[UPDATED AGAIN!] SOUTHLANDS HEROES - New Character Options for D&D From The Folks Who Made TYRANNY O

Strange...there is no 5E Southland Campaign Setting (only Pathfinder), but a pdf for 5E?

Strange...there is no 5E Southland Campaign Setting (only Pathfinder), but a pdf for 5E?

It's been updated again. Changes I've noticed:
The aasimar had it's lore increased (restoring the original pagination).
The minotaur charge power and Tosculi glide power were rewritten and are much tighter.
The lizard archetype has been completely revised and is not great, but feels much improved.
The bookmarks are fixed (they might have been fixed last time but I honestly forgot to check)
The arrangement of the minotaurs powers has been corrected.
Usage of square brackets "[" rather than parenthesis "(" in the backgrounds has been removed.

All in all it's a much improved book. And kudos for Kobold Press in fixing all these errors. Despite the small nature of these changes, the book feels a much better purchase now.

(Although, nitpicking, one of the bonds on page 15 is *still* missing its alignment.)

Gillywonka

First Post
Good supplement. I bought this to see how others were using creatures from the MM as PCs and I like what they did.

I’m GMing a campaign where my players are using creatures from the MM as their PCs. I gave them a choice of orc, ogre, hobgoblin, minotaur, lizardman, bugbear, gnoll or hobgoblin. For ability stats, I used the MM and BRP/RQ SRD monster stats. They then did a point buy build from the creature’s average stats. So, what am I trying to say? Don’t worry about balance, too much concern for that. Throw it out and let your GM take care of that in his storyline and scenarios. If a PC creature is stronger, faster or larger, then let them be just that and don’t disadvantage the race for the sake of balance. Let the creatures be their real self, not like “look, there be hill giants… oh, and that one is smaller, I bet it’s the PC”. Keep the creature as is, is what I’m saying. Of course you should talk with your GM first and tweak a little bit if needed, but you get the gist of what I’m saying.

The campaign I’m running now with the monster PCs. They’re robbing travelers and somewhat sacking villages. What the players don’t know is, when they’re playing their good PCs, they will run into their bad PCs and stuff will hit the fan (They wont know this until it happens and hopefully they’ll realize it when I describe their opponents… then they’ll roll for attacker and defender). Anyway, as long as your GM is good with all this and you’re having fun, go with it.

EDIT: I wish they made it more print friendly. the background printing as grey makes is harder to read and it spools up a lot of memory.

redrick

First Post
It's been updated again. Changes I've noticed:
The aasimar had it's lore increased (restoring the original pagination).
The minotaur charge power and Tosculi glide power were rewritten and are much tighter.
The lizard archetype has been completely revised and is not great, but feels much improved.
The bookmarks are fixed (they might have been fixed last time but I honestly forgot to check)
The arrangement of the minotaurs powers has been corrected.
Usage of square brackets "[" rather than parenthesis "(" in the backgrounds has been removed.

All in all it's a much improved book. And kudos for Kobold Press in fixing all these errors. Despite the small nature of these changes, the book feels a much better purchase now.

(Although, nitpicking, one of the bonds on page 15 is *still* missing its alignment.)

If that many changes were made within a couple weeks of releasing the product, it almost feels as if the release was so "stealthy" that it stealthed past some of the internal QC protocols entirely... Like somebody pressed "post" when they meant to press "submit for final approval."

Anyway, glad to hear that they are making what sounds like much needed changes and improvements.

If that many changes were made within a couple weeks of releasing the product, it almost feels as if the release was so "stealthy" that it stealthed past some of the internal QC protocols entirely... Like somebody pressed "post" when they meant to press "submit for final approval."

Anyway, glad to hear that they are making what sounds like much needed changes and improvements.
I imagine it was more a case of needing it done for GenCon.

Remove ads

Remove ads