UA: New Race Options, Eladrin and Gith

The Eladrin ability score adjustment needs to be: +2 Charisma, +1 any other. Charisma and all of its connotations [charm, innate magic, bardic song, etcetera] is what best represents the Fey Elf concept. Intelligence is an accident of D&D only having Wizard class in the beginning, but it has merit in folklore too. Dexterity is irrelevant. Maybe handsized sprites connote Dexterity, but...

The Eladrin ability score adjustment needs to be: +2 Charisma, +1 any other.

Charisma and all of its connotations [charm, innate magic, bardic song, etcetera] is what best represents the Fey Elf concept.

Intelligence is an accident of D&D only having Wizard class in the beginning, but it has merit in folklore too.

Dexterity is irrelevant.

Maybe handsized sprites connote Dexterity, but humansized spirits of magic, less so.

Edit.

Elves can work better this way:

Wood Elf: +2 Dexterity
High Elf: +2 Intelligence
Eladrin Elf: +2 Charisma

That is what the Elf feels like.

Edit.

High Elf
+2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence (!)
Trance
Investigation skill proficiency
Languages: Elven, Sylvan, and Common
Cantrip
Elven Armor (permanent Mage Armor, appears as supple chain armor or as invisible force)
High Elf Weapon Training (longsword proficiency, treat as finesse weapon and spell focus)
(Darkvision too?)

Edit.

Eladrin are a group of elves that are native to the Fey Plane. They feel like a separate race of Elf with their own four subraces. The concept of the Eladrin evolves across the editions, and their association with the four seasons seems to enjoy traction. They consolidate well into four kinds of Eladrin, each one corresponding to a season.

Eladrin Elf
• Spring: +2 Charisma, +1 Dexterity (Ghael, Coure)
• Summer: +2 Charisma, +1 Strength (Firre, Bralani)
• Autumn: +2 Charisma, +1 Intelligence (Tulani)
• Winter: +2 Charisma, +1 Wisdom (Noviere, Shiere)

Quite ok - for playtesting. I quite like the season concept that is a cool RP aid.

But - why does everybody and his mother ned access to short range teleportation?

It makes the life of a DM unnecessary difficult.

No natural obstacles anymore your monk / eladrin / warlock / gith just teleports around bars of a prison cell / out of his manacles / restrains / locked rooms up/down cliffs windows roofs etc etc yadda yadda yadda.

BAN :)

No not so funny. C'mon now, teleportation and flying is gained much to easy in this edition. That only works with certain type of campaigns with others it just does not.

Quintessence for me as a DM I houserule or restrict it if I have something in my mind which would be totally cool without those superpowers but trivial without.

Oki time I start a thread on this please discuss there.

Concerns of Level 1 Teleports aside, Eladrin have had Fey Step since at least 4E, and they need line of sight to make it work. Imprisoned eladrin can be blindfolded and handcuffed to solve that problem - low cost solution, even. Or even better, the prison in question has "Eladrin Hats" in stock - blinding cowls that get strapped and locked onto the offending Eladrin's head, for the more humane ones that want their resident eladrin to stumble headfirst into walls while trying to understand their surroundings, or in a high magic setting, the jailors have an item that imposes the blinded condition for an extended duration (a wand, collar, or something else).

Coroc

Hero
Concerns of Level 1 Teleports aside, Eladrin have had Fey Step since at least 4E, and they need line of sight to make it work. Imprisoned eladrin can be blindfolded and handcuffed to solve that problem - low cost solution, even. Or even better, the prison in question has "Eladrin Hats" in stock - blinding cowls that get strapped and locked onto the offending Eladrin's head, for the more humane ones that want their resident eladrin to stumble headfirst into walls while trying to understand their surroundings, or in a high magic setting, the jailors have an item that imposes the blinded condition for an extended duration (a wand, collar, or something else).

Nice ideas, please go to my thread on this topic which I just created, I do not want to derail this thread

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Eladrin look fun.
The idea of their magic and personality being represented by the seasons is pretty cool . . . I'm envisioning a Feywild civilization ruled by four monarchs in harmony with each other (kinda like Narnia), but where each monarch represents one of the four seasons.
LOTS of possibilities with these guys.

Yaarel

He Mage
Elves work better this way:

Wood Elf: +2 Dexterity, +1 Other
High Elf: +2 Intelligence, +1 Other
Eladrin Elf: +2 Charisma, +1 Other
Grugach Elf: +2 Strength, +1 Other

That is what the Elf feels like.

OB1

Jedi Master
Love the Gith, will plug those in as options in my home brew right away.

For the Eladrin, I like it, but my first thought was why not make the their own race and use the seasons as sub races with the option to change sub race either based on the season you are in or based on emotion. I think the concept is too limited having to be an eleven sub.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Hmmm, 2 arguably planar (sub)races.....a little more evidence that 2018's crunch book will be something about the multiverse?

I think any player who wants to play an eladrin will need a visual aid to help this poor DM remember what season the PC is in. The shifting cantrip is interesting.

Githyanki seem like a good fit for eldritch knight, who'd of thought? I kid, I kid.

It is funny, I never really thought of Githzerai rangers (given that they racial enmity towards Githyanki and mindflayers), but it was the first thing I thought of when I read their entry. With what I can vaguely remember of the underdark ranger, that could be a nasty combination in the right campaign.

clutchbone

First Post
Eladrin - choice of secondary ability, supercharged misty step (short rest instead of long) and revolving 4 cantrips? Isn't that a bit much?

Githyanki - A bit redundant to have jump and misty step. I'd give them magic weapon at 5th level instead, fits with their usual lore as arcane warriors and it'll work great with Eldritch Knights who don't normally get it.

Githzerai - With shield and +1 AC, I'd be tempted to try a monk without a racial Dex bump... but I'd probably still go wizard.

I still disapprove of the Githzerai having LN described as their preferred alignment. It's CN that's been their preferred alignment from before 3e, with only a small monastic order being lawful, as most of the Githzerai race who live in the cities in Limbo should be chaotic.

Yaarel

He Mage
Notice the Gith subraces distinguish by their +2 ability score modifiers.

The Yanki get +2 to Strength, while the Zerai get +2 to Wisdom.

The Elf races are highly different from each other, and need to likewise distinguish by +2 to their ability scores.

Eladrin Fey Elf +2 Charisma.
Wizard High Elf +2 Intelligence.
Wood Elf +2 Dexterity.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads