• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TURTLEDOME! (Battle Bone!) -- Part 2

KenHood

First Post
Wish you could tell me more, but I think I'll pass on getting more "dadem" from that thing you're holding. Once was enough for me.

Finnian grabs the tooth and walks back up...
Swillwort chuckles and puts up the Cudgel of Analysis, joining Finnian on first storey.

"I need to get back to your friend, Vaunea, so please excuse me."

When Finnian tries to follow, Swillwort gestures for him to stay. "She's in the middle of an arcane ritual. I'm afraid your presence would disrupt the spell. If you wish, you can wait here, in the living room. Drivan left for the library a while ago. I'm not sure where Emral has gone."

Listening to Swillwort's direction, Vaunea stands still...
Vaunea hears Swillwort's cane tapping in the hall. She also hears him laughing softly to himself. "Cudgel of Analysis. Hee-hee!"

The door opens. He puts a finger over his lips and motions for her to remain silent. The enchanter sits in a plush chair and reads a book.

...until the last bit of sand trickles out of the top of the hourglass.
A distant bell chimes. The copper bowl and its contents turn into liquid, splashing down onto Vaunea's body. Her scale armor acquires a dark metallic sheen, like that of hematite.

"Well, then, that's over, so I..."

Then, in an attempt to make it extra reinforcing, she stands still for another 5 minutes, hoping it gives her that extra bit of oomph.
Swillwort looks bemused. "...guess we'll wait a little longer."

Once she is ready to move...

"Hit Vaunea. Test armor." she say to the magical man in front of her, with an almost gleeful look on her face. She then braces for a blow from Swillwort.
"Annie!" shouts Swillwort, "Bring me a hickory axe handle!"

The maid complies. Swillwort brandishes the heavy club and smashes Vaunea with all his strength.

And he is surprisingly strong for a recently recovered invalid suffering from muscular atrophy.

But Vaunea's armor seems more than sufficient to the task.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Emral lets loose a few bursts of flame (at-will power) into the air, then relaxes. Alright, it was just a dream. I had a dream, and you, my good COAT! were in it. Swillwort took the dream out of my head and popped it into your enchantments. Perfectly understandable, and I think you'll do fine.
Okay, let's see what you can do. Um, can you make your surface lights blip red and blue like waves? Can you project any images of the party smashing skeletons? Um... do you know any songs by Lisa Loeb? The Rescues? Early AC/DC?

[sblock=I know I know] before anyone objects, I want to remind you all that music is universal.[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
Okay, let's see what you can do. Um, can you make your surface lights blip red and blue like waves?
"Yeah, baby! Yeah!" shouts THE COAT!, doing just as asked.

Can you project any images of the party smashing skeletons?
THE COAT! does that, too. "C'mon, baby, give me somethin' haaaaaaard to do!"

Um... do you know any songs by Lisa Loeb? The Rescues? Early AC/DC?
"I dunno WHAT you talkin' 'bout, Emral-man! I don't do squares-ville. There's only two kindsa good music in this here universe: FUNK and SOUL. And, baby, I'm all 'bout 'dat!"

(From the sound, lights, and bursts of fire rising into the heavens, Finnian surmises that Emral is outside the house, in the yard.)

fireinthedust

Explorer
Ok, Emral can dig it. Genasi are all about soul; firesoul, man! Alright, then, I know the first song you can do for me, but first tell me this: who's the fiery matchstick that's a sex machine for all the chicks?

fireinthedust

Explorer
"Emmett!" shouts the Finnian bobble-skull.

um, almost! He's a complicated man, and no one understands him but his new coat...

[sblock=ooc]
Did we lose Reklaw? He hasn't posted in a while.

Maybe he's waiting for a reply on the library. He did grab his stuff and head over, to identify the lenses.

I've been reading various games, btw, and the E1 game acouple boards down got me thinking about how L4W might change eventually. What will it be like if even a couple players get on to paragon or epic? Like, the modules will be separate, but in terms of landmarks in Daunton/Bacarte?
Like, what if Reklaw wanted a pass to get into the library after hours, so he can always use his background bonus? Eventually that could be a teleport badge or portable portal to the library, or to his personal tower in, like, the Astral Sea/Shadowfell.
But, what if he did something in-game that let him re-do the library itself so that players could buy an item to teleport into it? Like, if it was an extra-dimensional library or something. That would be cool.
That would change the landscape of the game, then, as the library isn't just the library, but becomes something else.

Just saying.[/sblock]

Reklaw

First Post
[sblock=FitD]Deep;) I know what you mean and I think thats one of the biggest things for me about worlds like this. I love the idea of players being able to make changes to the world.[/sblock]

[sblock=Kenhood]Yup, just patiently waiting for a library post;)[/sblock]

fireinthedust

Explorer
[sblock=FitD]Deep;) I know what you mean and I think thats one of the biggest things for me about worlds like this. I love the idea of players being able to make changes to the world.[/sblock]

[sblock=Kenhood]Yup, just patiently waiting for a library post;)[/sblock]

[sblock=heh] the funny thing is, he posts more when you lock him in a box! I vote we cut off his arms and legs and count the athletics checks he starts making :devil: (of course, knowing Ken, Drivan would find dentures of ankle-biting +10, and go after "the man")

I think it's be cool to make a mark on the setting. Do you think it'll be around long enough to get that high in level? I suppose a setting-wide event would be too difficult to moderate, but the fire seemed to affect everyone some time back. At least, people were talking about it.[/sblock]

Reklaw

First Post
Drivan peruses the shelves, occasionally getting sidetracked by other tomes of knowledge. Every now and then he asks a librarian for help but for the most part he relies on his notes from Swillwort to guide him.

[sblock=Roll]You're rolling for Drivan's history/arcana check or whatever he needs to do right Ken?[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
um, almost! He's a complicated man, and no one understands him but his new coat...
"Hmmm," ponders the Drivan bobble-skull, "It must be Drivan, because he's a complicated guy, and he did recently acquire a new outer garment."

"I concur," says the Vaunea bobble-skull, "Uh...*caff*...I mean, me think so too!"

Yup, just patiently waiting for a library post;)
*sigh* Lord, help me, but sometimes I'm not that bright...

Drivan peruses the shelves, occasionally getting sidetracked by other tomes of knowledge. Every now and then he asks a librarian for help but for the most part he relies on his notes from Swillwort to guide him.
As Drivan wanders the shelves, an imp peers around a corner and coughs for his attention. The mage follows as the little creature beckons.

The imp points with exagerrated excitement at a tome near the bottom of one shelf. Drivan examines the title, 'The Lanthorn of Diogenes'.

Opening the book, Drivan finds an illumination that appears to depict the lantern he had found in the pawn shop--assuming the lantern had not been burnt by fire, seared by acid, and blasted by force. The book describes the lantern as an ancient artifact, once possessed by Diogenes, a philosopher who made his home in the mouths of sewage drains and would occassionally pop out at night to shine his lamp in the face of passersby in the hope of finding an honest man. Unfortunately, Diogenes did discover his honest man--one of a large, violent sort, who was honestly startled by a maniac leaping out of a culvert and waving a light-source at a socially uncomfortable distance. As his life-force departed for other realms of existence, Diogenes' spirit imparted a magical essence upon the lamp, causing it to generate divine radiance when fueled with the residuum of other magical items. The book goes into additional, esoteric details about the various functions of the Lanthorn, permitting Drivan to determine that the lenses of the lantern may be used to convert elemental force into divine radiance. However, the cracked lenses will probably not be able to do so for long, and will probably shatter after two or three uses.

The imp stands back as Drivan reads. The creature radiates a smug satisfaction with its own abilities...

Remove ads