TURTLEDOME! (Battle Bone!) -- Part 2

KenHood

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Can I make my attack rolls with my real dice? You just give me the AC I need to hit and I'll tell you what I rolled. ;)
Hmm...that sounds o-- NO!

I hate that everyone gains meta-knowledge of the results of Insight and Perception checks when they roll the dice. "Whoops. I just got a 7, so whatever that guy says is probably a lie." "Whoops, I got a 5 on the information roll, so whatever my character thinks is true probably isn't." It makes things too predictable.

Isn't that part of what IC is for? rolling lots of dice that are hard to manage in real life? 40d20 and so on? It doesn't bother me either way, but I thought lots of rolls would be *easier* on IC.
Not with linking the results of the roll to each character that performs an attack.[/sblock]

weldon

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
I hate that everyone gains meta-knowledge of the results of Insight and Perception checks when they roll the dice. "Whoops. I just got a 7, so whatever that guy says is probably a lie." "Whoops, I got a 5 on the information roll, so whatever my character thinks is true probably isn't." It makes things too predictable.
Good point. I was thinking of other social interactions like, I try to use diplomacy and roll a 3. I should write some really awkward dialog for Finnian. I roll a 19, I should write some really awkward dialog for Finnian and try to throw in some country charm. ;)

I'm not sure how I feel about it from your perspective. On one hand, it's a game and skill challenges are a more important part of 4E (I've been reading up). It's kinda nice to roll when it's a skill thing. On the other hand, I think the story is King with PbP and you can make some compromises to the game mechanics to tell the story.

On the other hand, I'm really just wasting time while everyone else finishes up their business.
Not with linking the results of the roll to each character that performs an attack.
Got it.[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
[sblock=FitD]Have you looked in Arcane Power for possible feats? Some others for your consideration...
  • Elemental Echo: +1 attack, +2 damage after using an elemental manifestation.
  • Rising Spellfury: +1 to attack rolls after hitting enemy with at-will power.
For powers, you might consider Spacial Trip (lets you teleport) or Sorcerous Scirocco (lets you and an ally fly). Those would be good for getting out of a sticky situation.[/sblock]

[sblock=mohalloran]
Should I wait until after we get to Mr. Enchanter to get the armor? Or should I assume we get it?
However you want to handle it.[/sblock]

Emral walks up the front steps of Swillwort's house, avoiding a puddle of what appears to be former chamberpot contents. He knocks at the door, and gives it a solid knock (one two three).
In a moment, the door opens, revealing Annie's smiling face...which immediately turns into Annie's 'I think I smell something remarkably similar to human excrement' face. "You," she says in a disgusted tone.

She turns her head and shouts, "Mr. Swillwort, he's here!"

"Send him up."

"Yes, sir!"

She faces Emral and wags a finger. "Hurry up! He's waiting for you upstairs, first door on the right. I want that horrible thing out of the house as soon as possible."

As Emral walks up the stairs, he can hear a band playing and a man doing something between screaming and singing.

Swillwort leans on a cane at the top of the stairs. "I actualized your armor, as we discussed, distilling it from the very essence of your subconsious desires."

The enchanter sighs, then hobbles over to the door, opening it. "Your subconscious must be a very, very strange place..."

Through the door, you see a brilliantly colored, open-chest pirate coat. The color is high, with a massive flare. The tails of the coat split into what appears to be animate peacock feathers.

The coat is the source of the music.

Tiny fireworks shoot from the coat. Fog gushes from its tails. The word, "EMRAL!" appears on its surface, in bright, glowing, multi-colored letters, scrolling across every inch of the coat.

"YEEEEEEEAH!" shouts THE COAT! "It's the MAN, EMRAL! OW! C'mon, baby, slip me on. I was born to be next to your skin! I want to swaddle you in silky-smooth love and righteous sex appeal! YEAH!"

fireinthedust

Explorer
[sblock=Emral's Sheet]I'm fixing it. Put the summary to rights with his feat, and after I write this and get breakfast I'm going to add the Implement expertise feat bonuses to the sheet.

hey, did L4W decide to give everyone a free expertise/focus feat? I recall something like that coming up.[/sblock]

weldon

Explorer
[sblock=expertise]You get a free +1 bonus at level 5. You can take the feat earlier if you wish, but the bonus will not stack at level 5. At that point, you would use the retraining rules to drop expertise and pick up something else.[/sblock]

fireinthedust

Explorer
Emral looks at the coat, dumbfounded. So... tuh-tackiest... Wuh... wuh... wow! Giddily, Emral tip-toes over to the rack and puts on THE COAT! on arm at a time, like slipping into a silky dream.

weldon

Explorer
[sblock=expertise]I may have mispoken. It looks like weapon and implement expertise are flat-out disallowed from the wording in the charter. I recalled the discussion about them differently. Sorry[/sblock]
[sblock=coat of many colors & noises]Great reveal, Ken. FiTD, I hope you know what you're in for here :)[/sblock]

fireinthedust

Explorer
[sblock=feats]wait, so I can't take Implement Expertise?! bummer! I'll have to double-check that before I change my sheetck]therwise, Ken, my sheet is about done.[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
Emral catches a glimpse of himself in a nearby mirror.

Is it even possible that he looks better?

Why, yes. Yes, he does.

His massive pectorals and washboard abs ripple, fully exposed by the open chest of THE COAT! Energies from all elements appear to chase along the seams in the sorcerer's skin. At his waist, attached to the massive gold-studded girdle that binds the coat, are inset little bobble-head skulls that wiggle and clack whenever Emral moves. The large skull at the buckle is obviously that of Vaunea, but Emral can also identify the skulls of Drivan and Finnian (because of the ears attached to the skulls), along with that of Erlai.

"We love you, Emral!" says the Vaunea skull.

"You're a better arcane caster than I," says the Drivan skull, "I bow before your greatness."

"I have a secret man-crush on you, Emral," says the Finnian skull.

"Woof! Woof!" says the Erlai skull.

"Whoo! Will you look at that, baby?! LOOOOOOOK! AT! THAT! You are the walkin', talkin' apotheosis of HOT! OW! Why..."

The band begins to play, trumpets blaring.

"You're a brick...HOUSE!
You're mighty, mighty,
Just lettin' it all hang out!
Ow!
Emral is a brick...HOUSE!
He's the one, the only one,
He burns like the mornin' sun!"

Swillwort, mouth gaping, stares at Emral in shock.

"Yeah, baby! Turn around so we can take a look at our fine *****! I'm tellin' you, Emral man, the ladies will hate to see you go, but they will love to watch you leave!"

Swillwort coughs. "Speaking of leaving..."

"Ouch! Lookie here! Lookie here! Man, people say that clothes make the man, but I'm telling you, baby, that you, Emral, make the clothes! Oh, yeah! Get down with your bad self! Hnh!"

Remove ads