• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True Resurrection Question

sfedi

First Post
Could a "commando" get behind enemy lines,
and before he is killed, suicide himself
and be True Resurrected in his home territory?

For your reference:
This spell functions like raise dead, except that you can resurrect a creature that has been dead for as long as 10 years per caster level. This spell can even bring back creatures whose bodies have been destroyed, provided that you unambiguously identify the deceased in some fashion (reciting the deceased’s time and place of birth or death is the most common method).
Upon completion of the spell, the creature is immediately restored to full hit points, vigor, and health, with no loss of level (or Constitution points) or prepared spells.
You can revive someone killed by a death effect or someone who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed. This spell can also resurrect elementals or outsiders, but it can’t resurrect constructs or undead creatures.
Even true resurrection can’t restore to life a creature who has died of old age.

UltimaGabe

First Post
I don't see why not. I mean, it's a pretty freakin' costly way to get a bt of information, especially considering you'd have to be able to get behind the enemy lines in the first place.

I don't see it as ever being practical considering the high cost.

Creat

First Post
sure that should work fine, he'd just have to get to his home territory somehow while he is dead. And it's pretty expensive considering that the spell costs 5000 gold in material components alone I think.

sfedi

First Post
Couldn't you just res him without his body?
The guy dies, his death is detected somehow, his place and time is divinated somehow, and then you can cast the spell, from a distant place.
Just paying the (hefty) material cost.

Couldn't that be possible?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Creat said:
sure that should work fine, he'd just have to get to his home territory somehow while he is dead. And it's pretty expensive considering that the spell costs 5000 gold in material components alone I think.

Or 5 times that....

UltimaGabe

First Post
Creat said:

..Sounds to me like you're thinking of Raise Dead.

With True Resurrection, he can commit suicide anywhere he wants, and people back at home can bring him back- assuming they're willing to pay the 25,000 gp material component cost.

Like I said, it's pretty costly, and I can't see it being practical. After all, why not make an item of Sending 1/day or something? There's easier ways to communicate, off the top of my head.

Sithobi1

First Post
Why does it matter if you are dead? After all, the rules never say you can't take actions or deal damage while dead. :p Just keep fighting, and wipe out the enemy; after they are all gone, you can stay dead or come back to life so your items will count as attended again.

reanjr

First Post
sfedi said:
Could a "commando" get behind enemy lines,
and before he is killed, suicide himself
and be True Resurrected in his home territory?

For your reference:

In my interpretation of the RAW, it would only work if the commando disintigrated himself or some such thing, destroying his body.

reanjr

First Post
Sithobi1 said:
Why does it matter if you are dead? After all, the rules never say you can't take actions or deal damage while dead. :p Just keep fighting, and wipe out the enemy; after they are all gone, you can stay dead or come back to life so your items will count as attended again.

You also become immune to a lot of spells when you become an object.

Shin Okada

Explorer
It is possible. But in addition to the matereal component cost, he loses all of his gears.

Also, if the enemy force has a bunch of Barghests.....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads