /22 [5/7] AS 0

Blood Hawk
Small
Perception 16
HP 27; Bloodied 13
AC 15; Fortitude 12, Reflex 14, Will 12
Speed 2 (clumsy), fly 6
OA Claw Rake (standard, at-will)
+6 vs AC; 1d6+5 damage, and the target takes ongoing 2 damage, or ongoing 5 damage if the blood hawk is bloodied (save ends).

Evil Wizard (Not Sheng; the Skull and Book token]
Perception 10;
HP 88; Bloodied 44
AC 18; Fortitude 14, Reflex 14, Will 14
OA Dagger (standard, at-will) Weapon
+8 vs AC; 1d4+1 damage.

Sniper
Perception 12;
HP 31; Bloodied 15
AC 16; Fortitude 13, Reflex 15, Will 12 ; see also goblin tactics
OA: none, unless short sword drawn.
Short Sword (standard, at-will) Weapon
+7 vs AC; 1d6 + 2 damage.

Guard Drake
Perception 17
HP 48; Bloodied 24
AC 15; Fortitude 15, Reflex 13, Will 12
Immune fear (while within 2 squares of an ally)
OA: Bite (standard, at-will)
+6 vs AC; 1d10+3 damage, or 1d10 + 9 damage while within 2 squares of an ally.

Guards (G)
Perception 11
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 16; Fortitude 16, Reflex 14, Will 13
Morningstar (standard, at-will) Weapon
OA +7 vs AC; 5 damage. If another Guard is adjacent to the target, the target also falls prone.
Combat Advantage
The tough’s attack deals 1 extra damage to any target granting combat advantage to it.

Archers (A)
Perception 16
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 16; Fortitude 13, Reflex 14, Will 11 ; see also mob rule
Crossbow (standard, at-will) Weapon
Ranged 15/30; +9 vs AC; 3 damage.
OA none unless they dropped the crossbow and drew a spear
Then; +7 vs AC; 2 damage.
Mob Rule:
The archer gains a +2 power bonus to all defenses while at least two other human archers or guards are within 5 squares of it.

Warforged Cultist
Perception 13
HP 56; Bloodied 28
AC 20; Fortitude 17, Reflex 15, Will 14
Saving Throws +2 against ongoing damage
Speed 5
OA Longsword (standard, at-will)
+9 vs AC; 1d8+4 damage, and the target is marked until the end of the warforged soldier’s next turn.
Battlefield Tactics:
The warforged soldier gains a +1 bonus to melee attacks if it has an ally adjacent to the target.

Elite Troopers
Perception 16
HP 47; Bloodied 23
AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 15, Will 14
OA Longsword (standard, at-will) Weapon
+10 vs AC; 1d10+3 damage, and the target is marked until the end of the next turn.

Dretch
Perception 11; darkvision
Sickening Miasma aura 1; each enemy within the aura takes 1 damage whenever it takes a standard action or a move action. Multiple sickening miasma auras deal cumulative damage, up to 5 damage.
HP 44; Bloodied 22
AC 14; Fortitude 14, Reflex 13, Will 11
+5 vs AC; 2d6+2 damage.
[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
"I'm beginning to see why you two were more comfortable outside of the Empire." He says sternly, stepping forward. What about you guys? Are you holding up?

Feeling confident that one of them would be able to finish the drake, Raiko engages the remaining hawk. He jumps awkwardly but still cuts a swath of bloody feathers away.

[sblock=Actions]Minor: Divine Challenge on the Hawk.
Move: Shift forward.
Standard: Valiant Strike
Athletics: 10, Fail
Attack: 26 vs AC, 8 damage.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat Block]Raiko, Male Dragonborn Paladin 1 ()
Init: +0; P.Insight: 18; P.Perception: 13
AC: 20; Fort: 16; Reflex: 13; Will: 14
HP: 22/25 +5 thp; Surges: 6 hp, 6/10
AcP: 0
AdP: 1
Potions: 1

Skills: History +6, Insight +8, Intimidate +8, Religion +4
Languages: Common, Draconic
Str: 20, Con: 10, Dex: 10, Int: 8, Wis: 16, Cha: 12

Sling Bullets: 20/20

Divine Challenge, Holy Strike, Valiant Strike, Lay on Hands (1/3 per day)
Dragon Breath, Piercing Smite, Second Wind, Chanel Divinity (Divine Mettle/Divine Strength)
Paladin's Judgement[/sblock]

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Haruka smiles playfully at the acher, "There you are." She steps forward, causing shadowy tendrils to erupt from around her. They conceal her form, but also lash out at the cultist, wrapping around his limbs and throat. He pales and falters as Haruka is visibly bolstered.

"No no dear, we're not done..." Haruka whispers as she levels her rod at his chest. A crackling beam of eldritch power lances out and transfixes the man, holding him in place for a second before dissipating, dropping his body to the floor.

She turns to the cultist fighting Patrin, "And who do you think is next?'

Everything's wonderful. We're just cutting our way south. Although... it looks like our employer could use some help...

[sblock=Actions]Move: Move to current location, gain concealment.
Standard: Vampiric Embrace the Sniper. Hits Will 21 for 14 necrotic damage and 5 untyped. Also, I gain 8 thp. Targeting Will is fun. I bet I can kill him this round.
AP: Eldritch Blast the Sniper. Crit! Haruka's first. The sniper takes 15 + 8 damage, and dies. See? I can do more than kill minions. Also, I gain 6 thp, and throw them in the trash. *Sigh* Just one more level of a non-stacking boon.
Minor: Curse the elite trooper.

For some reason, this round I was convinced that my static damage mod was +6. The IC rolls have the wrong numbers, but I corrected them in my post.[/sblock]

[sblock=Haruka's mini-stats]Haruka Sato- human warlock 3
Initiative: +2 | Passive perception: 10 | Passive Insight: 16
AC: 17 (19)| For: 16 (18)
| Ref: 16 (18) | Will: 15 (17)
HP: 22/40+8 | Bloodied: 20 | Surge value: 10 | Surges: 10/10
Resist: 5 Necrotic, 5 Poison
Speed: 6 | Languages: Allarian, Tsugo
AP: 0 | Second Wind: not used
Basic Attack/Opportunity attack: +3 vs AC, 1d6
Powers: Eldritch Blast, Hellish Rebuke, Eyes of the Vestige
Vampiric Embrace
Fiery Bolt