Undine the Sea

Ximix

First Post
After years of Arcane and Religious study, Ximix realizes he knows something that may be helpful, quickly addressing the group spokesperson, he whispers,
[sblock=OOC: ] Heh, not even really sure who the official spokesperson is, and for that matter I'm only hopeful that this wonderful roll on Knowledge: Religion ( 25! ) will in fact be useful. I was thinking that with such a great roll, Ximix may have some insight on how to formally greet and treat with the followers of Galatea? I thought it would be worth a shot :) [/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Ximix]Ximix knows:

Galatea is an ancient goddess composed entirely of water. Her true form is completely liquid, though she often shapes herself in the form of a female entity made of water. She also enjoys taking the shape of a dolphin, a mermaid, a sea elf, a human, or an elf, always female. Her form shifts fluidly like the water of which she is made.

Galatea promotes peace among intelligent beings, and her texts teach tolerance of those who are different. The sacred texts hearken back to long ago, when they claim that there was no land on ENWorld, and everything was water. Then when land appeared, creatures began to learn how to walk on land and changed, all from a common source in the water. Even later, some land animals returned to the water and became dolphins. Because they are such perfect examples of Galatea's philosophy, the dolphins are her favourite from among her many animal friends. Galatea also points out that all living creatures share the fact that they are mostly composed of water, and so the water within us all forms a bond of kinship and harmony.

Galatea's clerics are more likely to be diplomats or healers than warriors, but some strive to defeat unnatural beings, which Galatea believes are blights in a land of peace. She particularly despises aberrations, the twisted forms of what were once beautiful creatures, and so she cannot stand Ahrianna. She also considers undead to be an abomination, though to a lesser extent than aberrations, but her clerics are not afraid to destroy those lifeless menaces. She is very close to her son Delanor, and she is cordial to her granddaughter Shurassa despite their opposing influence on water.

Temples of Galatea on the land are often positioned above healing springs, as these are seen to perfectly emphasise Galatea's soothing influence, and the clerics there are often skilled masseuses. Underwater, temples are often built in spots where there is natural sunlight, as the clerics enjoy the beauty of the sunrise.[/SBLOCK]

Ximix

First Post
[sblock=OOC: ] Would Ximix also know anything about customs or traditions among or interaction with clergy of Galatea? Greetings, offerings... etc? Basically I'm looking for an edge in making a good first impression :O) [/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Ximix]Ximix basically studied texts on mythography, important holidays and rituals, and the like. If this particular temple has greetings they sometimes use, it would probably best be covered by Bardic Knowledge, Knowledge Local, or Knowledge Religion for a Cleric of Galatea. As is my usual policy for Knowledge checks, I'll allow it to fall under Knowledge Religion at an increased DC (So it might be DC 20 Knowledge Local but higher for Religion, etc). I'm always happy when players make Knowledge checks though--here's what he knows about offerings and ceremonies:

Galatea's Clerics do not like animal sacrifices of any kind. Of great interest to them would be a new species of plant or animal (magical or mundane, but without killing it to bring it in of course) that they have never documented before, particularly an aquatic one, but any would work--Clerics of Galatea are big proponents of evolution, a strong order that produces constant change, particularly in the lifeforms of ENWorld. They are also interested in water-based objects or rare and enchanted waters of various sorts, including pure Elemental Water. Their highest holiday is a sporadic one called Terpsinaia that takes place on the night of each lunar eclipse. It is said that on Terpsinaia, Galatea descends to the mortal realm to dance under the stars, and she shifts the tides of fate to change destiny towards a benevolent end. Some early myths claim that in so doing, she battles a primal goddess of darkness who has stolen the moon and fights for its return.[/SBLOCK]

Amaury

First Post
On the Sea Dog, Jallembo tries to befriend somewhat the most amicable crew members but this doesn't lead very far.

Upon the island, Jallembo is surprised at the temple building materials as he has never seen such a building. As he notices the elf acolyte, he whispers: "I don't know much about this goddess and her followers but the place looks rather nice and welcoming. It's a good sign.. Let's be cautious in our approach though.. " but he doesn't make the first move.

[sblock=DM]Jallembo has still not been approved to L3. i sent a request to b4ddynock as well. should i try another Judge?[/sblock]

Heckler

First Post
Before approaching, Babette will quietly address the party, "Remember, everyone, don't say anything to the clerics about you-know-what."

Turning to the acolyte Babette will call out an appropriate greeting in elvish before switching to Common, "I am Babette Delacroix, from Orussus. My friends and I are looking to travel to Amalthea. We've heard its such a wonderful and beautiful experience, I do hope we've come to the right place."

Rystil Arden

First Post
In Elven: -Peace shelter your heart as the tide has carried you in the Goddess's embrace.-

"You are...you wish to visit Amalthea? Would you come with me? I can take you to a priestess."

Heckler

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
In Elven: -Peace shelter your heart as the tide has carried you in the Goddess's embrace.-

"You are...you wish to visit Amalthea? Would you come with me? I can take you to a priestess."
"Yes, that would be wonderful, thank you. This is all quite beautiful," Babette adds, refering to the temple.

Rystil Arden

First Post
"The Goddess teaches us to find beauty in the patterns of change," the acolyte explains, "Please follow me."

*She bows slightly and leads onward into the temple.*

Remove ads