TUW: The Outpost

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Adi looks at Taylar then Vittero,
"Sneak attacks aren't as much fun, but when you're right you're right. I'll go with you, Vittero, if they have sentries posted or people patrolling it would be best not to encounter them alone."

Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka nods to Vitterro, indicating his agreement. “I will proceed along the left side with the same intent.” And without waiting for a reply, proceeds to do exactly that.

As he is sneaking toward the campsite, Maka muses to himself: ~This ability with “Way” bothers me a little; whose “ Way” is it? Is this what my father meant, when he said that the ancestors would open my eyes, and teach me to truly see? Is this how my brother was able to speak to my grandfather’s spirit? Is this “Way” the power that allows spirits to ride on the wings of the Eagles? It seems I have much to learn.~

And then, Maka puts those questions aside, as he returns his focus to the task at hand: scouting the left flank of the campsite.

Waynan

Adventurer
Raven Elk watches his friends flank the area to surveil the situation. He turns to Taylar:

"Looks like we have the center again. Kind of like old times, eh?"

Raven Elk, again, uses a reference to their younger days and the sports they played. It was a time he wasn't so in earnest about everything. The last couple of years, though --- working diligently with Ma at her labors had shown him the seriousness of study and being a constructive part of the community. And yet, since his discovery of Way lines and that he can actually manipulate them had brought on an unexpected sense of youthfulness, connection, even joy. It was the joy he didn't expect.

He was never a prankster or joker like his friends; but he loved their exuberance and joy, which is why he relished every moment he could hang out with them, even if he did screw up his face sometimes at their ofttimes ridiculous to ribald humor. Since finding his channel to Way, none of it bothered him as much, it even made him laugh inside. By the Great Father and Earth Mother, if he ever guffawed at their jokes out loud, he feared they'd think he had gone raving mad. And yet...

All the others mentioned how Way felt to them as they utilized it. It all seemed they had the same sensation no matter what they called upon Way to do or help. How could he explain that when he called on it for help or healing it felt like standing out on a cool day with the rising sun hitting you with its refulgency and its new morning warmth. Or when he called upon it for things of nature, he felt like he was being brushed with feathers or caressed by the flutter of butterfly wings. Oh, how his friends would laugh at that. They'd think he'd gone soft on them.

But, it was when he pulled on Way for battle that bothered --- and thrilled him, the most.

He could actually hear war drums, distant, but persistently beating and thrumming in the background of his senses. And the colors of war were not what he expected. He thought he would see red; but that came last after his foes, whether creature, monster or Folk, lay dead and bleeding on the ground. No, the Heart of War came to him in Greens, Purples, Blues and Blacks. It was a dark, swirling kaleidoscope around his vision that did not distract, but actually focused his attacks on his foe. What bothered him was how much he liked the sensation when he called upon Way for battle. He felt more alive then, then he did at any other time of his existence. For someone who considered himself stoic, studious, and centered, the sudden excitement of using Way for battle was, to Raven Elk, bordering on becoming a Battle-Rager, or Berserker.

And only the Great Father knew what he would experience if he used Way to summon a long dead Elder or some spirit totem.

But, these men were his friends, as dear as brothers even, he had to tell them. He would --- he knew he would; just, not yet.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 203: Look before You Leap

Adi looks at Taylar then Vittero,
"Sneak attacks aren't as much fun, but when you're right you're right. I'll go with you, Vittero, if they have sentries posted or people patrolling it would be best not to encounter them alone."
GM: The crew is faced with a blind curve in the valley they have been following. The blind curve moves sharply to the right around the nearest hill. It is around this hill that cooking can be smelled and voices can, now, be heard.

Adisakti and Vittero move farther to the right to begin climbing up the hill, kneeling in the grasses as they near the summit so as to hide their presences.

Maka nods to Vitterro, indicating his agreement.
I will proceed along the left side with the same intent.” And without waiting for a reply, proceeds to do exactly that.
GM: Moving across the valley, Maka goes farther over before ascending that hill to use it to shield is presence from the direction of the enemy.

Using more care than is necessary and the advantage of the distance, there is little chance of being noticed. All three scouts can see the same scene. There is one man and two women of the darkest coal black skin any of the crew has ever before witnessed. They are not youths, but appear to be some 5 to 7 years older than any of the crew. One woman is tending the fire, where some fresh meat is being cooked. There is a docile horse standing off to the edge of their camp, munching on grass. There is a litter-like frame upon which a large skin is stretched, drying.

Though never before seen, these people fit the known description of Nishurins, a people known to be continually hostile, though not specifically headhunters. They are all dress in a hide loin cloth, hide bracers, and hide greaves. They wear no other clothing. Each has a bow, even the woman tending the fire, and the arrows mach the ones found at the scene of the murder. The docile horse is probably the remaining of the two taken from the wagon. The Nishurins do not appear to have any specific melee weapon, indicating that in combat, they will likely try to keep moving and keep distance between them and their target.

From where Raven Elk and Taylar are waiting with the borrowed horse, it would be 130 or so paces from where the fire is placed, if following the path made by the valley. All 3 scouts returns to report their findings so that the crew can make a plan.

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Raven Elk can only shake his head at Taylar's brashness; though, sometimes, it worked. Still, Raven Elk didn't think it would be wise this time. Raven Elk, not the only tactical mind in the group but often the most vocal one, felt they needed a subtler plan.

"These, as we believe, are the one's who killed the brother and family of Liam. We do not want them to escape. We may even want to take one prisoner to pay for their crimes before a Council. But, that may not be feasible if they fight as savagely as reputation says about them." Raven Elk pauses, looking at each of his comrades as he gets ready to finish with his plan, "I think we need to surround them, completely, at the four compass points would be ideal, with two of us charging in from this spot."

Raven Elk, again, looks to each of his companions, seeing if their eyes and composure show agreement or distaste for the idea.

"I would have Taylar, our most intimidating, along with Vittero lead the charge. I would take the far side, with Adi and Maka at the flanks. But, what say you my friends. This is for all to decide. It is not a game where one is chosen the team captain and calls all the plays. I would hear alternates, gladly."

Last edited:

MacConnell

Day 203: Plan of Attack

Taylar listens to the description of the scene and says, "Only three of them? Let's rush them. I'll lead the way."
Vittero smiles and gives a quiet snort of amusement at Taylar's constant, foot forward approach to life.
Raven Elk can only shake his head at Taylar's brashness... felt they needed a subtler plan.

"These, as we believe, are the one's who killed the brother and family of Liam. We do not want them to escape... I think we need to surround them, completely, at the four compass points would be ideal, with two of us charging in from this spot... I would have Taylar, our most intimidating, along with Vittero lead the charge. I would take the far side, with Adi and Maka at the flanks. But, what say you my friends. This is for all to decide. It is not a game where one is chosen the team captain and calls all the plays. I would hear alternates, gladly."
Vittero nods.
"I like your additions to Taylar's headlong rush, but as I and Maka have bows, we would be better to flank. Adi, who fight with staff, or you with spear would be better to go alongside Taylar. Maka and I should go back to our lookout points and move in from there, firing our arrows as we go. We can give time for you or Adi, whoever is not charging with Taylar, to make way around this hill and come at them from the other side.

What say you
?"

Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Adi looks at Raven, puts his hand on his shoulder and gives him a wide grin, barely holding back a laugh...
"Good thing you aren't captaining this crew, remember that morning you had the great idea to steal a fresh loaf from the baker? You had a fool proof plan... I can still feel my father's rod on my back side."

Adi's smile fades...
"This plan however, I like... I'll attack with Taylar, you two flank with bows, and Raven attacks from the other side. They'll be trapped."

Waynan

Adventurer
Raven Elk laughs at the memory Adi recalled with a soft chuckle. Yeah, that wasn't his best plan, though he was certain it should have worked. How was he to know that a stray dog also smelled the bread and was making its own play for it. When it snarled to let Adi and Raven know this was his food, so back off, the baker spied them through the window and sent them running.

Raven Elk nods in agreement to the additions and corrections to the plan, "Alright. Give me a head start to get around to the other side, then the rest get into position. Vittero, Taylar, we wait on your signal. Agreed?"

Raven Elk then heads around the rise to the left, away from the activity around the cook fire to the campsites right. As he approaches the spot where he would be ready to close the attack or catch any runaways, he calls on Way to give him combat reflexes. He knew he was strong enough to get the job done when it came to attacks; but, It was getting tiring being hit so easily, what he wanted now was to have an edge on defense and initiative.

Now, it was just waiting on Vittero, Taylar or both, to initiate the attack.

MacConnell

Day 203: Attacking the Nashurins

Adi's smile fades...
..."This plan however, I like... I'll attack with Taylar, you two flank with bows, and Raven attacks from the other side. They'll be trapped."
GM: Giving plenty of time for Raven Elk to circumvent the hill and prepare to approach from the other side of the encampment, Maka and Vittero take up positions on opposing hills overlooking the camp.

When Taylar and Adisakti walk close enough to be seen by the Nashurins, Taylar gives a battle cry and charges forward, being the signal to attack. Raven Elk moves into his desired position from the opposite direction, while Vittero and Maka close from the hill tops, preparing to fire their bows.

Taylar and Adisakti are about 5 paces from the enemy when they charge (~30'). Raven Elk is about the same distance on the opposite side. Maka and Vittero are each about 7 paces on opposite sides left and right. The Nashurins, all unsling their bows and prepare to fire at Taylar and Adi. They have not yet noticed Raven Elk, Maka, or Vittero.

@Tellerian Hawke
Maka reacts first.

Last edited:

Remove ads