[UPDATED AGAIN!] SOUTHLANDS HEROES - New Character Options for D&D From The Folks Who Made TYRANNY O

Strange...there is no 5E Southland Campaign Setting (only Pathfinder), but a pdf for 5E?

Strange...there is no 5E Southland Campaign Setting (only Pathfinder), but a pdf for 5E?

26 pages.
No one in the credits I recognize from Tyranny of Dragons. Designed by Rich Howard, Development byDan Dillon.
6 new races, 4 new backgrounds (with 3 extra variants)

Oh man... I wanted to like this since I was just talking about the lack of player-centric 3rd Party Products. But my review might not be very flattering...

I was also a Kickstarter backer of this - haven't seen anything from Kobold Press yet about whether or not backers would receive this. It's exactly what I'm hoping for as I run 5E, not Pathfinder, so I hope to get word soon on whether I need to buy the PDF separately.

Oh man... I wanted to like this since I was just talking about the lack of player-centric 3rd Party Products. But my review might not be very flattering...

I too am looking forward to your review. I was very impressed with the Pathfinder campaign setting but would rather walk into a 5E conversion with open eyes rather than just assuming it'll be the best thing since sliced bread.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I just impulse bought it because it sounded interesting and it wasn't too pricey. It's not a horrible product but I don't recommend it because I don't think I'll use it or read it again. I was interested in some of the races (particularly the lizardmen, hiveless, and gnolls) and the alternate class features (particularly the Hivemaster and Circle of the Swarm) but none of those options were especially inspiring. Some of the options were on par with a homebrew option that I developed myself rather than an original options that is vastly different than the ones in the PHB. On the positive side, I liked that they made base features for some of the races then gave variant features that could be swapped out. Take X for your werelion instead of Y.

The bottom line is I like to make characters even though I'll never get around to playing them, so usually there's something in a book like this that will inspire me to flesh into a full character. But I don't think I'll use this book even for that.

Remove ads

Remove ads