TRM's Second Darkness, a Pathfinder RPG game (closed)

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Kronk Madaxe

Here's my initial work on a dwarf fighter. He's still under construction.

[sblock=Kronk's Class Photo]
leaving.asp

[/sblock]

[sblock=Kronk Madaxe, male dwarf fighter 1]
N Medium Humanoid (dwarf)
Init +1 (+4 surprise round); Senses darkvision 60 ft., Perception +5 (+7 taste- and touch-based, and +7 vs. unusual stonework)
Language Common, Dwarven, Goblin
-----
AC 11 (+1 Dex), touch 11, flat-footed 10; Defensive Training
hp 19 (1 HD)
Fort +4*, Ref +1*, Will +1* (*Doesn't include +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities)
-----
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares)
Melee , or
Melee (vs. orcs and goblins)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +1; CMB +3 (+7 when resisting bull rush or trip while standing on the ground)
-----
Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 8
SQ defensive training, keen senses, stonecunning, weapon familiarity
Feats Intimidating Prowess, Power Attack
Skills (Ranks) Appraise +3 (+6 with greed racial trait) (1), Intimidate +5 (1), Knowledge (dungeoneering) +6 (1), Knowledge (engineering) +6 (1), Perception +5 (1)
-----
Possessions: 5d6=17 x 10 = 170 gp
-----
Background Traits:
Looking for Work: Perception is a class skill.

Talent for Sudden Violence: You grew up in and around violence. Survival often depended on drawing first blood, or at least being the first one to get out of harm's way. Consequently, you developed quick reflexes in dangerous situations. Gain a +3 initiative bonus during a surprise round.

Racial Traits:
Slow and Steady: Dwarves have a base speed of 20 feet, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance.

Stonecunning: Dwarves treat any Profession skill related to stone as a class skill. They receive a check to notice such features whenever they pass within 10 feet of them, regardless of whether or not they are actively looking.

Greed: Dwarves treat Appraise as a class skill when attempting to determine the price of nonmagical goods that contain precious metals and gemstones.

Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves are proficient with battleaxes, heavy picks, and warhammers, and treat any weapon with the word “dwarven” in its name as a martial weapon.

Defensive Training: Dwarves get a +4 dodge bonus to AC against monsters of the giant type.

Favored Class: Fighter.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
TRM, sorry about the gold, I jumped in there without checking properly!

As for traits, I see there's already one called "Hedge Wizard". I'd like to keep the idea that he's gleaned various bits of magic-based knowledge over the years, so how about replacing Knowledge (engineering) with Knowledge (the planes)? Maybe call the trait Mystical Education or something?

ghostcat

First Post
Here's my initial attempt at a Half Elf Monk. I still need to work out starting money and equipment. I also need to finalise the Traits.

As far a traits are concerned, my background implies that he has a trait that makes Diplomacy a class skill. In which case, the campaign trait would be "Looking For Work" (+1 to Intimidate) Is this OK?

At the moment part of my background is DM ONLY. This is because it contains information that it not generally know in the world. If you like, I can make this "Player Information"

[sblock="Chan Ti Male Half Elf Monk 1"]
Str: 13 (3 points)
Dex: 16 (5 points to 14, +2 Half Elf Bonus)
Con: 12 (2 points)
Int: 10 (0 points)
Wis: 14 (5 points)
Cha: 10 (0 points)

Half Elf (Tien heritage).
30 ft. base move,
Low-Light Vision,
Keen Senses (+2 Perception sight/sound),
Elven Immunities (immune to magic sleep, +2 against enchantment),
Adaptability (Skill Focus as bonus feat),
Elf Blood
Favoured Class Monk.
AL: LN

Monk 1
Hit points 15 (HD 8 + 1 (con mod) + 6 (half Con))
AC 15 (10 + 3 (Dex Modifier) + 2 (Monk Wisdom Bonus)
BAB +0, melee +1, ranged +3
Fort +3
Reflex +5
Will +4
CMB +1
Initiative +3 (+3 Dex)
Tlraits: Looking For Work (+1 to ?)
(SEE COMMENT)

Skills 5 (4 class, 0 Int, +1 favoured class)
Acrobatics +5
Diplomacy +4
Escape Artist +7
Perception +6 (+2 to Sight and Sound from Half Elf)
Stealth +10 (+3 from Skill focus)

Feats
1st Level Combat Reflexes
Monk Improved Unarmed Strike
Monk Bonus Deflect Arrows
Half Elf Bonus Skill Focus

Equipment
TBD

Total weight ??
Money

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 140lbs
[/sblock]

[sblock="Description"]A tall skinny looking Half Elf wearing a dark gray monk's outfit. Ti's features are fairly nondescript, with brown eyes and a long thin face. However, this is made up for by his hair which is dark orange worn in a Mohecan cut.
[/sblock]

[sblock="Background"]Ti does not know his parents. All he knows is that his mother sold him into the service of the Di-Chan order when he was a baby. From that day until his 23 year, Ti was cloistered in the Di-Chan monastery, perfecting his art and skills.

To give the novice experience of the world outside of the monastery, they are taken to town near the monastery during the final year of their novitiate. There they are given a series of tests. These tests always take the same form, the novice has to follow someone for 24 hours and then use his dipolmacy skills to determine what the target was doing.

Ti was given three of these tests:

In the first test, he fell for the charms of a pretty young whore and totally blow it.

In the second test, Ti was introduced to drinking and gambling and woke up in the gutter broke and hung over.

By the time of the third test, Ti had become a little more streetwise and managed to ignore the various temptations that where put in his path and completed his mission.

Shortly after his third test, Ti was initiated in the Di-Chan order and was told to go out in to the world and perfect his art.
[/sblock]

[sblock="Background DM ONLY"]The Di-Chan Order

The Di-Chan order maintains a monastery in a hidden valley in the foothills. To the Novices, Initiates and the few outsiders that know about it, the Di-Chan is just an order of monks dedicated to the perfection of the marshal arts. While this is true as far as it goes, the order actually supports itself by acting as an information broker. Its initiates roam the world and report back to the monastery. There, the information is collated and sold. Occasionally, one of the Initiates will receive orders either to go on a specific mission or to obtain a specific piece of information.

Ti was ordered to report anything "interesting" back to the monastery. (A part of Ti's training involved learning how to recognise what was of interest to the order.)
[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
Thanks, I will take shape shift and d10 HD :)
I also took a more common trait from the link you provided.

Do we have a cleric? Looks like we doesn't. Would you also allow Spontanous Rejuvenation variant (also PH2)? The druid is, with the change to turn undead, already a much worse healer tahn the cleric and this would help to compensate. Summoning on the other hand can get annoying quickly.

I have changed my second background trait. Still working on some background details.

Last edited:

The Rolling Man

First Post
I've created a rogue gallery. You can post your characters there once their mostly finish. I'll then review them in greater details.

Many considered Voadam touched in the head. The man was said to have called himself "the Green Wizard of Althora" but performed no magics claiming "it works different here" and nobody had ever heard of Althora. ...(snip)
It's an interesting proposal for sure but I wonder if such an 'ancient hero' character will fit well with the first adventure of the adventure path. By this I mean that we don't get to fighting demons and ancient evils right off the bat ;).

Mark Chance said:
Here's my initial work on a dwarf fighter. He's still under construction.
Looking good so far. I wonder what sort of class makes you take photos with dead rats :uhoh:. Seriously, I just have 2 small things. First, about the trait, you can have a +2 bonus to all initiative rolls (there's already one such trait in the player's guide) or I'd allow a +3 to initiative in surprise rounds (i.e. only applicable if you're aware in the surprise round). Second, you should switch out 'spot' for the more general 'perception' skill of the Pathfinder RPG.

Dr. Simon said:
As for traits, I see there's already one called "Hedge Wizard". I'd like to keep the idea that he's gleaned various bits of magic-based knowledge over the years, so how about replacing Knowledge (engineering) with Knowledge (the planes)? Maybe call the trait Mystical Education or something?
This is all fine by me.

ghostcat said:
Here's my initial attempt at a Half Elf Monk. I still need to work out starting money and equipment. I also need to finalise the Traits.

As far a traits are concerned, my background implies that he has a trait that makes Diplomacy a class skill. In which case, the campaign trait would be "Looking For Work" (+1 to Intimidate) Is this OK?
I like the background and your trait is fine. It can be something like :
Di-Chan initiate : You have passed the tests of the Di-Chan monks and have been initiated to their order. The training and philosophy of the monastic order allows you to easily interact with others. You gain a +1 trait bonus on Diplomacy checks, and Diplomacy is always a class skill for you.

I'd like to assume that your character was borned and raised in distant Tian Xia continent (the Golarion's 'Far East Asia' analog). He traveled throught the Crown of the World and hasn't been in Varisia for very long. Tell if that's fine with you.

You can also pick the Tien language instead of Elven if you wish. Finaly, I've rolled 30 gp for your character (monks are poorer then druids)

Walking Dad said:
Do we have a cleric? Looks like we doesn't. Would you also allow Spontanous Rejuvenation variant (also PH2)? The druid is, with the change to turn undead, already a much worse healer tahn the cleric and this would help to compensate. Summoning on the other hand can get annoying quickly.
I prefer to keep this as is for now. Maybe the group will have to quickly invest in a good old wand of cure light wounds. On that note, I'd like to inform all of you that my potions, scrolls and wands aren't always actual potions, scrolls and wands. For example, there might be a potion effect on a waxed fruit you need to take a bite off, a statuette might be charged with a wand effect and you might need to shatter a crystal and recite a few words to release a 'scroll' effect. This doesn't have any mechanical effects but brings a bit more variety to the magical items.

Ambrus

Explorer
Sorry for failing to post a character thus far; been busy. I'm currently looking at kobolds and was wondering what changes if any you'd see fit to make for Pathfinder. Here are their PC stats from Races of the Dragon:

+2 Dex, -4 Str, -2 Con
Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Stealth checks.
Humanoid (dragonblood, reptilian)
Base land speed is 30 feet.
+1 natural armor.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
+2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner) and Perception checks.
Light Sesitivity: Kobolds are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
Automatic Languages: Draconic. Bonus Languages: Common and Undercommon.
Favored Class: Sorcerer.

In an attempt to give them a little more oomph as PCs, since they're so weak, WotC put out this web enhancement to further empower the little guys: Web Enhancement: Races of the Dragon -- Kobolds: Playing to Their Strengths

Let me know what you think and whether its too late to post a character. :)

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Looking good so far. I wonder what sort of class makes you take photos with dead rats :uhoh:.

Not rats. Squirrels. Can't stand the things. Always hiding nuts. I mean, seriously, what the hell's that about? Creepy little rodents.... *mutter, mutter*

Seriously, I just have 2 small things. First, about the trait, you can have a +2 bonus to all initiative rolls (there's already one such trait in the player's guide) or I'd allow a +3 to initiative in surprise rounds (i.e. only applicable if you're aware in the surprise round). Second, you should switch out 'spot' for the more general 'perception' skill of the Pathfinder RPG.

Let's go for the +3 on surprise rounds. And, yeah, I caught the Spot vs. Perception mistake last night. I actually woke up around 11:30 p.m. when I realized it. Apparently I proofread characters in my dreams.

:D

Dr Simon

Explorer
Ambrus: All PF character races have a +2 ability score bonus above standard 3.5 races, so perhaps that might help make him less of a weed.

@ Rolling Man: I think I missed out languages. With an Int bonus of +2, Tolly should have Common, plus two bonus languages, plus another human language, is this right? What would be a suitable language for a character with familiarity with old magic books? Draconic is usually considered the standard, but would Thassilonian be possible?

ghostcat

First Post
I've created a rogue gallery. You can post your characters there once their mostly finish. I'll then review them in greater details.

This is all fine by me.

I like the background and your trait is fine. It can be something like :
Di-Chan initiate : You have passed the tests of the Di-Chan monks and have been initiated to their order. The training and philosophy of the monastic order allows you to easily interact with others. You gain a +1 trait bonus on Diplomacy checks, and Diplomacy is always a class skill for you.

I'd like to assume that your character was borned and raised in distant Tian Xia continent (the Golarion's 'Far East Asia' analog). He traveled throught the Crown of the World and hasn't been in Varisia for very long. Tell if that's fine with you.

You can also pick the Tien language instead of Elven if you wish. Finaly, I've rolled 30 gp for your character (monks are poorer then druids)

Like the Trait and I agree about just arriving in Varisia. I'll move the character over to the Rogues Gallery and update the Traits and Background later today. I'll also spend my money wisely.

Still not sure whether to take Tien instead of Elven. Although given the background it makes sense.

Ambrus

Explorer
Damn. I had the stats for my kobold rogue, but lost it due to a glitch while uploading it. Fortunately I managed to save the character background I'd typed up. TRM, please take a look at it and let me know what you think. Feel free to also roll my starting gold and to suggest possible campaign specific feats and traits that you think might be appropriate. I'll wait to hear back from you concerning Pathfinder kobolds before I go about stating him up again. :)

[sblock=The Rolling Man]Here's tha dark of it, bes as I can figure. Few years back some eggsucking bigfeet bashers done in a brood of kobolds somewhere up north; probably in tha Lurkwood or past tha Red Mountains. Came inta town with whatever shiny shinies they'd got to buy some bub and ta rut with some laced mutton.

Mayhaps they was canny, mayhaps jes ol' sodding hatchwits, but they'd snatched a shiny-shiny egg from tha kobold brood's rookery that they took ta be that o' some kinda trueblood. Sodding leatherheads. Came down with goldfever an so went ta tha Cypher Lodge ta bilk a fancyboy. Eggsucking fancyboy got all giddy at tha sight o' that shiny-shiny an gave em some pelf fer it; thought he'd got hiself a lil shoulder dragon familiar in tha makin. Addle-coved twit.

So off go tha egg snatchers ta rut or drink bub till they've no shine left. Tha dandy fancyboy builds hiself a nice lil nest and sets ta work on hatchin tha thing. Fortnight later, I come on out ta say hi. Peery fancyboy tumbles ta tha dark 'o it right quick; I aint ever gonna be no shoulder dragon. Now this top-shelf fancyboy, Tammerhawk – yeah, that Tammerhawk, is plenty pissed that he's been bobbed, but don't want none o' his fancyboy buddies tumbling ta just how big o' a gully he is. So he takes me, a tiny hatchwit, and does tha same that he does with tha rest o' tha drek from his arse; dumps my hide down a midden chute.

The redgut gnawin away got me crawlin an digging through tha stink-stink. Had ta run-run from tha plagues ta live; so damned many o' em down in tha sewers fightin fer turf. Got it figured out in time though; made some slow fangs, learnt ta fight-fight and turned em inta meat and skins. Even took on a donkey rat once; that'd be this here skull. So these years later, lucky or no, I aint dead yet. Tammerhawk be damned.

Now I got this burg figured out. I watch from the grates at tha blackeyes scurying around in tha streets overhead. I listen at the drains to em spillin tha dark o things. I take what they toss down here; tha good an tha bad. When I get tired o' waitin on em I jes go up an take what I need. Some o' tha bashers I even work with; rat-catchers, toshers, sewer rats, tinkers, sewer hunters, rogues an even a few other kobolds. Some o' em aint even half bad.

As I seez it, startin from tha gutter, things can only keep headin up fer me. A while back a dark splotch started blottin out tha damed daylight. Good that. One less thing ta worry bout if it gets big nough. Now I hear talk about a shiny-shiny game goin on at tha Goblin. Might jess have ta check that out.[/sblock]
I'm considering taking the Dragonwrought feat from Races of the Dragon. Are you familiar with it or should I post the description for you?

Last edited:

Remove ads