Up from the Dust: IC

Ashy

First Post
Kelleris said:
Ashy, what's the time delay here? I guess whichever character belongs to mps42 will have a few minutes to get into trouble before we arrive?

OOC: Correct - those characters with Adauth are not quite to the structure yet; you can all see, however, Kal, standing in what is now an open doorway to the structure...

mps42, reply asap if you want to have an action before the others arrive....

Ashy

First Post
The rest of the group arrives at the structure, and they see Kel standind before an open doorway. Pale wan light spills out onto the snow before the doorway. A light, but steady, snow begins to fall and the last strains of what you believe to be daylight finally ebb away. A thick blanket of darkness descends quickly and tiny pinpricks of light - stars, but stars unlike any among you have ever seen - glimmer in the far-away blackness...

It is terribly cold and many of you feel your hands, feet, ears and other extremities going numb.

OOC: You are all together again.

Kelleris

Explorer
"All right then." Concentrating for a while, Adauth casts several spells before preparing to enter what he feels to be a dangerous situation. He looks back up after a minute and there is a new and reassuring confidence in his eyes. Raising a hand and uttering another incantation fills the immediate vicinity with a pearlescent and faintly greenish light.

Walking forward, Adauth almost physically thrusts Kalador aside. Hmm... A holy symbol of Pelor, but he's heavily armed. Perhaps a paladin? Typical to stand there gawking and making our presence known, anyway. Peering surreptitiously into the gloom, Adauth tries to spot any particularly impressive magical auras, and listens for any clues he might hear.

After glancing to the side in a moment of indecision, Adauth turns and motions Nebiros forward. "Go in there and check things out before we head in. I doubt it's trapped, but these doors seem to be pressure-sensitive. Pay particular attention to the stairwell and to whatever's going on below. Those seem the most likely avenues of attack."

Nebiros - Inspire confidence for either Search or Spot, for a +8 bonus.

Ashy - [sblock] I'm casting detect magic, heroism, and light. While I do this, I'm trying to keep from being seen by whoever's in there. Some skill checks: Spot 13 / Listen 19 / Spellcraft 28 / Perform (oratory) 27 / Knowledge (history) 29 / Bardic Knowledge 26 / Hide 25.

Just use whatever's appropriate. Oh, incidentally, the marshal's auras are Ex abilities. [/sblock]

Last edited:

mps42

First Post
Kelleris said:
"All right then." Concentrating for a while, Adauth casts several spells before preparing to enter what he feels to be a dangerous situation. He looks back up after a minute and there is a new and reassuring confidence in his eyes. Raising a hand and uttering another incantation fills the immediate vicinity with a pearlescent and faintly greenish light.

Walking forward, Adauth almost physically thrusts Kalador aside. Hmm... A holy symbol of Pelor, but he's heavily armed. Perhaps a paladin? Typical to stand there gawking and making our presence known, anyway. Peering surreptitiously into the gloom, Adauth tries to spot any particularly impressive magical auras, and listens for any clues he might hear.

After glancing to the side in a moment of indecision, Adauth turns and motions Nebiros forward. "Go in there and check things out before we head in. I doubt it's trapped, but these doors seem to be pressure-sensitive. Pay particular attention to the stairwell and to whatever's going on below. Those seem the most likely avenues of attack."

Nebiros - Inspire confidence for either Search or Spot, for a +8 bonus.

"OOF. Good sir, if you wanted to be first through the entryway, you had only to ask."

I will quickly get inside the structure and, if I am the last one in, will attempt to close the aperature again to keep the cold out. If not, I will walk slowly around the room to try to determine where the sounds are coming from.

Ashy

First Post
Kelleris said:
Ashy - [sblock] I'm casting detect magic, heroism, and light. While I do this, I'm trying to keep from being seen by whoever's in there. Some skill checks: Spot 13 / Listen 19 / Spellcraft 28 / Perform (oratory) 27 / Knowledge (history) 29 / Bardic Knowledge 26 / Hide 25.

Just use whatever's appropriate. Oh, incidentally, the marshal's auras are Ex abilities. [/sblock]

Kell: [sblock]Nothing in the area is magical, save your companion's items, of course. Also, from far down within the structure's central shaft, you think you hear running and "No!" "No!" being shouted over and over again, almost as if someone was being attacked.[/sblock]

Kelleris

Explorer
"By Pelor's pant--"

Adauth flushes in embarassment at his sudden oath, drawing his weapon at the same time.

"No offense intended, sir, sorry," he says, glancing at Kalador.

I don't know what's going on, it's like I can't think clearly for some reason. And I wasn't expecting to meet anyone out here...

"Okay, scratch that, we're moving, people! Someone in there is politely requesting immediate assistance."

As he says this last, Adauth is already jogging towards the sound he heard, weapon at the ready. May as well lead by example, since I'm having an inexplicably hard time getting a real handle on the situation, he thinks darkly.

"There's someone down there shouting for help, and I think I can find them. Keep on your toes, people, this should be an excellent opportunity to let off some steam after being abused by an overgrown minnow and dragged through a snowdrift!" Adauth is trying to keep everyone's mind off the oppressive surroundings and keep them moving.

Everyone - Inspire courage +2 for a +2 morale bonus to attacks, weapon damage rolls, and saves versus charm and fear. Assuming I haven't offended you too much already. ;)

Ashy - [sblock] Okay, disregard the latter part of my last post. Natural 20 on a Listen check, for a total of 32, to follow the sound. Oh, and a Will save (a 22) in case the sound is actually a kenku, a blue dragon, a green hag, or something like that. [/sblock]

Last edited:

LeifVignirsson

First Post
Grundakar

Grundy stops everyone else for a moment, looking at Adauth with a slight look of concern.

Wait one moment... You are telling me that there is someone asking for help in there and yet I don't hear or see anything. We are in a strange building and who knows what type of traps could be in here... I know you are anxious to lead us, but you have to understand why I am less than thrilled to be running headlong into a trap just because someone wants to show us his leadership skills. Let's send a few people down there first, to check things out while the rest wait inside, by the door. That way, if there is a trap, there will be more room to fight outside than in cramped quarters.

Good think, boss! Valandra purrs as she rubs up against his hand like a cat.

Any volunteers for scouting duty?

Remove ads