Unusual Sandwiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The BJT on sourdough

Took my aunt to a party at a Tex-Mex joint. The honoree ordered some bacon-wrapped, cheese (not sure what kind- possibly Monterrey Jack?) stuffed jalapeños as an appetizer, but found them too spicy, even with ranch dressing. They weren’t the spiciest I’ve ever had, but they DID bring notable heat. I was fine with them, so I took them home.

I decided to try them in a variation on a classic BLT. I toasted some sourdough while heating the jalapeños in the microwave. The toast got mayo and 4 tomato slices. I cut the jalapeños lengthwise and added them.

All in all, this was a winner. As expected, the mayo tamed the heat, but the toast & tomato also tamped down the pepper’s punch. The heat that some found too intense was diffused into a warmth throughout the sandwich.

Would do this again…and I have 2 jalapeños left!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It’s Lent, the season of repentance for Christians of most denominations, and also of subpar fish sandwiches from all kinds of chain restaurants. So I’m always looking for better options.

Even though it’s NOT a Friday (when we abstain from meat during Lent), I just tried having some fried catfish on pita with tabouli. The pita was leftover from a Mediterranean meal we had last night. The tabouli came from a vendor at our local Farmers’ Market. The catfish was from a fast food place where I had been asked to get dinner from tonight.

Caveats:

1) the catfish itself was not as good as I’d get from other places I frequent, but it was competently done. Definitely good enough for a sandwich of some kind.

2) the pita was starting to go slightly stale. Still edible at room temp, but it would have been better had it gone in the toaster oven for a minute or so.

That said the results were pretty good- at LEAST as good if not better than most fast food fish sandwiches. I might have this again tomorrow night- they sell sizable fillets.

Fish from a better restaurant would improve the results, but TBH, the breading + pita is too “bready”. Grilled fillets would be better. Also fresher bread wouldn’t hurt. Different breads would too- a nice French, sourdough, or onion roll would kill!

Since I don't think I've posted this one, I'll share the sandwich that Mrs. Shiverstone and I have been having regularly the past few months: the Power House sandwich.

1. Two slices of think whole grain bread.
2. Mayo on slices.
3. Sprinkle Spike! seasoning thickly on mayo.
4. Three slices of Havarti or Muenster cheese (or go crazy and mix them!) on one slice of bread.
5. One or two thick slices of tomato (ideally, heirloom tomato) on top of the cheese. You want it edge to edge tomato.
6. Thick layer of sprouts (you preference to type; we like alfalfa or salad mix) on tomato.
7. Close sandwich

Serve with pickle and chips of choice. Enjoy!

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Since I don't think I've posted this one, I'll share the sandwich that Mrs. Shiverstone and I have been having regularly the past few months: the Power House sandwich.

1. Two slices of think whole grain bread.
2. Mayo on slices.
3. Sprinkle Spike! seasoning thickly on mayo.
4. Three slices of Havarti or Muenster cheese (or go crazy and mix them!) on one slice of bread.
5. One or two thick slices of tomato (ideally, heirloom tomato) on top of the cheese. You want it edge to edge tomato.
6. Thick layer of sprouts (you preference to type; we like alfalfa or salad mix) on tomato.
7. Close sandwich

Serve with pickle and chips of choice. Enjoy!
That sounds lovely! Have you considered adding some fresh basil leaves to the mix?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Been binging on sandwiches made with my beer-braised corned beef. Here’s one:

GSrde54.jpeg

This one featured beer-braised corned beef on toasted sourdough, with Cotswold cheese, diced green onions, dill pickle slices, mayo and yellow mustard.

VPurzin.jpeg

On this one, the Cotswold cheese was replaced by onion Monterrey Jack, the green onions by radish sprouts, and the yellow mustard by spicy brown mustard. Also, there was mayonnaise involved.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
F1bBfd3.jpeg

Fried catfish on onion bagel for Mom.

79rpZII.jpeg

Fried oysters on onion bagel for me.

On the last day of Lent 2023, Mom wanted a poboy for dinner…the day AFTER we went to a deli and got a dozen bagels and lox spread for the same purpose.

I pointed this out, so we compromised: I got a combo platter at a nearby Creole restaurant, and I made poboys at home, using the bagels instead of French bread. I didn’t have any lettuce, but otherwise, the “po oys” were fully dressed with butter, mayo, tomato, pickles and tomatoes. (Plus Tabasco on mine.)

All in all, it made for a nice change of pace. Would do again.

Zardnaar

Legend
Fried catfish on onion bagel for Mom.

Fried oysters on onion bagel for me.

On the last day of Lent 2023, Mom wanted a poboy for dinner…the day AFTER we went to a deli and got a dozen bagels and lox spread for the same purpose.

I pointed this out, so we compromised: I got a combo platter at a nearby Creole restaurant, and I made poboys at home, using the bagels instead of French bread. I didn’t have any lettuce, but otherwise, the “po oys” were fully dressed with butter, mayo, tomato, pickles and tomatoes. (Plus Tabasco on mine.)

All in all, it made for a nice change of pace. Would do again.

You can keep those ones;)

Attachments

• IMG-305d877b79100b20439f3ff7a09f8ab4-V.jpg
    IMG-305d877b79100b20439f3ff7a09f8ab4-V.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 49

Remove ads