• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Traps and Wards (Erekose 13 Judging) [Concluding]

Animus

Explorer
Gimble Niffledorn

Gimble will take 20 on Search around the fireplace for a switch of some type to turn off the flame.

EDIT: that gives me a 28, btw.

Last edited:

IcyCool

First Post
Guardian gives Gimble enough room to work, but tries to stay close so that he can pull him back if it looks like he might get into trouble. He also examines the flame and tries to determine if he could lay his metal shield over the top of the flame, allowing people to cross over the flame to the back of the fireplace. Of course, there currently isn't anywhere for them to go once they get there, and the heat from the flame would eventually heat the shield up, but it might prove to be a useful option.

Patlin

Explorer
Searching carefuly around the fireplace, you are unable to find any sort of switch to turn off the flames. Your suspicion that the fireplace is command word activated is growing. Also, with additional attention to the area around the fireplace, you are becoming more convinced there might be something hidden below or beyond the flames.

IamTheTest

First Post
Unless anyone can think of a better solution I think we should try to douse the flames. Isnt it our goal to test the safety of the secrets held within this compound? Surely a thief would show little hesitation in this matter. Im sure I have a waterskin that could be used.

IcyCool

First Post
When Fritz mentions possibly putting out the flame, Guardian chimes in, "I could lay my shield down over the fire, that might keep the flames at bay long enough for someone to enter and examine the rear of the fireplace more carefully. But the fire will likely heat the metal up before long."

OOC: I believ that Patlin was referring to the Use Magic Device skill when he was talking about "faking the command word", does anyone have skill in that?

Animus

Explorer
Gimble Niffledorn

IcyCool said:
When Fritz mentions possibly putting out the flame, Guardian chimes in, "I could lay my shield down over the fire, that might keep the flames at bay long enough for someone to enter and examine the rear of the fireplace more carefully. But the fire will likely heat the metal up before long."

OOC: I believ that Patlin was referring to the Use Magic Device skill when he was talking about "faking the command word", does anyone have skill in that?

OOC: I see. I didn't catch that

Gimble searches around, trying to bypass the flames...

Use Magic Device (1d20+6=16)
Action point (1d6=5)

Total of 21.

Patlin

Explorer
Gimble reaches out toward the fire, concentrating on finding the magical field. He sense it, and mumbles nonsense word in an attempt to activate the magical 'switch' which turns the flame on and off. His initial heroic effort to activate the enchanted item blindly fails, but not so badly that he cannot try again.

ooc: It's a DC 25 check, but it can be retried unless you roll a natural 1. Without further use of action points, Gimble would have a 2 out of 3 chance to operate the fireplace if he continues in his efforts.

Remove ads