• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trying to design the 5e version of Dragon Fist

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I've tried this before and it was awful, largely because I was working without having seen (or heard of) the original Dragon Fist.

I've drastically simplified the classes, cutting down to the Basic Four and limiting them to a handful of class features each.

Each class gets a Martial Arts die, which doubles both as unarmed damage like a Monk and the Superiority Dice value for Battlemaster Maneuvers, and a number of Maneuvers Known; available Maneuvers include all Battlemaster Maneuvers, all Elemental Monk disciplines, and a smattering of class features from Fighter, Rogue, Ranger, and especially Monk.

The main problem I'm having is in making sure that class features and the like are "small" enough to fit into this maneuver system.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this work, or any interest in seeing it?

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I should note I'm using a hybrid between modern D&D's ability score modifiers and Dragon Fist's stunt die-- you always get the appropriate modifier, and then you add the stunt die when performing the appropriate stunt. This extends the range of the RNG a little bit and helps loosen bounded accuracy

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Quick look at what I've got so far. I think some of those maneuvers-- especially Reslient and Evasion-- are too big for maneuvers, but I'm not sure how to work feats into this yet.

One thing I'm thinking is using a variant of the Conan d20 ability score progression-- +1 to two stats every 4th, then +1 to all stats at 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th. Then maybe I could handle feats like standard 5e, in exchange for one of your "normal" ASIs. Maybe even allow it for one of your "all" ASIs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads