[UPDATED AGAIN!] SOUTHLANDS HEROES - New Character Options for D&D From The Folks Who Made TYRANNY O

Strange...there is no 5E Southland Campaign Setting (only Pathfinder), but a pdf for 5E?

Strange...there is no 5E Southland Campaign Setting (only Pathfinder), but a pdf for 5E?

Wow, I can't believe they were so brazen to completely copy the Aasimar from the DMG. That's, well, not smart.
I know! I double and triple checked because I couldn't believe it.

I imagine the author was just used to Pathfinder where you could do that, and whomever was editing or checking didn't think to compare.

Patrick McGill

First Post
Reading through the book (it's very short), I'm actually quite impressed. The production is excellent and what flavor is there is good. I will mimic Jester's complaints about the formatting and the classes, however. I think I enjoy it overall more than he did, and I think it's definitely worth 5 dollars. Not so sure about the regular price, however.

Patrick McGill

First Post
Thanks for this. I saw it was cheap on RPGNOW but I wanted to see what outside thoughts were before I threw down any money.

Seems I should just steer clear of Kobold Press stuff and from your review it sounds like they are pathfinder guys that don't know as much about 5E as some of us around here lol.

I'm actually going to put myself out there and say Kobold usually does some very quality stuff. I find their World Building resources invaluable, and their mag Kobold Quarterly was fantastic. The people in that company are very good at what they do.

It's unfortunate, but the Tiamat stuff was being worked on while 5th edition was still in development, which kind of threw a wrench in that book. You are right in that they definitely have a handle on Pathfinder stuff more so than 5e stuff from the looks of things, but I definitely encourage you to not overlook them.

Grimjack99

First Post
@ Jester: Just read your review. Nice. It really gave me an good idea of what the product was and wasn't. For me, sounds like more "wasn't" than I wanted. Thanks.

arjomanes

Explorer
I just picked this up. I haven't dug deep into it, but I think it looks like some very interesting options. I may have to tweak a few of the character options for my game, but this is really great for me as a DM to offer my players some more options.

Thanks for this. I saw it was cheap on RPGNOW but I wanted to see what outside thoughts were before I threw down any money.

Seems I should just steer clear of Kobold Press stuff and from your review it sounds like they are pathfinder guys that don't know as much about 5E as some of us around here lol.
:(
That's not the reaction I wanted. As [MENTION=6749334]Patrick McGill[/MENTION] says, Kobold Press does a lot of good stuff. This book just needed a little extra editing and attention to the details of 5e. I don't think it's representative of the company.

I can't really blame them. There's not a new OGL, so it's not worth it to have a 5e expert on staff or on call. They likely rely on the same dependable staff that does Pathfinder, people they know who have experience with a product they can reliable release books for. That means asking people to design and edit a product for a system they're less comfortable with, which is going to cause problems.

Remove ads

Remove ads