Unorthodox modern goths? How about a RPG on Subcultures instead?

WhatGravitas

Explorer
MaxKaladin said:
I'm obviously out of the loop.

I thought I knew what a 'goth' was, but when my teenage niece showed up for Christmas dressed like a goth, she haughtily informed me she was 'emo'. Evidently being 'emo' involves boys wearing girl's pants because she proceeded to have a long conversation with my nephew about it and whether boys at their respective schools do it or not. Said nephew does not wear girl's pants and is evidently not an emo, but he does wear his pants halfway down his butt with his underwear sticking out. I have no idea what subculture that's supposed to be. Based on this limited evidence, I can only conclude that your pants and how you wear them determine your subculture now.
Seriously, don't feel old or that much out of the loop. I'm one of the youngin's here (1987), and until the mid-2006, I've never even heard anything about emos. I've took them as goth. Until teh Intarnetz accidentally told me what an emo is.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
MaxKaladin said:
I'm obviously out of the loop.

I thought I knew what a 'goth' was, but when my teenage niece showed up for Christmas dressed like a goth, she haughtily informed me she was 'emo'. Evidently being 'emo' involves boys wearing girl's pants because she proceeded to have a long conversation with my nephew about it and whether boys at their respective schools do it or not. Said nephew does not wear girl's pants and is evidently not an emo, but he does wear his pants halfway down his butt with his underwear sticking out. I have no idea what subculture that's supposed to be. Based on this limited evidence, I can only conclude that your pants and how you wear them determine your subculture now.

I love emos.. in the thank god you are around because now goths aren't the butt of every joke sort of way. Sad thing is that emos stole the goth look (at least the punk inspired tight pants, black clothing and hair styles) and half of the goth stereotype.

I *think* your nephew is one of those skater-emo-punk hybrids. The saggy-jeans is the give-away (emos goths and most punks don't wear sagging pants, but skaters do).

Last edited:

MaxKaladin

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
Seriously, don't feel old or that much out of the loop.
Oh, I don't really. This is a case of the internet being a clumsy means of communications. I'm mostly being lighthearted -- even if I don't know what most of those things in the OP are.

Lord Tirian said:
I'm one of the youngin's here (1987), and until the mid-2006, I've never even heard anything about emos. I've took them as goth. Until teh Intarnetz accidentally told me what an emo is.
Well, the Christmas conversation was in 2005 so that's when I heard of them. Most of the rest of the OP is jibberish to me. I've heard of most of the "base classes" but the PrCs are just so many random letters to me. Then again, "heard of" only implies that I've heard the names and am not necessarily sure what being a "emo" or whatever is all about.

Come to think of it, I generally hear the word "emo" used as an insult. As in: "That's so emo!" or something like that.

Max "I can remember adults complaining about 'those d*** hippies'" Kaladin

Last edited:

MaxKaladin

First Post
Relique du Madde said:
I love emos.. in the thank god you are around because now goths aren't the butt of every joke sort of way. Sad thing is that emos stole the goth look (at least the punk inspired tight pants, black clothing and hair styles) and half of the goth stereotype.
That's evidently what threw me off. My niece was wearing black, had black nail polish and generally looked "goth" and I said something about becoming a goth and she got kinda huffy and informed me she was an "emo".

Relique du Madde said:
I *think* your nephew is one of those skater-emo-punk hybrids. The saggy-jeans is the give-away (emos goths and most punks don't wear sagging pants, but skaters do).
I think he has a skateboard but he's mostly worried about cars with extra bits of shiny metal they don't need and neon lights underneath and he listens to that M&M guy's music.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
hong said:
Be a rebel! Reject the cultural tyranny of pants! Wear none!

Real Men Wear Skirts!

- Tonguez owns 2 kilts, a 'grass skirt' and 7 maro (mix of lavalava and pareu styles)

however I have never worn a frock :\

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Alzrius said:
Gothic lolitas! :D

The scare thing about gothic lolitas are that I've seen several which were a few accessories away from looking like a "gothic clown (all they needed was a clown nose and big floppy shoes)."

Oh man... given the book titles that were posted earlier.... ::shudder::

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Tonguez said:
- Tonguez owns 2 kilts,

"Hey man, you're wearing a skirt!"
"That's not a skirt, it's a kilt!"
"That surely is a skirt"
"No, it's not."
"Dude, it's pink and has bunny stickers sewn on!"
"It's a pretty kilt!"

;)