• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Twin spell, what are some good spell choices?

Scorpio616

First Post
So after this clarification... :erm:

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/10/13/twin-magic-missile/

Twin Magic Missile
OCTOBER 13, 2014ZOLTAR 2 COMMENTS
@wachunga @JeremyECrawford I'd say it's ok, but be leery for any other spells that it might cause issues with.

— Mike Mearls (@mikemearls) October 13, 2014

@mikemearls @wachunga The Twinned Spell feature is intended to work on spells that can normally target only one creature.

— Jeremy Crawford (@JeremyECrawford) October 21, 2014

What are some good choices with twin spell?

Joe Liker

First Post
Any spell that targets a single creature.

Honestly, I don't see how you can go wrong here. You're getting more bang for your slot, no matter what -- go crazy.

The limitation minimizes the possibility of exploitation, so if that's what you're looking for, I think you'll be disappointed. The feature is as powerful as it was intended to be, no more, no less.

aramis erak

Legend
Any spell that targets a single creature.

Honestly, I don't see how you can go wrong here. You're getting more bang for your slot, no matter what -- go crazy.

The limitation minimizes the possibility of exploitation, so if that's what you're looking for, I think you'll be disappointed. The feature is as powerful as it was intended to be, no more, no less.

If you have access to it, Phantasmal force... each sees the other swallowed by a cloaker...and they attack each other!

kerbarian

Explorer
Many of the best single-target spells require concentration, and I'm not sure whether you can concentrate on both instances of the spell simultaneously.
Actually, spells that require concentration are where it's likely to be strongest. You're not casting two spells, you're casting a single spell that targets two creatures (it even says "target a second creature in range with the same spell").

Spells that target a single creature and require concentration (starting with -- means it's not on the Sorcerer spell list):

Banishment*
-- Barkskin
-- Bestow Curse
Charm Person*
-- Compelled Duel
Crown of Madness
Dominate Beast
Dominate Monster
Dominate Person
Enhance Ability*
Enlarge/Reduce
-- Flesh to Stone
Fly*
Gaseous Form
Greater Invisibility
-- Guidance
Haste
-- Heroism*
-- Hex
Hold Monster*
Hold Person*
-- Hunter's Mark
Invisibility*
Levitate
-- Maze
-- Modify Memory
-- Otiluke's Reslient Sphere
-- Otto's Irresistible Dance
Phantasmal Force
-- Phantasmal Killer
Polymorph
Protection from Energy
-- Protection from Evil and Good
-- Ray of Enfeeblement
-- Resistance
-- Shield of Faith
Spider Climb
Stoneskin
Suggestion
-- Tasha's Hideous Laughter
-- True Polymorph
Witch Bolt

* can target additional creatures by increasing the slot level

Looking at that list and the ones that are on the Sorcerer spell list, the standouts for me are the Dominate spells, Greater Invisibility, Polymorph, and Stoneskin. Depending on how you play Phantasmal Force, it's also a strong contender.

LordPwnington

First Post
Cantrips work, too. I had a lot of fun playing a Draconic sorcerer that would run up in the middle of things, Shocking Grasp two guys, then run away while they can't use reactions.

Ashrym

Legend
Many of the best single-target spells require concentration, and I'm not sure whether you can concentrate on both instances of the spell simultaneously.

The sorcerer is concentrating on a single spell with multiple targets in such a case. Like Kerbarian posts, concentration spells are great choices. Polymorph, haste, and dominate monster being excellent examples.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Chromatic orb and blindness/deafness are two very great spells to twin. Chromatic orb is chaos applicable (advantage) and thus may trigger it again constantly. If you are playing wild sorcerer that is.

Remove ads