• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TWF and Monks

AGGEMAM

First Post
One of my players asked me to post this question:

PHB, page 39

A monk fighting with a one-handed weapon can make an unarmed strike as an off-hand attack, but she suffers the standard penalties for two-weapon fighting (see Table 8–2: Two- Weapon Fighting Penalties, page 125). Likewise, a monk with a weapon (other than a special monk weapon) in her off hand gets an extra attack with that weapon but suffers the usual penalties for two-weapon fighting and can’t strike with a flurry of blows (see below).

Does this paragraph mean that:

a) You can make a regular (ie not off-hand) attack with a special monk weapon and make an unarmed strike as an off-hand attack, BUT NOT VICE-VERSA.

b) As above but OR VICE-VERSA.

I ruled a).

What is your take on this.

Last edited:

RigaMortus

Explorer
I'd like to add a question of my own...

If you are wielding a Two-Handed Weapon, can you still make an unarmed attack? If I remember correctly, you don't necessarily need both hands free to do an unarmed attack as an unarmed attack can be a kick, a headbutt, and elbow or what have you. Si this correct? Do you get any negatives if you are holind a 2-H Weapon when you make an unarmed attack?

AGGEMAM

First Post
RigaMortus said:
I'd like to add a question of my own...

If you are wielding a Two-Handed Weapon, can you still make an unarmed attack? If I remember correctly, you don't necessarily need both hands free to do an unarmed attack as an unarmed attack can be a kick, a headbutt, and elbow or what have you. Si this correct? Do you get any negatives if you are holind a 2-H Weapon when you make an unarmed attack?

No. The exceptions only speak of one-handed weapons.

Snofox

First Post
b) OR vice versa

"A monk fighting with a one-handed weapon can make an unarmed strike as an off-hand attack, but she suffers the standard penalties for two-weapon fighting. Likewise, a monk with a weapon in her off hand gets an extra attack with that weapon but suffers the usual penalties for two-weapon fighting"

AGGEMAM

First Post
Snofox said:
b) OR vice versa

"A monk fighting with a one-handed weapon can make an unarmed strike as an off-hand attack, but she suffers the standard penalties for two-weapon fighting. Likewise, a monk with a weapon in her off hand gets an extra attack with that weapon but suffers the usual penalties for two-weapon fighting"

Yes, that is correct. I go back and correct the question to what it should say, namely that if he were attacking with a special monk weapon, not any (as it says now).

Snofox

First Post
heheheh

there's really not much point in a monk making an offhand attack with a monk weapon. Flurry Of Blows gives her more attacks with less pernalties.

Wolf72

Explorer
Re: heheheh

Snofox said:
there's really not much point in a monk making an offhand attack with a monk weapon. Flurry Of Blows gives her more attacks with less pernalties.

... yeah, if using a monk weapon ... allow the PC to make a choice what weapon s/he is using ... ua or weapon ...

against that rust monster you may want to roundhouse-kick it rather than slice it with your +3 kama ...

Dalin the Monk

First Post
AGGEMAM said:

No. The exceptions only speak of one-handed weapons.

Yeah, thats what I thought too.

But, from the FAQ:

If a monk wields a one-handed weapon, can he use
his unarmed damage if he kicks or headbutts someone?
Or does the monk have to actually be unarmed to get
this damage? What if the monk is armed with a two-
handed weapon?

A monk wielding a one-handed weapon (other than a
special monk weapon, see previous answer) can use the
rules for fighting with two weapons and can use his
unarmed strike as an off-hand attack, with all the
appropriate penalties (see page 39 in the Player's
Handbook). The unarmed strike is considered a light
weapon.

Although the Player's Handbook only mentions using
the unarmed attack as an off-hand attack, there's no
reason why a monk couldn't make his unarmed attack
his primary attack. In this case, the monk still must use
his (lower) armed attack rate.

If the monk wields a two-handed weapon, he can use a
kick or similar attack as an off-hand attack. This works
just like an off-hand attack made along with a one-
handed weapon attack.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Thanks Dalin.

I must get me some of that stuff the Sage is smoking.

I mean, attacking with a two-handed weapon AND off-hand attacks.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ok, thread answered.

RigaMortus

Explorer
You aren't actually attacking with the 2-H Weapon when you make your unarmed attacks, you are just holding the 2-H Weapon. So that is why I thought you wouldn't get penalized.

Remove ads