TURTLEDOME! (Battle Bone!) -- Part 2

fireinthedust

Explorer
Emral feels the coat fit like a glove, but his expression turns from glee to horror as he spots the talking skulls on the belt. His mouth twitches, open in a silent scream. His fingers twitch and all at once he grabs at the belt of the coat, scrabbling to get the buttons off, pulling the cloak off his shoulders and dropping it to the floor. The instant it's off him he leaps back, shoulders to the wall as if he's trying to hide in it.

How... how could... it was in my mind, you saw it there, that's the only way you could know... he shakes his head. After a moment he turns on Swillwort, shaken.

Swillwort, I saw... that belt. On me. But it was different. They didn't talk like that. It was... I thought I was going crazy, just after your brain changed my magic and made it all.... y'know. Swillwort, did you see it when you made the coat?! Did you see what I saw when you made the coat? Was it real? I mean, it can't be real, can it?

mohalloran

First Post
Vaunea walks up to Swillwort's door, and upon hearing the commotion, opens the door and charges up the stairs towards the sound. Upon reaching the door, the grip on her axe loosens as she seems ashamed to have barged in. "Maybe trouble. Sorry." she proclaims in her deep booming voice.

The sight of the cloak amazes Vaunea. She looks, mouth agape, at the skull belt buckle that looks oddly like her face. In shock, she stares at the robes, almost forgetting why she wanted to see Swillwort in the first place.

"Make armor?" she asks, forgoing niceties altogether. 'Vaunea know what want. Want magic armor. Vaunea get hit. Vaunea harder to hit." And, with a great deal of concentration, she begins with what she believes to be the name of this armor, "Re.....for......sing?" With a quick look, she glances at Swillwort for some recognition, and at Emral for some assistance.

[sblock=KenHood]I love the armor. And should keep you entertained during the battle when you are waiting on people to post their actions. ;)[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
"Aw, baby!" cries THE COAT! "Rejected?! What's with that, man? We was MADE for one another! You are the cat, and I am the meow! C'mon, Emral, man, I love you! How can you throw a brother down like that?!"

Little sad emoticons strobe across the crumpled surface of discarded coat.

"Man, I feel all empty inside! I gots me an Emral-sized hole in my soul, and only Emral can fill it. C'mon, baby, don't leave me on the side of the street!"

Upon reaching the door, the grip on her axe loosens as she seems ashamed to have barged in. "Maybe trouble. Sorry." she proclaims in her deep booming voice.
"No, no," says Swillwort, "It's quite all right. I used to be an adventurer myself. Barging in uninvited with weapons drawn is our idiom."

"If it's the belt buckles, baby, I can get rid of 'em. I was only makin' what you saw in your head. Man, I loooooooooOOOOOOOoooooove you! I would never hurt you, Emral!"

"Make armor?" she asks, forgoing niceties altogether. 'Vaunea know what want. Want magic armor. Vaunea get hit. Vaunea harder to hit." And, with a great deal of concentration, she begins with what she believes to be the name of this armor, "Re.....for......sing?" With a quick look, she glances at Swillwort for some recognition, and at Emral for some assistance.
"EMMMMMMMRRAAALLLLLLL!" wails THE COAT!, abandoning any semblance of dignity, "EEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMRRRAAAAALLLLLL! DOOOOON'T LEEEEEEAAAAAVE MEEEEEEEEE!"

Swillwort sighs and picks up THE COAT!

Annie appears in the door, and the enchanter gestures for her to lead Emral outside. He gently places THE COAT! in Emral's trembling hands. "Listen, my friend, sometimes an intelligent magical cloth armor item is just an intelligent magical cloth armor item. Don't make too much of it."

With that, Annie whisks Emral outside.

The enchanter turns to Vaunea and smiles. "I'm guessing that you mean 'reinforcing' armor?"

mohalloran

First Post
Vaunea nods in agreement. "Sound right. Re-for-sing. What need for armor?" Vaunea seems very excited at the opportunity to wear a wonderful new scale armor. She begins removing her current armor, ready to hand it over to Swillwort right this instant.

"Vaunea armor talk?"

weldon

Explorer
Finnian strolls in after Vaunea bursts through the door. I knew everything would be alright with Mr. Swillton, here. He can take care of himself, I say.

Finnian looks over at the robe that Annie is holding. Lemme see those little skull beads... Wow! That does look just exactly like Erlai, doesn't it?

After we get Vanns fitted out for her new outfit, are we about ready to get to the fight? Finnian pounds the new hammer in his hand. I can't wait to give this bad boy a try.

Oh! But before we do that. Mr. Swilldart, sir. I've been feeling a bit funny lately, ever since that episode here with you really and somethin' strange happened yesterday during our fight with the kidnappers. I was hoping you could take a look for me?

fireinthedust

Explorer
Annie appears in the door, and the enchanter gestures for her to lead Emral outside. He gently places THE COAT! in Emral's trembling hands. "Listen, my friend, sometimes an intelligent magical cloth armor item is just an intelligent magical cloth armor item. Don't make too much of it."

sometimes a cigar... Emral mutters vaguely.

With that, Annie whisks Emral outside.

Emral collects himself, and shrugs his arm out of Annie's hands and walks out without her help; he seems somewhat grumpy as he composes himself, and by the end he almost storms out the door.

Once out in the sunshine he lifts THE COAT! out in front of him at arm's length and stares it right in the face(s). You. Look. Fantastic. And I apologize for dropping you back there. I'm afraid our friend Mr. Swillwort hasn't managed to outdo himself in your making, more than I was prepared for. You see, just yesterday I had a... well, long story short, these four faces on the belt reminded me of something I thought was a dream, something that told me it was from my future. But if you're here, maybe you are what I saw and not... well, whatever I thought it was. Savy?

Emral nods to himself as much as to THE COAT! Let's try this again... and see what you can do! and with that he puts THE COAT! on once more, even wrapping the belt around his waist.

He lifts his hands above his head and fires off a burst of flame into the air, testing out the flow of magic and the feel of THE COAT!

[sblock=kenhood] just so you know, loved the coat; figured I'd go for a bit of RP there. Did you get that belt from the vision back when Hadarai was arguing with Marco? cool! See, I wasn't sure if that would fit in or not! woo! I mean, I was just thinking that Emral being slightly insane from all the changes had sort of faded into the background; and I like the idea of that, but the occassional haunting popping up.

[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
Vaunea nods in agreement. "Sound right. Re-for-sing. What need for armor?" Vaunea seems very excited at the opportunity to wear a wonderful new scale armor. She begins removing her current armor, ready to hand it over to Swillwort right this instant.

"Vaunea armor talk?"
"By the gods, I hope not!" says the Enchanter, "And please don't take off your armor. I need you to wear it as part of the enchantment process."

Finnian looks over at the robe that Annie is holding. Lemme see those little skull beads... Wow! That does look just exactly like Erlai, doesn't it?
Emral grumpily rushes by as Finnian speaks.

Oh! But before we do that. Mr. Swilldart, sir. I've been feeling a bit funny lately, ever since that episode here with you really and somethin' strange happened yesterday during our fight with the kidnappers. I was hoping you could take a look for me?
"One at a time, please! Annie, could you take Mr. Finnian to the examination room?"

The maid takes Finnian by the arm and leads him into the basement--which is painted a lime green, presumably to mute the splotches of blood on the walls. The ominous drain near the metal table with stick leather restraints only adds to the charm.

"I'll go get some tea for you, while you wait."

Once out in the sunshine he lifts THE COAT! out in front of him at arm's length and stares it right in the face(s). You. Look. Fantastic. And I apologize for dropping you back there. I'm afraid our friend Mr. Swillwort hasn't managed to outdo himself in your making, more than I was prepared for. You see, just yesterday I had a... well, long story short, these four faces on the belt reminded me of something I thought was a dream, something that told me it was from my future. But if you're here, maybe you are what I saw and not... well, whatever I thought it was. Savy?
"Nah, baby, nah! But all I care about is that we'll be togethah, fo-EV-ah!"

Inside, Swillwort pours the gold and residuum into a large copper bowl. He makes a circle from salt and directs Vaunea to stand in the center. In Vaunea's left hand, the wizard places a ball-tipped electrum rod. In her right, a star-tipped gold rod. He adjusts her arms into a rather awkward angle and has her stand on one leg. Then, he turns over an hour-glass. "In about an hour, once the sands run out, you'll hear a distant bell ring. At that point, your armor will be enchanted. Until then, I need you to remain perfectly still. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll tend to Finnian."

He lifts his hands above his head and fires off a burst of flame into the air, testing out the flow of magic and the feel of THE COAT!
Through the upstairs window, Vaunea sees a huge burst of flame soar for the heavens.

"We love you, Emral!" cry the tiny bobble-heads in unison.

The band cuts loose and THE COAT! sings...
Come here sister.....Emral's in the swing
He ain't too hip...about that new breed babe
He ain't no goat.
Emral's got a brand new coat!

Come here mama....and dig this crazy scene
He's not too fancy....but his line is pretty clean
He ain't no goat.
Emral's got a brand new coat!

Downstairs, Swillwort enters the examination room. "Just a moment, Finnian."

The enchanter opens a cabinet and pulls out a large, dark-stained club. "I'm not a physician, as such. However, I do have this wonderful implement that I invented several years ago, the Cudgel of Examination. It should give us a complete diagnostic of your current condition. Now, I just need you to focus on my left thumb, while I activate the item."

The enchanter holds up his thumb. As Finnian focuses on the digit, the Cudgel of Examination clocks him on the temple with numbing force. The ranger falls to the ground, smacking hard against the stone floor of the basement, then the room grows dark.

Finnian awakens to Swillwort shaking his shoulder. The enchanter holds up the club, which radiates a broad spectrum of wavering lights. Swillwort gestures the stick. "Judging from the aural resonance of the Cudgel, you appear fine to me, other than a mild concussion, but that's a common side-effect of the use of this device."

"However," says Swillwort, holding up a long canine tooth, "this tooth that came out of your mouth is rather odd and elongated for a half-elf. It's almost bestial."

"Sorry I can't provide you with anything more specific. I could hit you a few more times so the Cudgel can gather more detailed datum."

[sblock=FitD]
Did you get that belt from the vision back when Hadarai was arguing with Marco?
Huh? You wrote something about a belt with skulls? Man, that's just weird...

:p[/sblock]

[sblock=Status Updates]
  • I added Vaunea's armor to her character sheet.
  • I added Emral's armor to his character sheet.
  • Emral needs a second level feat. Implement Expertise is not permitted by the current rulings.
  • Once FitD picks out the feat, he needs to send Emral to the judges.
  • When I was checking Emral's character sheet, I re-read the sorcerer rules about damage and the effects of implements. If I applied the rules correctly, Emral should inflict a heck of a lot more damage with the Chaos Bolt secondary effects and Dragonfire Mantle.
  • Drivan needs to go to the library.
  • All characters need to go to Marco's house for the final fitting of their Dusty Quill clothing.

The party's kitty after Vaunea's armor...
  • 666 gp (started with 920 gp [includes gem], less 1 gp for Finnian, less 253 for Vaunea's armor -- gem and residuum consumed in enchantment)
  • Cloak of Distortion +1
  • Potions of Healing (x2)
  • Scroll of Disenchant Item
[/sblock]

Last edited:

mohalloran

First Post
[sblock=KenHood]I vote for more detailed datum, myself. ;)[/sblock]

Listening to Swillwort's direction, Vaunea stands still until the last bit of sand trickles out of the top of the hourglass. Then, in an attempt to make it extra reinforcing, she stands still for another 5 minutes, hoping it gives her that extra bit of oomph.

Once she is ready to move, she goes to find Swillwort.

"Hit Vaunea. Test armor." she say to the magical man in front of her, with an almost gleeful look on her face. She then braces for a blow from Swillwort.

weldon

Explorer
Finnian jumps up from the floor and snarls at Swillwort, "Whadya do that for, Swillwort? I have a mind to..." The ranger's eyes open wide at the sight of the tooth and a certain warmth radiates from the grin that has returned to his face.

If that ain't somethin. Never seen a tooth like that. And sorry 'bout snapping at you there. Carlo told me about my father's temper, musta picked up some of that from him, I guess. To be honest, I haven't been feeling myself at all. Wish you could tell me more, but I think I'll pass on getting more "dadem" from that thing you're holding. Once was enough for me.

Finnian grabs the tooth and walks back up to join the others.

Everyone, how should we split up these potions. I think Vanns and I are like to fight up front but just about everyone went down in that last fight. What should we do?

[sblock=Updates]Vaunea has some healing pills, right? Can we share those around? I don't think Finnian knows about them, so I'm asking OOC.

Also, if we have party gold left, I think a +1 enchantment on my new throwing hammer would be nice. It'd give me a ranged option w/o losing my weapon. I don't know if it's the full 360gp to enchant or the 330gp difference between mundane and enchanted cost.

Maybe there are other options we should look at? Healing items or something? Flying potions to get above the skeletons so casters don't get whacked?

Also, seems like the cloak should go to one of the casters that is likely to be a target for ranged attacks. Maybe Drivan so the cloak doesn't cover up the back of Emral's shiny new robe? :)[/sblock]

weldon

Explorer
[sblock=Consumables]nvm on the flying potion. Looked it up in Adventurer's Vault and it's pretty pricey. An augmenting whetstone (+2) is 75gp though. That would be a good option for Finnian to use on the throwing hammer. Lasts for the encounter. There are some other consumables that might make sense from the alchemist stuff. AOE things that might work well on a group of skeletons.

Did we ever get any research in on the skeletons that would give the PC's knowledge of what kinds of attacks would work well against them?[/sblock]

Remove ads