Undine the Sea

Ximix

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
"... But the real coup de grace will be that it is immune to Divinations. So if you see something that looks like the Shard, just try some Divinations and see if they fail."

Ximix nods his head sagely, as though this makes perfect sense to him. Whether or not it really does is anyones guess...
The Elven priest will follow along to the docks, his necessary gear all gathered for the trip. Anytime there is a stop he resumes his conversation with Nura, which seems to revolve around the nature of magic...

[sblock=Nura and any paying attention: ]Ximix is really excited about magic. It is the one subject he has shown any emotion towards, much moreso in fact than his own defense earlier. He will begin by asking your opinion on Magical Sources and the flow magical energies related to arcane spells and divine 'prayers'... Essentially Ximix is convinced there is some 'root source' and that such a source may in fact be a living entity... he believes that his diety, Gliran, is in fact a representative of this entity, rather than the source itself... [/sblock]

Dargon

First Post
"Well I hope they have something that can keep my spell book waterproof. If not I am afraid my help will be limited. As to the danger of a dispel, whoever is send on this mission will be in that danger, someone must do this and I will. anyway
Should we just ask them for the shard? Do they know what it is? And do we get som prof as to who we are and why we want it? or should we expect that we will have to steal it? "

[Sblock= On the issue of magic]
She is as interested in the subject as Ximix. And it is like everything around her seems to be gone when they are on the subject.
Nura doesn’t favour any theories on the origin of magic but what she seams to enjoy is to bring them up and discuss any weaknesses and strengths of each theory, and ximix or anyone elses coments.
"…I take it that you have heard of the elemental towers. I don not unlike some believe that they are the source of magic. My reason is that it is that not all spells fall under the influences of one or another tower. I find it far more likely that they are nexuses for certain types of magic.
I have heard some interesting theories on magic, and one of them supports some data’s I have gathered recently. According to this magic is an energy around us and in us, it is the fabric of reality. It is everywhere like the air on land and the water in the ocean. When we use magic we manipulate reality, and forms what we desire. The difference between divine and arcane magic is that the arcane caster learn to manipulate reality and the divine caster is having a deity doing the manipulation. And as to the origin of it is would mean magic does not come from anywhere or anyone but everything else comes from magic. But there is still things that points to this theory as being untrue."

OoC: I take it that there is no fixed ENWORLD rule on where magic comes from and what it is
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Spellbooks can be waterproofed and fireproofed against mundane nonmagical forms of those hazards by a mundane nonmagical process. I had thought most Wizards still do that nowadays--we certainly do so at the Academy. Still, while I know that our waterproofing would keep a spellbook safe underwater if it remained closed, it's true that opening it up can be an issue. If you also have a waterproof cover and bindings, what you might want to do is rise to the surface each day to prepare spells."

"As for the merfolk, I'm not really sure what we can do. It isn't clear how much of the information they have passed on as general knowledge. You're going to have to refine your strategy on the fly. Is that something your group can handle?"

covaithe

Explorer
"Is there any such way of preserving armor and weapons underwater?" Corvinus asks. "With luck, this mission may be peaceful, but it would be well to be prepared for anything."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"I think that in general weapons and armour are fine after a dip underwater, at least the ones that have been rustproofed, but then, I've never really tested that, as I'm not a warrior myself."

(OOC: At least, the DMG seems to allow them to be taken underwater)

Heckler

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
"Spellbooks can be waterproofed and fireproofed against mundane nonmagical forms of those hazards by a mundane nonmagical process. I had thought most Wizards still do that nowadays--we certainly do so at the Academy. Still, while I know that our waterproofing would keep a spellbook safe underwater if it remained closed, it's true that opening it up can be an issue. If you also have a waterproof cover and bindings, what you might want to do is rise to the surface each day to prepare spells."
ooc: Really? Are there actual rules for this? I just made a quick search and came up empty. And could the same process be applied to scrolls? (assuming we even have time.)

[sblock=On the Issue of Magic]Babette is also interested in the magic discussion. While she has a good understanding of the basics, it is clear (at least to Nura and Ximix) that she has no formal education on the subject. Her knowledge of the higher forms of arcana are spotty at best. She is pleasant in conversation, though, adding what knowledge she does have and trying to learn what she doesn't. She has no theories on the origins of magic beyond some fanciful family stories about dragon bloodlines.[/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: I don't see any rules for this in the SRD or the PH. In previous editions, they did have rules and costs for waterproofing and fireproofing spellbooks, and pretty much all Wizards paid for them. Since 3.X has free spellbooks and no listed cost for this, I suppose we might assume it comes for free with a spellbook? Dunno)

[SBLOCK=Magic]*Alicia has clearly dabbled in arcane lore, if not any useful magic, and she knows a smattering of different related stories, theories, and crazy rumours that she has heard over the years as well.*[/SBLOCK]

Heckler

First Post
(ooc: I'm pretty sure there's rules for it in Comp. Arc., but that's not core so I wasn't sure how well that fit in around here.)

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: New feats and spells and such from those books we don't allow, but the use of variant rules for random terrains that the DMG doesn't cover seem fair game if they can help us stay consistent throughout our living world (similarly, desert rules for sunburn and exhaustion and such from Sandstorm seem like they could always be used). )

Heckler

First Post
[sblock=ooc]So here's what Complete Arcane has to say, FWIW:

Alternate Item Types pgs. 137-139
Gives ideas for alternate ways to manage potions and scrolls, some of which could be used underwater. The party probably doesn't have the time or resources to take advantage of this, but it could give RA some interesting ideas.

Spellbook Construction p.140
"The pages of most spellbooks have been treated for durability and protection against fire, mold, water, parasites, staining, and other hazards."

"All fine books can be purchased with a waterproof double slipcase of chased and tooled leather, strong enough to protect against driving rain or burial in snow but not against prolonged immersion."

A slipcase adds +1 pound, +1 hardness, +1 HP and +20 GP to the cost of a spellbook.

Protecting Spellbooks pgs. 140-141
"Magical Protection can add thousands of gold pieces to the cost of even the simplest tome. Some of the more common spellbook defences include the following."
Waterproofing
The book is impervious to damage caused by immersion in or exposure to water.
Faint abjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, endure elements; Price +1000 gp.[/sblock]

Remove ads