• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trivia: When did you first play D&D?

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Fall of 1981. I was 11, tagging along with a friend/classmate when he went to play D&D at another classmate's house. At that time I had never read fantasy fiction and had never roleplayed.
The DM steered me through character creation, where I made up a halfling archer, and ran me through a short adventure. The only thing I remember was that we were on an ocean voyage and were attacked. At one point I had to dive overboard to rescue a fair maiden. From that day onward I was hooked...

Zenbryo

First Post
I was seven years old, so around 1992.

My older brother and his friends, who were in junior high, had started playing, and I'd gotten into the books and been completely fascinated by them.

It was 2nd Edition AD&D, and I finally pleaded and cajoled my way into letting me play with them. I played a half-elf fighter, who eventually ended his adventuring career as a wealthy baron living off of his share of a dragon's hoard.

I think the campaign was Dragon Mountain.

lordxaviar

Explorer
1972 - Chainmail

youngster sneaking train rides into Manhattan to play war games at a game store.
all kinds of war games and miniatures.

Chainmail came out and spurred our interest in medieval aspects of war.

we awaited ever new item about that time period.

I think it was 75 when the 3 volume book set came out. I still have mine packed away. Our first dungeons were the layout of every NYC area cemetery.. lots of zombies and skeletons, not to mention were wolves, and rats.
was given the blue box set. and later the red.

But wasnt total addicted until the hard cover books came out about 79-81 and started buying everything I could find including all the judges guild publications.

Last edited:

kitcik

Adventurer
Fall 1978

In fall 1978, I just started junior high - a new school. I am in NYC and a new friend introduced me to wargaming and the Compleat Strategist. I bought the basic D&D set (I still have the dice, albeit the D20 is basically round).

I remember when the "Advanced D&D DMG preview" issue of Dragon magazine came out. Like - there are rules to this game?!?

But we quickly adapted to 1st edition and I played through 11th grade. Then I quit for a long time - I missed 2nd Ed entirely - but I started playing again when 3rd Ed came out and have been playing ever since. Not to start the flame war, but I am playing 3.5 now b/c I think 4E is a live action MMO, not an RPG.

Anyways, some of the best memories:
- meeting my wife and her supporting my dream to attend Gen Con (I have now been to 6 Gen Cons, 2 Origins, and one Lake Geneva Con)
- meeting Gary Gygax. I had a long conversation with him at Gen Con before he got pissed at TSR, and he personalized my Tomb of Horrors.
- playing "Dark Tower" by Judges Guild and the TSR Giant modules. 9-12th are my favorite levels.
- Steve Chenault killing me with a troll in a C&C game at Lake Geneva Con
- playing my 1E half orc fighter/cleric and surviving a near TPK for sole possession of the final treasure in the fire giant module

Magesmiley

Explorer
1982. I was 9 at the time. One of my friends brought the original red rulebook and the Keep on the Borderlands to school and we played during a lunch. I was hooked and bought my own copy with money I got for my birthday when I turned 10.

noffham

Explorer
Nov. 1974 so that makes it- good lord 36 years and starting on my 37th!!

No wonder my back aches after standing behind my DM screen for 4 or 5 hours!!

I should go take my geritol.... ;)

Remove ads