• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Underwater interest (Closed)

tglassy

Adventurer
I can imagine that the Sea Elf Community would have an army.

As for a halfelf Hexblade, I’m going to say that if you have a swim speed, you know how to handle being underwater and the extra weight from your armor doesn’t hinder you that much, so don’t worry about that.

Are you going with the sea elf half elf Variant? It’s thematic, but the Gift of the Depths makes it not necessary.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I'd be up for this, too. It sounds interesting.

How are you handling the verbal components of spells (pretty much all of them). Don't know if you can talk underwater. I remember reading the Daughter of the Drow trilogy. Sea elves were a big part of that. They were fascinated with magic, because their culture had pretty much lost it. And they didn't speak underwater, but used hand signs.

When Critical Role went to the Plane of Water, I believe they handwaved it because the druid cast Water Breathing, but I think it was a thing Mercer debated about.

Anyway, what do we have?

Triton Druid
Sea Elf monk
Someone mentioned dwarf storm barbarian
I will take a look and see what I can come up with.

Ability Score rolls: 4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 3, 2, 6] = 13
4D6.HIGH(3) = [1, 5, 1, 3] = 9
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 5, 6, 1] = 14
4D6.HIGH(3) = [1, 2, 3, 3] = 8
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 4, 5, 6] = 15
4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 4, 2, 1] = 11

Not too bad.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Also, would we be able to retrap spells? Like druid's "insect cloud" becomes lots of tiny fish, rather than bugs? Mechanics all the same, but make them underwater-ish?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I'm thinking a Triton Oath of the Ancients paladin. Do we have a setting, so I know what gods to choose from? Or a list of gods, if it's homebrew?

tglassy

Adventurer
Yeah, no, you can talk underwater if you can breath underwater. Voice pitch and modulation is altered to carry through water, either magically or biologically.

I take that back, if you get it magically you sound normal, which sounds odd underwater. It you have it biologically, it sounds slightly warbled, but still understandable, as it is being carried by the water.

I’m generally ok with fluffing spells how you want.

Remove ads