• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E UA Perceptive feat: Better than Observant?

Merudo

Explorer
I wonder how the new Perceptive feat compares with the old Observant feat.

Both feats increases Wisdom by +1.

Perceptive:
-Grants proficiency in Perception, and expertise if already proficient in Perception.
-No disadvantage to Perception checks in lighting obscured area.

Observant
- +5 bonus to passive Perception and passive Investigation.
- You can read lips.

Early on, Observant is definitely the better feat. However, as characters gain levels, the bonus from proficiency in Perception become larger and becomes +4 at level 9, +5 at level 13 and +6 at level 17.

For mid-high level characters, proficiency in perception is more valuable than a +5 bonus to passive investigation. Passive investigation is rarely used by most DMs, and intelligence is usually a dump stat for wisdom characters anyway.

Hence, after level 8 or so, I think Perceptive is usually the better feat.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
Observant would suck at every level if I'm your DM, since I pretty much never do passive checks of any sort. Hopefully I mention that to you before you select it :p

And Perception's really not worth much in my game anyway, so Perceptive's likely not gonna be worth it if you're looking to optimize, either.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
You are overlooking the most radical mechanic of Perceptive:
  • Being in a lightly obscured area doesn’t impose disadvantage on your Wisdom (Perception) checks if you can both see and hear.

That is a huge swing in Perceptive's favor. It negates Disadvantage. Which in turn means it can preserve Advantage.

The Common sources of "Dim Light" are:
  • Using torches to light up a dungeon.
  • Moonlight at night, or at dusk/dawn.
  • Cloudy days.
  • Using Darkvision in otherwise dark areas.

So at least half the time you are suffering from Dim Light, which means you have Disadvantage on Perception and Passive Perception (which is a -5 penalty!) during those times. But not only does Perceptive allow you to ignore that "-5" penalty, it allows you to exploit any source of Advantage you have for a boost instead of resetting things back to normal. And on top of that, it has the Expertise bonus, which will make it soar ahead of Observant in all but the most ideal of situations set up for Observant.

5ekyu

Hero
Yeah to me if perception matters at all, perceptive is off the chart better. I like the investigate idea but split ability skills in one feat is rarely good. Observant should add insight not investigate imo.

CapnZapp

Legend
I wonder how the new Perceptive feat compares with the old Observant feat.

Both feats increases Wisdom by +1.

Perceptive:
-Grants proficiency in Perception, and expertise if already proficient in Perception.
-No disadvantage to Perception checks in lighting obscured area.

Observant
- +5 bonus to passive Perception and passive Investigation.
- You can read lips.

Early on, Observant is definitely the better feat. However, as characters gain levels, the bonus from proficiency in Perception become larger and becomes +4 at level 9, +5 at level 13 and +6 at level 17.

For mid-high level characters, proficiency in perception is more valuable than a +5 bonus to passive investigation. Passive investigation is rarely used by most DMs, and intelligence is usually a dump stat for wisdom characters anyway.

Hence, after level 8 or so, I think Perceptive is usually the better feat.
On one hand you say "this depends on DMs" on the other you don't.

Why would active Perception rolls not be dependant on DMs?

If your DM has monsters actively roll for Stealth, the Observant character will spot their ambushes every time.

A high-Wisdom character proficient in Perception doesn't need to get any better if the DM is using monster stats straight out of the MM.

So the answer could well be "neither, maybe get Alert instead?"

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If you value Proficiency so highly, check out Skilled. It gives you Proficiency in Perception AND Investigation AND Insight. Or any other three Skills you’d like to have Proficiency in.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Observant:
"You gain a +5 bonus to check types that your DM won't use once he realises they are auto-successes for you
You gain the ability to do something that a reasonable DM would allow without this feat".

Horwath

Legend
Observant is better, but that is no news.

Most PHB feats are not worth to take over ASI.

From mechanical point of view only Greatweapon master, Crossbow expert, Sharpshooter, Heavy armor master, polearm master and resilient are worth the lost ASI.
But that is another topic.

Merudo

Explorer
Observant is better, but that is no news.

Most PHB feats are not worth to take over ASI.

From mechanical point of view only Greatweapon master, Crossbow expert, Sharpshooter, Heavy armor master, polearm master and resilient are worth the lost ASI.
But that is another topic.

What about War Caster & Lucky?

jgsugden

Legend
It all depends upon the DM, but I'd rather have Perceptive than Observant - but if I'm taking one, I might double down and take both.

Remove ads