• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

trying to find a feat

Caliban

Rules Monkey
PrinceZane said:
This is why I never understood spellcasters... I'm pure melee guy myself...

But unless you were the unfortunate victim of some bullrush or grapple or something, why would you ever chess move yourself into a corner?

Some of our guys will just take the concentration roll and cast while the figher continues to pummel... just doesn't make sense to me...

Reasons for casting defensively:

Your opponent has reach, and is right on top of you.

You are flanked by enemies, and can't 5' step to non-threatened square.

Your fighting in a small corridor so you can't step away from the wall.

Bad guy is right on top of you, and you want to cast Invisibility and do a full move away.

Last edited:

Let me just say that Mage Slayer is one naaaaaaaaaaasty feat. Especially for monsters with reach. Especially for monster with reach and improved grab.

Venport

First Post
How about with my orc chain fighter!! that's my goal... however i have vew few skill pnts and i will need spel craft ranks... time to become friends with the party wizard

Shariell

First Post
I want to cast defensively even when I cast a touch spell (say "slay living"), and THAN I take the 5' step to exit the threatened area if the spell fails :)

Venport

First Post
Shariell said:
I want to cast defensively even when I cast a touch spell (say "slay living"), and THAN I take the 5' step to exit the threatened area if the spell fails :)

that's not how i understand it working (could be wrong but i doubt it) a cleric is standing next to a fighter with this feat. While the cleric is casting the spell the fighter gets an AoO on him (becaue he can't cast defensivey normaly he would get a concentratoin check) the figter dose damge the cleric must do a concenration check = to dmage delt to keep the spell then the cleric dose the touch attack if he suckceeds if he fails then he can take his 5' step back....

Shadeus

First Post
Caliban said:
Reasons for casting defensively:

Your opponent has reach, and is right on top of you.

You are flanked by enemies, and can't 5' step to non-threatened square.

Your fighting in a small corridor so you can't step away from the wall.

Bad guy is right on top of you, and you want to cast Invisibility and do a full move away.

Let me add that the melee fighter is unconscious at the feet of a 10-headed hydra and as the cleric with the travel domain, you need to run in there and dimension door him out before he becomes hydra chow. Not that this has happened to me before or anything. :) [Incidently, I rolled exactly the number I needed to succeed, or there would have been two unconscious characters there.]

Shadeus

First Post
Shariell said:

The wiser choice (if it's possible) is to cast the spell outside of their threat range and then use your move action to walk up and touch the person. Of course, if you are already next to the enemy, then you are out of luck.

Remove ads