• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unarmed attacks against Armed foes

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
I am a littlelost on the following rule.

The DMG details rules - when unarmed characters attack armed characters, the defender gets a free attack, which takes place before initiative. In addition, each attack by the defender receives a +4 to hit and damage bonus.

Let us reasonabilityassume that Human natural attacks are punch, kick and wrestling; however, doesthis rule apply to creatures that have natural attacks for example: animals (Tiger,Bear, etc), Trolls, Gnoll punching, etc?

Celestian

Explorer
If the creature is clawing the target's face off I'd say those qualify as natural weapons.

If they are trying to punch/wrestle then I'd say they initiate the rules you mentioned.

Last edited:

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
If the creature is clawing the target's face off I'd say those qualify as natural weapons.

If they are trying to punch/wrestle then I'd say they initiate the rules you mentioned.

Thank you very much for detailing the two different methods of "natural weapons", and puching/wrestling attacks. This does clearify some items for us.

Remove ads