• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two Hobbit Films???

Ranger REG

Explorer
Vocenoctum said:
If it really does expire next year, then New Line is probably in the right, IMO. Jackson's success lets him choose his own pace, but with a year to start production, new Line would probably be out of the picture. Maybe that's what Jackson wants and if they delay long enough he'll get an MGM deal out of it.
New Line is right to underpay PJ (the reason for his one-year-old lawsuit against them)? Gee, I hope your employer is as "generous" as New Line suits. :\

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/27/b...int&adxnnlx=1164668258-0iqjBjxNluuBkcJCgNgS0w

They could have settled it but they didn't.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Ranger REG said:
New Line is right to underpay PJ (the reason for his one-year-old lawsuit against them)? Gee, I hope your employer is as "generous" as New Line suits. :\
They're right in seeking to get the film made, before it's too late. The lawsuit is a seperate issue.
Thanks for the link, it at least explains what the actual suit is about. The problem with a suit like that, is trying to determine what the rights would have been worth. We can tell what money was generated now, obviously, but how much would the rights be worth before the Super Success of the trilogy?

Either way, I can't say who is really right or wrong in regards to the lawsuit, or the amount. It does seem obvious to me that New Line would want to make the film before they can't anymore. (Or at least not without renegotiating.)

Ranger REG

Explorer
Vocenoctum said:
Either way, I can't say who is really right or wrong in regards to the lawsuit, or the amount. It does seem obvious to me that New Line would want to make the film before they can't anymore. (Or at least not without renegotiating.)
The way I see it, New Line is milking the franchise as much as they can, regardless of whether or not it will ruin the experience for us intelligent fans (the kinds that don't buy into the iPod and PS3 craze). And with the expiration date looming, no doubt it will a cram or rushed job.

Klaus

First Post
In order to get a movie done before the rights expire, the production would have to be underway for quite a while (scout location, book actors, record soundtrack), otherwise it'd still be in post-production when the film rights expire. The only way New Line can get that done is to hire Uwe Boll...

:D

Taelorn76

First Post
Klaus said:
In order to get a movie done before the rights expire, the production would have to be underway for quite a while (scout location, book actors, record soundtrack), otherwise it'd still be in post-production when the film rights expire. The only way New Line can get that done is to hire Uwe Boll...

Well does the movie need to done, finished, ready for release, by the time their production rights expire, or do just have to have production started by said date?

Ranger REG

Explorer
Klaus said:

Have I wronged you in another life? Killed your son in some ancient battle?

You are just too cruel ... too cruel. Even Satan's saying, "that's a cruel joke for me to say that."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Vocenoctum said:
They're right in seeking to get the film made, before it's too late. The lawsuit is a seperate issue.

They're smart to seek to get the film made before it is too late. What is smart is not necessarily what is "right". :)

As far as Jackson is concerned, the lawsuit surely is not a separate issue. Failure to properly pay for the last job surely bears on whether you'll deal properly on the next one...

Vocenoctum

First Post
Umbran said:
They're smart to seek to get the film made before it is too late. What is smart is not necessarily what is "right". :)
they're right, within their motive/ methods. A corporation is designed to make money, they've spent money for the rights, but time is dwindling for them to see a return on that.
As far as Jackson is concerned, the lawsuit surely is not a separate issue. Failure to properly pay for the last job surely bears on whether you'll deal properly on the next one...
Right, I'm sure Jackson has every reason not to sign a new deal until the old one is settled. That said, as surely as they tried to use settling as incentive to make Hobbit, he's using Hobbit to push their hand on the settlement. In addition, he could just name his price on the new contract and they can turn it down if it's too much. I don't know that he's ready to make the movie right now anyway, and it may be to his advantage to wait for the rights to expire and make it via someone else.

Remove ads