• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[UPDATED AGAIN!] SOUTHLANDS HEROES - New Character Options for D&D From The Folks Who Made TYRANNY O

Strange...there is no 5E Southland Campaign Setting (only Pathfinder), but a pdf for 5E?

Strange...there is no 5E Southland Campaign Setting (only Pathfinder), but a pdf for 5E?

Barantor

Explorer
I'm actually going to put myself out there and say Kobold usually does some very quality stuff. I find their World Building resources invaluable, and their mag Kobold Quarterly was fantastic. The people in that company are very good at what they do.

It's unfortunate, but the Tiamat stuff was being worked on while 5th edition was still in development, which kind of threw a wrench in that book. You are right in that they definitely have a handle on Pathfinder stuff more so than 5e stuff from the looks of things, but I definitely encourage you to not overlook them.

I'll say I never overlook anyone completely, but when I see repeats of things bad in my preferred game then I tend to not weight them as heavily as those that put out really great stuff.

Also Patrick we are in the same town... PM incoming lol!

The races aren't overpowered except for the werelions which are "Close enough". Could you expand on what is or isn't unbalanced?

The real concern is in the subclasses. Here the risk of powercreep is acute.
The werelion can assume an animal form (a panther) swapping their statblock like wild shape, but retains their hit points. Which sounds potent but might not be that amazing in play. So I'd want to see it in action.

The sorcerer class seems balanced on a read through. The lizardfolk rogue subclass is ass. The other two just swap the animals you can bond with, wild shape into, and some spells. Fairly neutral in balance.

arjomanes

Explorer
Glad I got my copy already!

I'm hoping this doesn't cause them to delay more 5th edition-compatible content. I really like the Midgard setting, and I'm hoping to see more from them. In particular I'm hoping to see conversions of their older material. I'd especially like to see the Zobeck and shadow fey stuff converted over to 5e.

Completely astounding that someone slipped the content from the DMG through. I guess that's a danger of the 3PP environment; editors need to be on their game. Shame on Kobold Press for publishing it (they should know the DMG backwards and forwards by now), but more-so on the freelancer who submitted it. I just hope that person didn't get paid for the race description they "wrote".

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Huh-- I was hoping to see how they did Gnolls and Lizardfolk. Those are things WotC hasn't tackled and may not tackle for a very long time.

Dehewes

First Post
I just noticed that Southland Heroes is not on drivethru or rpgnow and the print copy is listed as unavailable from the Kobold Press website. Hmm....

Dehewes

First Post
And now it has already been updated. I bought it before it was taken down and a side by side comparison shows only one change - the aasimar. All of the racial traits have been removed - one will need the DMG to get those, I guess but the racial variants remain.

I hope this is a good sign that WOTC is willing to allow third party material as long as word for word use of text does not occur.

Remove ads

Remove ads