Using a shield as a main weapon.

Oofta

Legend
What would you say the rarity is on a weapon like that. At a minimum is probably very rare due to adamantium right?

Well, the adamantine property for armor is uncommon (and more thematic for the shield than anything) so that's not the issue. The returning property is more of an problem. If you base it on a Dwarven Thrower then it should be very rare. Note however that the hammer is also a +3 weapon and doesn't have the restriction of not targeting the same target (I ruled in my home campaign that you could make multiple attacks with the hammer) so I would probably make the shield rare.

I'd also make the shield an inherited item that grows in power as the character levels as well. So at higher levels it could get pluses.

OzDragon

First Post
Something like this?

Oofta Family Sheild: This shield of the Oofta family is handed down from father to son. It has special properties that are unlocked through use.

Prof +1: This shield does D6+str damage and gains the thrown property with a range of 20/60
Prof +2: You gain the ability to don this shield as an interaction. (drawing a sword). You gain proficiency with this as a martial weapon. the weapon gains +1 to attack and damage.
Prof +3: This shield gains the returning property.
Prof +4: If you have more than one attack when you throw this weapon you can cause it to ricochet and hit multiple targets up to the number of attacks you can make. ( you can only hit a target one time during this attack, Each target must be within 10ft of the previous) +2 to attack and damage.(total)

Last edited:

Rossbert

Explorer
First thanks for the response. I was not thinking about two weapon fighting because I don't think you should be able to get the AC bonus if you do that. With an open off hand you could readjust your shield after attacking to give the AC bonus.

This works less if you go the abstraction that while combat has to occur in turns for sanity, all actions are somewhat concurrent. If you take an attack, you don't just take an attack and adjust, you take a dozen attacks and maybe a couple slip past their guard and connects while you are dodging, weaving, running, etc. When you use your shield as a weapon you are jabbing and swinging it over and over to create some sort of opening for a solid push and slam.

(This gets weirder when you consider the HP as stamina idea)

I don't like the issues raised by treating something as armour and a weapon at the same time (disarming, for example). In my games, I rule that things you wear (armor, shields, jewellery, etc) are not weapons.

Weapons are things you carry, not wear. You can pick them up using an object interaction, you can drop them for free, you can be disarmed of them.

If you want to bash someone with your shield, I treat it exactly the same way as if you want to headbutt someone with your helm or kick someone with your armoured boots - make an unarmed attack.

I did add a house rule that unarmed attacks do more damage if you are wearing medium or heavy armour or using a shield. A punch from a metal gauntlet should hurt more.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Here's a way to bump the 1d4 bludgeoning to 1d6 piercing:

Lizardfolk Spiked Shield does 1d6 piercing damage. It's a monster weapon, though, and not on the PHB weapons table, which means that using one as a PC means you are not proficient.

However, Weapon Master feat gives proficiency in any four weapons of your choice. This is a feat I have never seen anyone take, as it's almost always better to take a one-level dip in fighter. Except: here, you can choose the Lizardfolk spiked shield.

Tavern Brawler is still a better investment.

EDIT: Also, unlike using a shield as an improvised weapon, I think it's clear that the Lizardfolk shield gives both the defensive bonus and the opportunity to attack in the same round.

Last edited:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
We use weapon groups for proficiencies. One of those is Shields - meaning you are proficient to use as weapons. I have stats for each. We use Defensive as a weapon property. So the AC bonus = Defensive value of shield/weapon. If you attack with that weapon you lose the Defensive bonus until the next round. However, we also have feats/archetypes that let you KEEP the defensive bonus.

http://connorscampaigns.wikidot.com/all-weapon-stats has the Shield Weapon Group and stats.

If we did not have these measures, I would simply say a Shield Brawler feat lets you do all these things that you ask.

Satyrn

First Post
I don't like the issues raised by treating something as armour and a weapon at the same time (disarming, for example). In my games, I rule that things you wear (armor, shields, jewellery, etc) are not weapons.

Weapons are things you carry, not wear. You can pick them up using an object interaction, you can drop them for free, you can be disarmed of them.

If you want to bash someone with your shield, I treat it exactly the same way as if you want to headbutt someone with your helm or kick someone with your armoured boots - make an unarmed attack.

I did add a house rule that unarmed attacks do more damage if you are wearing medium or heavy armour or using a shield. A punch from a metal gauntlet should hurt more.

That concern is pretty much why I was treating the "fighting shield" as a weapon. It just happens to look like a shield, and it has a weapon property that adds an AC bonus as a reaction.

And were I to actually include this in the game, I'd call that property "Parry" and introduce a couple other weapons with it.

jasper

Rotten DM
Something like this?

Oofta Family Sheild: This shield of the Oofta family is handed down from father to son. It has special properties that are unlocked through use.

Prof +1: This shield does D6+str damage and gains the thrown property with a range of 20/60
Prof +2: You gain the ability to don this shield as an interaction. (drawing a sword). You gain proficiency with this as a martial weapon. the weapon gains +1 to attack and damage.
Prof +3: This shield gains the returning property.
Prof +4: If you have more than one attack when you throw this weapon you can cause it to ricochet and hit multiple targets up to the number of attacks you can make. ( you can only hit a target one time during this attack, Each target must be within 10ft of the previous) +2 to attack and damage.(total)
I like this. I would not allow it to count as a shield (+1 to ac not +2) until Prof +3. Gives the theme of Cap's shield and a small AC bonus.
I did this in a homebrew AD&D game but add some crazy extra attacks after x number times used.

Remove ads