D&D 5E True Strike Revision

bgbarcus

Explorer
A chance at getting an guaranteed crit on your next turn in exchange for spending your action this turn casting a spell does not sound overpowered to me. If the character fails to hit they wasted a turn casting the spell. Yes, the crit damage for some classes is big, but the monster got an extra round of fighting because the big damage PC delayed attacking.

I still reserve the option of cancelling the house rule if it gets out of control but it hasn't happened yet. Most people want to get their attacks in before a big enemy can user its high damage attacks (which always get used as early as possible in a fight).

ro

First Post
I like the critical hit idea, and I also like the helping another player idea. Here are five versions:

1. True Strike - Critical
divination cantrip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Sight
Components: S
Duration: 1 round

You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range. Your magic grants you a brief insight into the target’s defenses. You have advantage on your next attack roll against that target before the end of your next turn, and if it hits, the hit is a critical hit.

2. True Strike - Critical, Any Helper
divination cantrip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range. Your magic grants you a brief insight into the target’s defenses. The next attack against the target before the end of your next turn has advantage, and if it hits, the hit is a critical hit.

3. True Strike - Critical, Specific Helper
divination cantrip

You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range. Your magic grants you a brief insight into the target’s defenses. Choose one creature of your choice. That creature's next attack against the target has advantage, and if it hits, the hit is a critical hit.

4. True Strike - Specific Helper
divination cantrip

You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range. Your magic grants you a brief insight into the target’s defenses. Choose one creature of your choice. That creature's next attack against the target has advantage.

5. True Strike - Any Helper
divination cantrip

You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range. Your magic grants you a brief insight into the target’s defenses. The next attack against the target has advantage.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
A chance at getting an guaranteed crit on your next turn in exchange for spending your action this turn casting a spell does not sound overpowered to me. If the character fails to hit they wasted a turn casting the spell. Yes, the crit damage for some classes is big, but the monster got an extra round of fighting because the big damage PC delayed attacking.

I still reserve the option of cancelling the house rule if it gets out of control but it hasn't happened yet. Most people want to get their attacks in before a big enemy can user its high damage attacks (which always get used as early as possible in a fight).

I like the crit idea, but I think it might be too strong for a paladin. The ability to crit-smite at will seems like a lot.

bgbarcus

Explorer
Auto-crit on a hit not may be too much. If it turns out that way I would make one more change by removing the advantage. A normal attack with guaranteed crit on a hit still gives quite a bit of value.

For now, I suspect my players have forgotten my edit because nobody has used True Strike after the character that played a revenant in Curse of Strahd (meaning he never left Barovia).

I changed TS to let you cast it on an ally, basically just a ranged help action. I think that works better but keeps it simple.

I'd add d6 damage to the attack at 5/11/17 as well. IMO, ranged help isnt good enough to justify using up a limited cantrip pick AND your concentration slot.

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I'd add d6 damage to the attack at 5/11/17 as well. IMO, ranged help isnt good enough to justify using up a limited cantrip pick AND your concentration slot.

That's a good idea. Could also just drop concentration, don't think it is really necessary.

Remove ads