• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unusual Sandwiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I used some ham nd mozzarella I had left over from making some mini-meatloaves and made some open faced sandwiches.

I sliced open 2 petit pain- essentially, French breads a little bigger than a dinner roll- and toasted them. A little butter, 30sec in the microwave to warm the ham and melt the mozz, and a squirt of mustard later, I was eating some pretty decadent little morsels.

I briefly considered just hollowing out a hole and stuffing the ham & mozz and making something akin to a kolache, but I decided the open face route was actually easier. Probably saved me a few calories by helping me visually control the amount of butter I used…
FWIW, here they are:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tonight I did a variant on a catfish po’boy using naan instead of French. I spiced it up with some green onion and cocktail sauce as well.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The continuing efforts to keep my cholesterol down have me eating egg on jalapeno bagel instead of sausage, egg, and cheese on it. It's not nearly as uplifting of a way to start the day (hopefully it's buying me better days in the decades to come).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
@Cadence

Eating healthier doesn’t have to mean eating “blah”. It may just require a little more thought & effort. You might try adding other flavorful additives to the mix.

1) I personally add radish, onion or garlic sprouts to a lot of things these days.

2) A sliced tomato from one of the stronger-flavored varieties might help. I have been buying both San Marzanos and Camparis in large numbers for the past few years. I prefer the latter ones raw.

2a) a tasty tomato sauce might work well, too. Big fan of several Dave’s Gourmet flavors. That would send you kind of down the road to a shakshouka sandwich- you’d just need to add a couple extra spices to the mix.

3) a homemade sandwich dressing could help. A Dijon or spicy brown mustard vinaigrette withet EVOO and an array of spices could liven things up considerably.

4) pickled veggies can pack an outsized flavor punch. In my pantry, besides olives and your standard pickled cucumbers, we typically have pickled turnips, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, onions, cauliflower, peppers (mild AND hot), sauerkraut, and giardineria.

4a) classic muffulettas- and sandwiches that evolved from them, like the Schlotzky’s Original- are topped with giardineria or other mix of a bunch of marinated/pickled veggies. Mixes like this- both savory and sweet- are available in most groceries. You can even make your own. Make a spicy one, and maybe you can use a different kind of bagel!

5) Sauerkraut, Kimchi and coleslaws can make for a nice sandwich topping. Personally, I’m just now beginning to explore this myself beyond the boundaries of classic Reubens. But a couple weeks ago, I had a sloppy joe variant with a coleslaw, made by a guy who teaches sandwich making at a culinary school. I was skeptical, but 2 bites in, I was a believer.

So, in your case, you’d want to think about what flavors you like with eggs.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
@Cadence

Eating healthier doesn’t have to mean eating “blah”. It may just require a little more thought & effort. You might try adding other flavorful additives to the mix.

1) I personally add radish, onion or garlic sprouts to a lot of things these days.

2) A sliced tomato from one of the stronger-flavored varieties might help. I have been buying both San Marzanos and Camparis in large numbers for the past few years. I prefer the latter ones raw.

2a) a tasty tomato sauce might work well, too. Big fan of several Dave’s Gourmet flavors. That would send you kind of down the road to a shakshouka sandwich- you’d just need to add a couple extra spices to the mix.

3) a homemade sandwich dressing could help. A Dijon or spicy brown mustard vinaigrette withet EVOO and an array of spices could liven things up considerably.

4) pickled veggies can pack an outsized flavor punch. In my pantry, besides olives and your standard pickled cucumbers, we typically have pickled turnips, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, onions, cauliflower, peppers (mild AND hot), sauerkraut, and giardineria.

4a) classic muffulettas- and sandwiches that evolved from them, like the Schlotzky’s Original- are topped with giardineria or other mix of a bunch of marinated/pickled veggies. Mixes like this- both savory and sweet- are available in most groceries. You can even make your own. Make a spicy one, and maybe you can use a different kind of bagel!

5) Sauerkraut, Kimchi and coleslaws can make for a nice sandwich topping. Personally, I’m just now beginning to explore this myself beyond the boundaries of classic Reubens. But a couple weeks ago, I had a sloppy joe variant with a coleslaw, made by a guy who teaches sandwich making at a culinary school. I was skeptical, but 2 bites in, I was a believer.

So, in your case, you’d want to think about what flavors you like with eggs.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Thr one with sausage and pepperjack has been my go to for years at the local bagel place... so I just need to get out of my rut!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Thanks for the thoughts!

Thr one with sausage and pepperjack has been my go to for years at the local bagel place... so I just need to get out of my rut!
I feel ya!

I started cooking at age 7. I was pretty good by my late teens. I got damn good by my mid-30s. Then Mom got a diabetes diagnosis, and I got a diagnosis of extreme sodium dependent hypertension. Arund that time, other family & friends started revealing health, religious and other reasons for avo certain foods or preparation methods.

Since then, a good part of my time seriously thinking about cooking has involved rethinking recipes. I make no claims to being anything more than a good home cook, but I think I’ve done pretty well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
@Cadence

It just occurred to me that I was hideously blundered when I posted this. I focused on Italian/African tomato sauces, despite being a big fan of Tex-Mex as well! We eat eggs with salsas and pico de gallo down here all the time. Mexico cuisine also has tomatillo sauce.

And other Central & South American cuisines have their own salsas that you might dig. My favorite local Columbian place serves something called aji with almost everything- it is kind of like a mild pico de gallo with a more vinegary flavor, and they put it on or in all kinds of savory and sweet dishes. (They also have a spicy version, with jalapeños.)

(As I recall, my local’s take is mostly tomatoes, onions, cilantro, garlic, oil, vinegar and water.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Another option:

I often make “egg patties” that are essentially little round egg pancakes. I make an omelette mix (2-4 eggs) with all my favorite seasonings*, then make pancake-sized patties (using silicone rings to keep them little & round). One batch of the batter will make a whole bunch of them.

They’re tasty, can be refrigerated or frozen, and reheat pretty quickly in a microwave, toaster oven or pan.

* typically chives, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, salt black & cayenne pepper, or a commercial seasoning mix like Mrs. Dash, Season-All or Tony Chachere’s.

MGibster

Legend
The Monte Cristo sandwich is a little piece of heaven. It's a ham, turkey, and cheese sandwich that is batter dipped, deep fried, powdered with sugar, and served with raspberry preserves. You know, health food. There were two places in my area that had this on the menu and one of them recently closed for good. The other restaurant has an okay Monte Cristo, but the rest of their menu sucks so I can't take my wife there. Sadly, I don't know when I'll get to have a Monte Cristo again.

Monte.JPG

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Another option:

I often make “egg patties” that are essentially little round egg pancakes. I make an omelette mix (2-4 eggs) with all my favorite seasonings*, then make pancake-sized patties (using silicone rings to keep them little & round). One batch of the batter will make a whole bunch of them.

They’re tasty, can be refrigerated or frozen, and reheat pretty quickly in a microwave, toaster oven or pan.

* typically chives, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, salt black & cayenne pepper, or a commercial seasoning mix like Mrs. Dash, Season-All or Tony Chachere’s.
No joke: after posting that tonight, I turned on an episode of America’s Test Kitchen while I did a little kitchen cleaning. (Tomorrow is garbage day.)

Lo and behold! The first recipe is a baked egg, avocado and kimchi sandwich!

If I were making some version of this, I’d definitely season my eggs a bit more. (Because, Creole.)

Remove ads