• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Traps and Wards (Erekose 13 Judging) [Concluding]

Patlin

Explorer
Checking the rear of the fireplace would be difficult, as the flames burning in it would be a danger. They seem quite hot.

Patlin

Explorer
Animus said:
OOC: Can we attempt to put the flames out? Are we allowed to do that?

ooc: I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not aware of any provision of your contract (or rule in the SRD) that would prohibit it.

IcyCool

First Post
Guardian examines the fire in the fireplace. "Is anyone familiar with what sort of enchantment this is? I've not heard of a flame that can burn so warmly without fuel."

IcyCool

First Post
Patlin said:
ooc: I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not aware of any provision of your contract (or rule in the SRD) that would prohibit it.

OOC: Well, if the flames are magical, then extinguishing them might be construed as 'damages'.

Patlin

Explorer
Fritz looks it over. It might be more helpfull to analyze how the fireplace was enspelled than to consider more general arcane knowledge, but he understands the following:

1. Flame is probably an evocation effect, and while a normal continual flame spell produces no heat some variation thereof might be fashioned which produces heat as well as light.
2. The fireplace seems to be the equivalent of a magic item of some sort, though definitely not a portable one. Some scholars claim that it is possible to enchant effects into large, immobile structures more efficiently than into more portable equipment. The fireplace may be something of a compromise between a more usual magic item and a magic location.
3. Some such devices can be controlled with words of power, and therefore can be turned on or off. Those with the right skill can sometimes circumvent words of power known to them.
4. It might or might not be possible to reactivate the magit item if deactivated in a more mundane fashion... assuming that's possible to do.

[Sblock=Knowledge(Architecture/Engineering) DC 6]Anyone living here wouldn't want the fireplace burning in the summer, it'd be too hot.[/sblock]

Patlin

Explorer
Patlin said:
"Pay scale is as follows. Your group will get 500 gold on sign up. Your progress will be measured in stages. First stage is simply getting inside the estate, that's worth a thousand gold. Second stage is getting to the vault itself, that's worth 2,500 gold. Third stage -- and our gold is safe in this regard -- is getting inside the vault. That's worth 5,000 gold. Serious breakage will cost you 1,000 gold off the top, no breakage at all is worth a 1,000 gold bonus."

ooc: You're right, destroying the enchantment could effect your pay. Even if it does result in permanent damage, it would effect the payout rather than be a flat out violation of the contract.

JRYoung

First Post
"Interesting" comments Rethlin. "Fritz, do you know how to identify the control words for such magical effects?"

OOC: If Fritz knows Identify we could rest so he could memorize it. I'm not sure how else we can deal with the magical fire without destroying it (or getting burned by the flame).

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: As Artificers all know all the infusions on the artificer class list, he wll definitely know identify. He may or may not have a pearl with him, of course. He might also think of a more efficient way to turn off the fireplace, for that matter. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads