• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Underwater interest (Closed)

EarlyBird

Explorer
That's what I was saying. LOL

[sblock=Kaeldos Nalorn]
Race: Triton
Class/Level: Druid 6
Alignment: Neutral Good
Size: Medium
Type (Subtype): Humanoid (triton)
Init: +2
Speed: 30ft, swim 30ft
Senses: Passive Perception: 16
Languages: Common, Primordial, Druidic
Background: Folk Hero
Ispiration: none

STATISTICS
Str 12 (+1), Dex 14 (+2) , Con 16 (+3), Int 11 (+0), Wis 16 (+3), Cha 14 (+2)

AC: 15 (leather, shield, dex)
HP: 51 (6d8 + 18) HD: 6/6 (1d8+3)
Prof. Bonus +3
Proficiencies: Light armor, medium armor, shields, (will not wear armor or use shields made of metal); clubs, daggers, darts, javelins, maces, quarterstaffs, scimitars, sickles, slings, spears
Tools: Jeweler's Tools, Vehicles (land)??
Feats: none
Saves: INT +3, WIS +6
Special Defenses: none

Combat:
TBD

Skills:
+2 (dex) Acrobatics
+6 (wis) Animal Handling*
+0 (int) Arcana
+1 (str) Athletics
+2 (cha) Deception
+0 (int) History
+3 (wis) Insight
+2 (cha) Intimidation
+0 (int) Investigation
+3 (wis) Medicine
+3 (int) Nature*
+6 (wis) Perception*
+2 (cha) Performance
+2 (cha) Persuasion
+0 (int) Religion
+2 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+2 (dex) Stealth
+6 (wis) Survival*
* proficient

Racial:
+1 STR, +1 CHA, and +1 CON
Speed: 30 feet, swim 30 feet
Amphibious: Can breath air and water
Control Air and Water: A child of the sea, you can call on the magic of elemental air and water. You can cast fog cloud with this trait. Starting at 3rd level, you can cast gust of wind with it, and starting at 5th level, you can also cast wall of water. Once you cast a spell with this trait, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Emissary of the Sea: Aquatic beasts have an extraordinary affinity with your people. You can communicate simple ideas with beasts that can breathe water. They can understand the meaning of your words, though you have no special ability to understand them in return.
Guardians of the Depths: Adapted to even the most extreme ocean depths, you have resistance to cold damage, and you ignore any of the drawbacks caused by a deep, underwater environment.
Languages: Common and Primordial

Folk Hero:
Skill Proficiencies: Animal Handling, Survival
Tool Proficiencies: One type of artisans tools and vehicles(land)
Feature (Rustic Hospitality): Since you come from the ranks of the common folk, you fit in among them with ease. You can find a place to hide, rest, or recuperate among other commoners, unless you have shown yourself to be a danger to them. They will shield you from the law or anyone else searching for you, though they will not risk their lives for you.

Druid:
-Druidic: bonus language which is a secert of the druids
-Wild Shape: 2/rest, action, CR 1/2 (no flying speed)
• Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature. If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creature's bonus instead of yours. If the creature has any legendary or lair actions, you can't use them.
• When you transform, you assume the beast's hit points and Hit Dice. When you revert to your normal form, you return to the number of hit points you had before you transformed. However, if you revert as a result of dropping to 0 hit points, any excess damage carries over to your normal form. For example, if you take 10 damage in animal form and have only 1 hit point left, you revert and take 9 damage. As long as the excess damage doesn't reduce your normal form to 0 hit points, you aren't knocked unconscious.
• You can't cast spells, and your ability to speak or take any action that requires hands is limited to the capabilities of your beast form. Transforming doesn't break your concentration on a spell you've already cast, however, or prevent you from taking actions that are part of a spell, such as call lightning, that you've already cast.
• You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can't use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense. You choose whether your equipment falls to the ground in your space, merges into your new form, or is worn by it. Worn equipment functions as normal, but the DM decides whether it is practical for the new form to wear a piece of equipment, based on the creature's shape and size. Your equipment doesn't change
size or shape to match the new form, and any equipment that the new form can't wear must either fall to the ground or merge with it. Equipment that merges with the form has no effect until you leave the form.
-Circle of the Land:
-bonus cantrip: guidance
-Natural Recovery (1/long rest), 3rd lvl (max slot), total spell level slots: 6
-Clerical Spells: note - always prepared and don't count towards maximum number of spells allowed
-???
-Land Stride: Starting at 6th level, moving through nonmagical difficult terrain costs you no extra movement. You can also pass through nonmagical plants without being slowed by them and without taking damage from them if they have thorns, spines, or a similar hazard. In addition, you have advantage on saving throws against plants that are magically created or manipulated to impede movement, such those created by the entangle spell.
-ASI: +1 CHA and WIS
-Spellcasting:
-Cantrips: frostbite, primal savagery, shape water, guidance
-Spells Prepared 9:
-Spell save DC14
-Spell attack +6
-Ritual Casting
-Spellcasting Focus: druidic focus

Magical Gear:
-Driftglobe
-potion of healing
-mystery key

Combat Gear:
Leather armor
tortise shell (wooden shield)
bident (spear)

Other Gear:
druidic focus - totem
Backpack
- bedroll
- mess kit
- tinderbox
- torches 10/10
- rations 10/10
- waterskin
- shovel
- iron pot
- jeweler's tools
- common clothes
Belt Pouch
- loose coins

Treasure:
GP: 10 SP: 00 CP: 00

Carrying Capacity: 180 lbs
Push/Drag/Lift: 360 lbs
Climb: 15' Swim: 30'
Long Jump: 12' & 6'
High Jump: 4' & 2'
Hold Breath: n/a (amphibious)

Personality:
Trait: I am committed to the people I care about, not to ideals.
Trait: I feel tremendous empathy for all those who suffer.
Ideal: My mentor gave his life to defeat the Kraken's evil plot. I can do no less to help those that need me.
Bond: I am the guardian of the Amonal Gate. I need to make sure no monsters come through from the Plane of Water to threaten this world.
Flaw: Gaining such power at a young age makes it difficult for people to take me seriously, and they still treat me as a kid.

Sex: Male
Height: 4'-7"
Weight: 102lbs
Hair Color: off-white (eggshell?)
Facial Hair: none
Eye Color: pearl
Skin Tone: light blue
Scars/Tattoos: start of tribal tattoo across right shoulder
Description: Short (and still growing) Kaeldos looks like a youngster to everyone. His wide-eyed look at anything and everything when he discovers something new doesn't help dissaude people. He wears lots of bracelets, necklaces, and other trinkets he has made himself (out of shells, beads, and other objects).

Notes:
0 Quipper
1/4 Constrictor snake
1/2 Giant sea horse
1/2 Reef shark[/sblock]

So some complications:
Vehicle's Land?? - wish to swap for a language if possible.
Good Circle for Undersea for spells? Thinking it may need to be made up.
Starting equipment? - Was starting package + 3 magical items? no gold?

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Underwater interest

I’ve done a little research on that question. Apparently, even in plate Armor there’s little you can do unarmored that you can’t do on plate, including swimming. Real plate armor was much lighter, and as perfectly form fitting as they could make it, than people, including fantasy writers, seem to believe. Now, you’d get tired more often, but that’s it.

So we’ll go by the book on this one. If you meet the strength requirement, are proficient in the armor and have a swim speed, all that together works so that you can move like you normally would. After all, half plate only weighs 40 pounds, and once I adjust, I can swim just fine with my 50 pound daughter on my back. And people who scuba dive wear about 100 lbs when they dive, with the tank and all. So no, I don’t think there needs to be any adjustment, even wearing plate, which is only 65 pounds. Still less than a scuba suit.

The thing is, under water weight is displaced. You might have a 60 lbs suit of armor on, but it should be pretty well fitted, and if you can breath underwater, you aren’t expending the energy it takes to stay afloat. So I don’t see any problems with it.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Underwater race may have a "swim bladder" organ, or an object that does the same thing, to help them achieve neutral buoyancy. I've done a *very little* bit of scuba diving, and one important piece of equipment is this sort of "inflatable belt/collar" you wear to make you neutrally buoyant - this way you can swim up *or* down with ease, even though you are carrying armor. If you are carrying more heavy gear, you inflate it more. If you are carrying less, you deflate it a little.

Underwater race may have a "swim bladder" organ, or an object that does the same thing, to help them achieve neutral buoyancy. I've done a *very little* bit of scuba diving, and one important piece of equipment is this sort of "inflatable belt/collar" you wear to make you neutrally buoyant - this way you can swim up *or* down with ease, even though you are carrying armor. If you are carrying more heavy gear, you inflate it more. If you are carrying less, you deflate it a little.

Problem is I was not planning on being a underwater race. I was going to do a half elf Hexblade and take the Gift of the Depths invocation. Since the invocation grants me a swim speed it might just magically make me buoyant as well.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Problem is I was not planning on being a underwater race. I was going to do a half elf Hexblade and take the Gift of the Depths invocation. Since the invocation grants me a swim speed it might just magically make me buoyant as well.
What I was trying to explain was my support for the handwaiving of special penalties for armor underwater for races or individuals who do a lot of underwater stuff. While it would be a challenge for the average adventurer, this could be a solved problem for the PCs and NPCs of this campaign (either through biology, magic or technology... heck you could gave a special familiar with a huge swim bladder!).

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Alright, here is my still-nameless sea elf monk. Is there a sea elf army of sorts that he used to be part of? And I'd also like to trade in that Vehicles (land) proficiency for something useful.

NG sea elf soldier monk way of shadows 6

[sblock=Basic information]
Name:
Sex: Male
Race: Elf (sea)
Class/Level: Monk 6
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: Humanoid
Languages: Common, Elvish, Aquan
Speed: 45ft., swim 45ft.
Init: +4
Prof. Bonus: +3
Passive Perception: 16

DEFENSE
AC:
Maximum HP: 45
Current HP: 45
Saves: Strength +3, Dexterity +7
Note: Deflect Missiles (reaction; reduced damage from ranged attack by 1d10+10. Catch and throw suitable projectile if damage is reduced to 0).

OFFENSE
Melee:
Unarmed strike +7 (1d6+4 bludgeoning)
Ranged: Dagger +7 (1d4+4 piercing; thrown 20/60)
Note: Extra Attack; various monk attack options

STATISTICS
Str
10 (0), Dex 19 (+4) , Con 14 (+2), Int 14 (+2), Wis 16 (+3), Cha 13 (+1)
[sblock=Stats rolled] http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=205408
ASI level 4: Dex +1, Wis +1[/sblock] [/sblock][sblock=Features & proficiencies]
RACIAL FEATURES & PROFICIENCIES
Elf (sea elf)
Ability scores: Dexterity +2, Constitution +1
Darkvision: 60 feet
Keen Senses: Proficient in Perception skill
Fey Ancestry: Advantage against being charmed and magic cannot put you to sleep.
Trance: Can trance for 4 hours instead of sleeping 8 hours.
Sea Elf Training: Proficient with spear, trident, light crossbow and net.
Child Of The Sea: Swim speed of 30 feet, and can breathe air and water.
Friend Of The Sea: Can communicate simple concepts with beasts with innate swim speed.
Languages: Common, Elvish, Aquan

BACKGROUND FEATURES & PROFICIENCIES
Soldier (scout)
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Intimidation
Tool Proficiencies: Vehicles (land), gaming set (dragon chess)
Military rank: Having served in the sea elf army as a forward scout, your rank is recognized by former comrades and you can gain entrance to friendly encampments.

Personality Traits: I am always polite and respectful. I can stare down a hellhound without flinching.
Ideal: Our lot is to lay down our lives in defense of others.
Bond: I fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.
Flaw: Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.

CLASS FEATURES & PROFICIENCIES
Monk (Way of Shadow)
Unarmored Defense: AC equals 10 + dexterity modifier + wisdom modifier while unarmored and unencumbered.
Martial Arts: Can use dexterity for attack and damage with unarmed strikes; unarmed strikes do extra damage; as a bonus action after attacking with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon, can attack one additional time.
Ki: Have ki points and can use these to power various abilities; see below.
Unarmored Movement: Speed increases by 15 feet while unarmored and unencumbered.
Shadow Arts: Can use ki points to cast spells; see below. Also know the Minor Illusion cantrip.
Deflect Missiles: As a reaction, reduce damage from ranged attack by 1d10+10. If reduced to 0 damage, can catch and throw suitable projectile.
Ability Score Increase: Dexterity +1, Wisdom +1
Slow Fall: As a reaction, reduce damage from falling by 30.
Extra Attack: Can make an extra attack each round.
Ki-empowered Strikes: Unarmed strikes are considered magical.
Shadow Step: As a bonus action, teleport from one stretch of darkness to another in sight within 60 feet, and advantage on next melee attack on your turn.

SKILLS (Proficient in bold)
+7 (dex) Acrobatics*
+3 (wis) Animal Handling
+2 (int) Arcana
+3 (str) Athletics*
+1 (cha) Deception
+2 (int) History
+3 (wis) Insight
+4 (cha) Intimidation*
+2 (int) Investigation
+3 (wis) Medicine
+2 (int) Nature
+6 (wis) Perception*
+1 (cha) Performance
+1 (cha) Persuasion
+2 (int) Religion
+4 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+7 (dex) Stealth*
+3 (wis) Survival
[/sblock][sblock=Ki]
Ki points spent: 0/6
Ki save DC: 14

Ki options:
Flurry Of Blows
, 1 ki point, bonus action: Two unarmed strikes after attacking with unarmed or monk weapon.
Patient Defense, 1 ki point, bonus action: Dodge.
Step Of The Wind, 1 ki point, bonus action: Disengage or Dash, double jump distance.
Stunning Strike, 1 ki point, part of attack action: Target makes Constitution save or be stunned.
Shadow Arts, 2 ki points, action: Cast Darkness, Darkvision, Pass Without Trace, or Silence.

Cantrip known: Minor Illusion (Shadow Arts; DC 14)
[/sblock][sblock=Appearance & bio]
PHYSICAL APPEARANCE
t.b.d.

BIO
t.b.d.
[/sblock][sblock=Inventory]
COMBAT GEAR
t.b.d.

OTHER GEAR
t.b.d.

MONEY
t.b.d.[/sblock]