• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trip, Disarm, and picking up a weapon... any rules say the following is not correct?

Darklone

I don't really see why crawling around on the floor to grab your weapon should be easier than picking it up while you're on your feet. Go ahead and try it., you will be surprised. Take into account that you had been tripped, you're not just sitting there and waiting till the waitress brings your coffee.

LuYangShih

First Post
By the rules, picking up a weapon off of the ground while prone will provoke an AoO. No two ways about it. And that's also the way I would rule it. You're lying flat on your back while you're being hacked at by an opponent (remember, D&D combat is just a simulation of real time action) and if you divert your attention away from dodging his attacks to pick up your weapon, it would of course provoke the AoO as always.

Ferox4

First Post
Darklone said:
I don't really see why crawling around on the floor to grab your weapon should be easier than picking it up while you're on your feet. Go ahead and try it., you will be surprised. Take into account that you had been tripped, you're not just sitting there and waiting till the waitress brings your coffee.

Does the waitress get an AoO?:D

Picking up an item provokes an AoO.

Jotun

First Post
Dash Dannigan wrote:
Storminator , an individual cannot threaten when unarmed unless they possess the improved unarmed fighting feat.

Could someone please help me out and show me where in an official ruling supports this? Thanks in advance for the much needed assistance.

RigaMortus

Explorer
KaeYoss said:
You could of course pick up the weapon by yourself. He won't give you an AoO since he has no more weapons and therefore he won't threaten the area any more. In the next round, he can but hit you, try to disarm you (with his bare hands), or draw another weapon. And you just hurl the weapon as far away as you can, or simply put it away...

I thought someone just said you need to be in the same 5' square as the weapon to pick it up, no? If your opponent is already in that square, then I don't beleive you are capable of moving into it without doing a bull rush to get him out. I suppose if he is prone, you can move into it as well. But assuming he is not, and that all you did was disarm him, you can't pick up the weapon w/o moving him out of the 5' square first.

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Oracular Vision said:

Wrong. Picking a weapon up off the ground covers it all, unless you have a reading comprehenshion problem. It doesn't matter if you are prone or not. It couldn't be clearer. House rule away, but don't claim there is no rule, as you are wrong.

Okay, reading comprehension eh? Alright buddy, according to the chart "pick up an item" provokes an attack of opportunity. You of course are assuming this remains correct in ALL situations then (well how about just prone then)? I, of course, don't assume this hence my interpretation.

You want clear then? Here's clarity for you: You've already made the assumption that everything on chart 8-4 is correct for all situations then (at least for being prone that is). Thus you would allow me to do the following actions while prone without provoking an AoO:

mount a horse
open a door
draw a weapon (which I am laying on top of because I am prone)
loose a shield
ready a shield

All of these are under move-equivalent and according to you I can all perform while prone and receive no AoO. You know you're right, that's very clear. I don't know what I was thinking. Yeah, let's do it like that, afterall if we didn't we'd be "house-rulin'". That's such a great idea, while my character is prone he'll draw a weapon and ready a shield, while the poor guy in your game fumbles for a weapon laying on the ground next to him and gets an AoO. Heh, brilliant. Why didn't I see it before? I must have been blinded by its genius. :D

edit-note, this post contains heavy sarcasm, have a nice day :p

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads