• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TUW: The Outpost

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 203: Doldrums 53: Spoils Are Spoils

Seeing that the beetles intend to flee, Maka begins gathering the beetle carcasses together, and will assist the others in carefully cleaning them and removing the carapaces and bile sacs (if any.)
Vittero joins Maka in trying to collect the useful parts of the beetles. Holding his breath, however, he kicks them away from the rotting horse corpse, first.
[sblock=Butcher]
Effectiveness:
  • Identify Animal (Collegiate Task) +
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Commercial
This active task is applied to cleaning and dissecting animals to preserve their useful parts. Generally the collection of meat is a given. This task is more specifically used when collecting hides, glands, and particular organs. (Effectiveness + d100 - difficulty = % collected).
Maka: 14(ID) + 10(eff) + 81(d100) = 105
Vittero: 16(ID) + 16(eff) + 91(d100) = 123
Carapaces: (105 + 123) / 2 - 20(rudimentary) = 94
Glands: (105 + 123) / 2 - 100(very difficult) = 14[/sblock]
GM: Working together, removing and cleaning the elytra is a very simple matter and 9 of the 10 pairs of hardened, chitinous, wing coverings are saved. The venom gland is an entirely different matter. It is difficult to even locate, much more so to remove, safely. Though 1 is collected both Maka and Vittero break others causing themselves to be inundated.

[sblock=Muddle Spittle]Beetle: 20 + 80 = 100
Maka: 14(tranquility) + 11(skepticism) + 81(d100) = 106
Vittero: 16(tranquility) + 16(skepticism) + 91(d100) = 123[/sblock]
GM: Neither succumbs to the effects.

OOC: New Collections:
Brown and Red Chitinous Elytra: 9 pair
Muddle Spittle Gland: 1

Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Adi remembers his earlier statement and picks up a beetle carcass still dripping with with bug guts and hold it at arms length, grinning, "Taylar, you'll have to cut holes in it for leather straps to hold it on your enormous head, but I think it will look good on you."

After having his laugh at whatever Taylar's response is...

Adi addresses everyone, "Speaking of our abilities, how long have you guys been able to manipulate way? I found out last year, there was a injured bird that I healed in an amount of time that didn't seem possible, I told my Da about it thats when he explained Way to me...Taylar you keep talking about vibrations, way doesn't vibrate for me. Its more like a heart beat, I sense it as it pulses in almost everything."

Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Day 203: Doldrums 53: Beating a Dead Horse, etc.

Taylar forgets the beetles for the nuisance they were. He focuses on using Way to restore his mind.
[sblock=Soothe]
Range: Touch
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Cohesion +
  • Mind + Knowledge + Persona +
  • Collegiate
Time = 1 hour[Loss/(Target Cohesion + Target Persona + Effectiveness + d100)]
By actively manipulating Way, this increases the natural rate of restoration of the loss of Mind to the intended target.
Taylar: 22(eff) + 98(d100) + 91(luck) = 211
Time: 2 hours / (3 + 211) = 1 second[/sblock]
GM: Taylar's head clears in only a second.

Kwargrow said:
After his pain has cleared he will examine the remains of the horse, claiming any teeth, hooves, and even small bones to see if they vibrate from Way.

He grins at the others and says, "Maybe one of these pieces can help us become as fast as horses ourselves. Think about it, we wouldn't have to ride anymore."
GM: After a couple of false starts, Taylar decides to hold his breath to investigate the rotting corpse.

[sblock=Sense Way]
Range: Essence + Adhesion
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Adhesion +
  • Collegiate
This active Basic task is used to determine if an item can augment the natural abilities of the possessor or if another being can manipulate way. This sensitivity provides no specifics. The result is as simple as yes or no.
Taylar: 11(eff) + 98(d100) + 91(luck) = 200[/sblock]
GM: Perhaps it due to the accelerated state of decay, but Taylar is certain that he senses nothing from the remains of the horse, but undaunted, he walks to the horse the employer loaned the group and finds that parts of a horse would provide augmentation, but he probably should kill the horse to get them.

While Taylar examines the corpse, Vittero reiterates that the horse was butchered.
"We should look around and see what evidence we can find."
[sblock=Observation]
Effectiveness:
  • Empathy (Collegiate Task)
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Commercial
This active task represents watching and listening to the immediate area to determine patterns, anomalies, or dangers. It can also be used to determine a person's intentions or motivation.
Vittero: 16(empathy) + 16(eff) + 91(d100) = 123
Unknown: 18(hide) + 69(d100) = 87[/sblock]
GM: Despite the obvious remains of the dead horse, the activity of those who butchered it is more difficult to see. After looking around for several minutes, Vittero thinks that not only was the meat saved but the skin as well. Some care and skill were taken to butcher the animal and no evidence of struggle is noticed, meaning that the horse was killed quickly or by surprise. Some evidence indicates that the people continued on toward the north by northeast.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Adi addresses everyone,
"Speaking of our abilities, how long have you guys been able to manipulate way? I found out last year, there was a injured bird that I healed in an amount of time that didn't seem possible, I told my Da about it thats when he explained Way to me...Taylar you keep talking about vibrations, way doesn't vibrate for me. Its more like a heart beat, I sense it as it pulses in almost everything."
Vittero, instead of making some off-color joke as usual, replies,
"I have been able to sense the Way lines for as long as I can remember. Several years ago, I learned that I could manipulate those lines to produce desired results. Mostly I could just make fire, but I have recently begun to try other things. Father has warned me to be very careful what I do and where I do it. Since he is a priest, it is considered a gift from The Dawn that he can heal, but he says he can do other things as well. He says that the gift should be respected and that it should be well guarded when in town, as people gossip.

He says it could prove dangerous if Thisidan officials learn of it. He fears that things are changing in the kingdom and that Weavers are being specifically identified by Thisidan soldiers. Nothing else has happened yet, but it gives him a bad premonition.

Anyway, for me it is neither a vibration or any feeling at all. It is as if the lines call to me, not like an audible sound, but like I hear it in my head. I guess for every person it may be a bit different
."

GM: Other than Vittero and Adisakti, all other members of the crew have discovered their ability to manipulate Way in the past couple of days.

Waynan

Adventurer
Raven Elk, listening to the conversation between his friends, holds his counsel. It's not that he doesn't want to share the truth of this new experience of Way. He is just unsure as to how he can explain how it affects him and the many different sensations he receives while using it for various tasks.

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Taylar listens to what the others say and when they look to him he says, "Well, that's what Way feels like to me, vibrations, like how the hammer and anvil would ring in my father's forge. A little while ago when I used my club in an attempt to drive off the beetles I could feel how my weapon was connected through the vibrations, not just when it touched the ground, but through the air as well. Is it possible that what we call life is a mass of rapidly vibrating particles so small we can't see them?"

Sylvar B.

Explorer
That's interesting. I sense Way as pulses kind of like the pulse of the water falls that turn the paddle wheels that help us mix the ingredients in my father's vats. Taylar senses them like the vibrations in his father's forge and Vittero sense that Way calls to him mentally in the way the gods call to people...I don't think it means anything special but its interesting.

Adi looks at Taylar and grins... Sometimes I think you're crazier than I am, everyone knows the world is made of Earth, Wind and Fire...and Water. Aristoplato the philosopher said so.

MacConnell

Day 203: Moving Toward the Mountains

GM: The intriguing and insightful, thought sometimes comical, conversation continues for a bit as the crew gathers their borrowed gelding and continues to follow what they think is the path that will lead them to their quarry.

The remainder of the day and the following one prove to be above normal hot with no rain and no wind. Travel is slowed somewhat due to the fatiguing nature of the weather. The topographical changes become greater with more scrub and less grass. The dry land looks parched. By late afternoon, as the party considers itself to truly be entering the mountain range, the sandiness of the soil reveal a travel path that has definitely been used by people, and further investigation reveals what is sure to be horse tracks.

Deciding that they must be close to whom they are seeking, the crew decides to travel a bit longer rather than risk making camp so close to a possible enemy. While it is still yet plenty light enough to see, the smell of smoke reaches each person. It is suspected that around the very next bend in the path lies a camp of the culprits.

OOC: In D&D monster races such as goblins, orcs, and gnolls can be encountered in the wilds. En mass, these creatures are considered malevolently hostile, and no negotiation is possible. Solitary individuals and very small groups indicate the only exception.

In TUW, there are malevolently hostile tribes of people that are commonly known by the same non-negotiating status, especially when encountering youths or young adults. These tribes are Katalian, Kaalatala, Gragorrid, Evipau, Da'Roneh, Medderin, Kinamin, Shimadow, Deviard, Nishurin, Amiradtha, and Zveddig. Of these, Da'Roneh, Kinamin, and Deviard are known to be able to manipulate Way and are termed as Blighters.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Taylar keeps his voice low as he addresses the group. "Let us not get their attention this time. I think a sneak attack is in order. If those of you who are quicker want to scout out the situation, I will wait your signal to begin the attack."

MacConnell

Vittero Responds

Taylar keeps his voice low as he addresses the group. "Let us not get their attention this time. I think a sneak attack is in order. If those of you who are quicker want to scout out the situation, I will wait your signal to begin the attack."
Vittero nods and keeping his voice low as well, replies,
"I will go up the hill to our right and see if I can get a better look from the peek while laying down in the grasses. I will not fire my bow or otherwise attempt to engage until I get back with some information. Adi, what do you say? Want to see if you can sneak a look as well?"

Remove ads