• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Travelers of the Multiverse

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/travelers-multiverse Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.45.04 PM.png

Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

Brodie

Explorer
The Astral Elf and Autognome sound A LOT like the Void Elf and Mechagnome races in World of Warcraft. I get that these races might be Spelljammer related, but to me - a WoW player - it just seems like WOTC ripping off the game.

That said... I'll be folding those two races into my current campaign (which I originally based on WoW lore).

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
The Astral Elf and Autognome sound A LOT like the Void Elf and Mechagnome races in World of Warcraft. I get that these races might be Spelljammer related, but to me - a WoW player - it just seems like WOTC ripping off the game.

That said... I'll be folding those two races into my current campaign (which I originally based on WoW lore).

What, D&D ripping off WoW? Funny, I thought that WoW ripped off Warhammer, which ripped off D&D...

We really shouldn't accuse anyone of plagiarism, because the most famous properties have blatant influences from earlier, less famous properties. Or just LotR.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter

Nah, the reverse, the videogame industry rpg/MMO have been ripping off the lore of D&D for decades.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't know... the bigger the damage die, the less probable it is to roll a 1, the smaller the die, less damage you will do it at average... At the same time, the elf gets (almost) deathward, the thri-kreen gets to be a dual wielder with a shiel (light weapon and shiled in the main hands and light weapon on the smaller hand) all while having a free hand for casting, and the ooze has.... a lot.
The Ooze has a lot...of Ribbons.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
My take from someone that knows almost nothing about spelljammer and planescape:

Sigil seems to be a big deal, I doubt they wouldn't mention it in a planar book. At the same time, the sailing aspect and connectivity of spelljammer seems to fit well with stabilished lore of 5e. MAybe they will merge this and other stuff in to one big book?
All due respect, that's like saying that Star Trek and Magnum P. I. should be mixed together because both feature ships (water boats, star vessels, both shops, right?).

Spelljammer is not an interplanetary Setting at all: it's all in the Prime Material, just the outer space parts.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Pretty sure the Trance ability (4 hour long rest) is the norm for ALL elves that trance. can't remember where I saw that it's official, but pretty sure it is.

In this UA it's even MORE different - Autognomes have a 6 hour long rest (sentry's rest).

Edit: Found at least one Source. It's on page 2.

Wow, that change is awful.

It should be a ribbon and not a potentially game changing ability. While not common, there are going to be times when the party can rest for 4 hours and not 8. Or they have their long rest interrupted half way through. Now the Elf character has gotten a long rest but the rest of the party hasn't. That's just not fun. I don't see how this improves the game in any way.

They changed it in 2017. Here is the pre-2017 Sage Advice:

Does the Trance trait allow an elf to finish a long rest in 4 hours? The intent is no. The Trance trait does let an elf meditate for 4 hours and then feel the way a human does after sleeping for 8 hours, but that isn’t intended to shorten an elf’s long rest. A long rest is a period of relaxation that is at least 8 hours long. It can contain sleep, reading, talking, eating, and other restful activity. Standing watch is even possible during it, but for no more than 2 hours; maintaining heightened vigilance any longer than that isn’t restful. In short, a long rest and sleep aren’t the same thing; you can sleep when you’re not taking a long rest, and you can take a long rest and not sleep.

Here’s what this all means for an elf. An elf can spend 4 hours in a trance during a long rest and then has 4 additional hours of light activity. While an elf’s companions are snoozing, the elf can be awake and engaged in a variety of activities, including carving a lovely trinket, composing a sonnet, reading a tome of ancient lore, attempting to remember something experienced centuries before, and keeping an eye out for danger. The Trance trait is, ultimately, meant to highlight the otherworldly character of elves, not to give them an edge in the game.

That all said, if you’re the DM and you decide to let Trance shorten an elf’s long rest, you’re not going to break the game. You are making a world-building choice if you do so. You’re deciding that elves, on a global scale, are ready to reenter a ght before anyone else, that they heal faster than most humanoids, and that they regain their magical energy faster. Such a choice would make sense in a world where elves are the dominant race, where they not only live longer than others, but also recover faster.

You missed my point that they could change the lore on that and make them a single subrace.

Edit: or make them the subrace that is in charge and recruits the others.

Possibly, but that would require a major Lore change.

I think either the Astral Elf is for Planescape OR they are merging Spelljammer and Planescape, in the sense that like Nautiliods, other Spelljammers will be able to shift between planes, which will majorly change the cosmology of the Great Wheel.

Remove ads

Remove ads