• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Two Handed Weapons in 4e

sdt

First Post
I see where versatile weapons do +1 damage when held in two hands; what about two handed weapons? Do you do more damage with two handed weapons like 1.5 your strength modifier? I couldn't find any rules for this - can somebody help me?

charlesatan

Explorer
sdt said:
I see where versatile weapons do +1 damage when held in two hands; what about two handed weapons? Do you do more damage with two handed weapons like 1.5 your strength modifier? I couldn't find any rules for this - can somebody help me?

None. The benefit is the larger damage dice and some feats (i.e. Power Attack).

sdt

First Post
So a Bastard sword does a d10+1 when used in two hands but a greatsword only does a d10. That doesn't seem to make sense to me - why not carry a longsword which would do a d8+1 the same average as a greatsword?

Cadfan

First Post
sdt said:
So a Bastard sword does a d10+1 when used in two hands but a greatsword only does a d10. That doesn't seem to make sense to me - why not carry a longsword which would do a d8+1 the same average as a greatsword?
Because when you use an encounter power that does 2[W]+Str, you get 2d10+str with the greatsword, and 2d8+1+str with the longsword. The greatsword comes out further ahead the more [W]s there are.

almagest

First Post
sdt said:
You have to keep in mind that damage isn't based on generic modifiers as much in 4e. It's based on the power you're using -- generally, weapons with more dice are better in 4e; for example, a power that does 4[W] does 4d8 with a long sword, and 8d6 with a maul.

Gloombunny

First Post
It is, however, a little weird that a bastard sword is strictly better than a greatsword even if you never use its one-handedness. It seems like greatswords got the short end of the stick this edition for whatever reason.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Gloombunny said:
It is, however, a little weird that a bastard sword is strictly better than a greatsword even if you never use its one-handedness. It seems like greatswords got the short end of the stick this edition for whatever reason.
Feat for feat, the greatsword wielder keeps up in terms of damage until you both run out of feats to take that improve damage.
At that point he probably takes the bastard sword feat.

Just think of "superior weapon proficiency:bastard sword" as:

greatsword mastery
You add +1 to damage rolls when wielding a greatsword 2-handed. In addition you may now wield your greatsword one-handed, but you do not gain this benefit.
This feat only works on greatswords that your DM chooses to allow to work in conjunction with this feat.

Now, really - is that a great feat?

Remove ads